Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Rota tee-shirt

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2007, 09:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vostok 7
+1, that's why I personally wouldn't trust Rotas as far as I could throw them.

And just being OEM for the Philippines division of Chrysler-Mitsubishi (I assume in the '80s since they haven't been associated as that since then) means nothing on the grand scale of things.

I would probably get Rotas as a set of winter wheels but that's it.

Most people who are anti-Rota aren't buying Rotas because they aren't JDM, most people don't buy Rotas because they've heard the horror stories like in the link above as to why Rotas aren't good wheels.

And you don't have to spend ungodly amounts of money for good and JDM wheels. You don't have to buy Works or Volks or anything like that. Enkei's for instance are much cheaper and are just as good. And they DO actually OEM for A LOT of car manufacturers and in fact also OEM a lot of "uber JDM" wheels.

Vostok 7
A+. Enkeis are great wheels and they're really wallet friendly!
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:40 AM
mot
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by XK120
It's some JDM fanboy shirt...honestly people who think Rotas are crap are pretty ignorant IMO. Rotas come OEM on a number of cars and even some race cars have run them (I'm sure Subydude could supply the pictures). If somebody has problem with bang for the buck then why did they buy an Evo in the first place??
jeez alex i expected more from you

hes right rotas are a good bang for the buck i suppose but lets take a look at the facts

this info is taken from og-made a blog in which the coolest guy ever tells his story of life and his dealings with jdm companys i beleive he works for endless

"What really pisses me off is that ROTA has the cajones to say that their **** is ”A world-class quality wheel, meticulously designed, and superbly engineered. A product that can compare with the best in the world.- both in style and in performance,” as quoted from their website. And then to the left we see evidence of their quality in their Work Emotion copy (not that the Work Emotion is a good wheel to begin with)."

this guy knows his stuff and has proof these wheels are garbage and unsafe in most cases

up above i saw someone say i dont race i just like to drive fast
well keep driving fast on a wheel that has a hairline crack in it froma tiny pothole in nyc and youll see why im willing to spend 3000$ on quality parts
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mot
jeez alex i expected more from you

hes right rotas are a good bang for the buck i suppose but lets take a look at the facts

this info is taken from og-made a blog in which the coolest guy ever tells his story of life and his dealings with jdm companys i beleive he works for endless

"What really pisses me off is that ROTA has the cajones to say that their **** is ”A world-class quality wheel, meticulously designed, and superbly engineered. A product that can compare with the best in the world.- both in style and in performance,” as quoted from their website. And then to the left we see evidence of their quality in their Work Emotion copy (not that the Work Emotion is a good wheel to begin with)."

this guy knows his stuff and has proof these wheels are garbage and unsafe in most cases

up above i saw someone say i dont race i just like to drive fast
well keep driving fast on a wheel that has a hairline crack in it froma tiny pothole in nyc and youll see why im willing to spend 3000$ on quality parts
Excellent post. I agree totally with your final statement.

I DO race and it never ceases to amaze me how cheap people can be. Body kits and shift knobs are one thing, but safety equipment like seats and harnesses and wheels and tires and brakes? They're protecting your life and you're going to get the cheapest crap you can?

You get what you pay for. I'm not trusting a $800 set of wheels to propel my 3000lb $35k car.

If you're comfortable with that, more power to you. I understand not being able to buy "the best". But at the same time, you don't have to go completely cheap. It's as easy as just saving up for a little while to get the good stuff.

Vostok 7
Old Jul 2, 2007, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

If you guys have any sort of Engineering Background you'll realize that the cost of the expensive wheels are based off research and development cost and production cost. The expensive wheel makers use top of the line raw materials to produce the strongest and lightest wheel possible given the specific design of a wheel.

Each wheel is modeled in 3d and analyzed for possible stress points and etc. After the stress points are discovered the design is altered to provide more strength to the problem areas. After this the wheel is actually manufactured and it goes through a couple of machines that can properly mimic real world problems - giant potholes, rotational forces, hard braking and hard acceleration. If problem pops up then the wheel is redesigned again. Remember that all this time two factor are constant - 1. what alloy is being used to manufacture the wheel. 2. the wheel is most likely forged (thats why its expensive). These 2 things determines its performance characteristics in the various tests.

Cast vs Forged wheels is another topic altogether involving Physics and Chemistry. But the general consensus is Forged wheels are at least 2x as strong as a cast wheel and definitely lighter.

All that Rota does is buy the expensive wheel and do a cast of that specific wheel and mass produce a copy with a sub-par alloy to save cost. Even if their copy was 100% accurate this doesn't change the fact that the materials will never be the same. Most likely that the original wheel was forged so it has completely different characteristics to a cast copy of a wheel.

Your argument is flawed if you say that I roll on Rota's coz I don't race. How many times have you floored the gas at second gear? Can you guarantee that you will never hit a pothole that is 2 feet across at speeds over 30MPH? Can you guarantee that you'll never brake hard to the point of engaging your ABS because there was an accident in front of you in a freeway? All of these scenarios will provide enough stress to actually temporarily reshape a wheel. Question is will it spring back to shape and still be as strong as the day you got it? Or will it develop hairline cracks that will eventually make one of your spokes or break off.

Lastly my family knows the owners of Rota and I saw their manufacturing facility a few years back. Unless they changed some of their manufacturing procedures recently I would never use them even if they were free due to the reasons stated above. It's gambling on your life and the life of your passengers.

Last edited by ArcticHaze; Jul 2, 2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 01:33 PM
Former Sponsor

EXTREMELY well-thought out and intelligent post! Great work
Old Jul 2, 2007, 01:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Yeah... very nice thorough post

Last edited by DrivelineSales; Jul 2, 2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

3rded, excellent post.

Vostok 7
Old Jul 2, 2007, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

excellent post!
Old Jul 2, 2007, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

I still haven't seen a thread on this site stating "My Rota's Cracked" or "My Rota's came apart" or "Accident caused by Rota's". I saw one guy with a STI reply to one of the Rota threads, saying his Rota wheel cracked after he went in to a ditch. Other then the post above by MOT, showing one example.
I'm not trying to defend Rota, only trying to see or hear all the horror stories of failed Rota wheels and I don't see that on more then one site. With all the Rota's being sold, and there are a lot being sold, you would think there would be a certain percentage failing, if the design was that bad.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mdsevo06
I still haven't seen a thread on this site stating "My Rota's Cracked" or "My Rota's came apart" or "Accident caused by Rota's". I saw one guy with a STI reply to one of the Rota threads, saying his Rota wheel cracked after he went in to a ditch. Other then the post above by MOT, showing one example.
I'm not trying to defend Rota, only trying to see or hear all the horror stories of failed Rota wheels and I don't see that on more then one site. With all the Rota's being sold, and there are a lot being sold, you would think there would be a certain percentage failing, if the design was that bad.
Why take the risk? That's my feeling. The fact is there have been some that failed. You see a much lower ratio of failing wheels from bigger manufacturers. To me I'd rather spend a few hundred extra to get a lower risk of failure than take the chance that my $800 Rotas could or could not fail at any moment.

Besides, how do you know those people just aren't checking? There could be micro fractures and tiny cracks that could be nearly invisible that could cause the wheels to fail at any moment. Just because wheels don't seem to be failing doesn't mean they won't. I'd rather eliminate the risk by buying wheels that are certified and guaranteed and tested more thoroughly, not to mention correctly engineered from the get go as ArcticHaze mentioned.

Vostok 7
Old Jul 2, 2007, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BigBADGSX
this shirt?
On a side note, who ever made the shirt should quit spending so much on jdm parts and fork out some cash for grammar lessons…
Old Jul 2, 2007, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

^you must have rotas....^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old Jul 3, 2007, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

^^ haha be nice
Old Jul 3, 2007, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SoFlaBBY
My only problem with Rota is that they are completely unoriginal. They make a great quality product and by now have become a big time rims manufacturer, so why can't they at least come out with 1 or 2 of their own styles. Instead they have to steal designs from other companies. No creativity whatsoever...my only beef with them.
wow good thinking. not like the Volk RE30's dont look alot like a BMW m3 wheel... Rotas are very nice for the money, and not that heavy.

There is no such thing as a"new design". so many things have been created that everyone copies everyone now.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Peteypab2133
wow good thinking. not like the Volk RE30's dont look alot like a BMW m3 wheel... Rotas are very nice for the money, and not that heavy.

There is no such thing as a"new design". so many things have been created that everyone copies everyone now.
Rota blatantly copies designs. They aren't even similar, you are comparing apples to oranges. What I don't understand is the offsets they offer, if you are going to steal wheel design, at least offer some non lame offsets.