Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Cost of painting stock Enkei's

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2007, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have also heard of this happening. painting is your best option.

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
Don't powder coat... paint. The powder coat process can f up your wheels to the point that if your running on a track they can break.

Just get some Rustoleum, sandpaper and spend a day doing it yourself.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by electrixevo
Alright well I like the gloss, so powder coating works for me, you like the flat look, so painting works for you, I won't get pissed, post em up. Well if mine break ill have you paint my next ones
Ship them to Hawaii and buy me some beer and we got a deal
Old Jul 11, 2007, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by electrixevo
Alright well I like the gloss, so powder coating works for me, you like the flat look, so painting works for you, I won't get pissed, post em up. Well if mine break ill have you paint my next ones
Ship them to Hawaii and buy me some beer and we got a deal
Old Jul 12, 2007, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I talked to some guys who work at a body/paint shop today, they recommended powdercoating due to its durability. They said that powdercoating does not integrate itself into the metal, it only bonds to it. So, I am going to go with powdercoating and not take any chances of the paint rubbing off.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GraphiteEVOIX
I talked to some guys who work at a body/paint shop today, they recommended powdercoating due to its durability. They said that powdercoating does not integrate itself into the metal, it only bonds to it. So, I am going to go with powdercoating and not take any chances of the paint rubbing off.
It will still come off. Just because it's powdercoated doesn't mean it's protected from anything. A friend out here had his done and almost as soon as he left they got ****ed up. They're also gonna get ****ed up when you mount new tires.

And we know the powdercoat doesn't integrate itself (don't know where that came from)... it's the heat from curing that causes the microcracks.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
It will still come off. Just because it's powdercoated doesn't mean it's protected from anything. A friend out here had his done and almost as soon as he left they got ****ed up. They're also gonna get ****ed up when you mount new tires.

And we know the powdercoat doesn't integrate itself (don't know where that came from)... it's the heat from curing that causes the microcracks.
this story is true...i cant think of his name..he has a black IX..paid $75 per rim to get PC black..picked up from the shop,drove to show us and had a chip mark.

i have used rattle can on my wheels...sanded them down and did them gold then sanded them down and did black...comes out nice..why spend $75 per rim to be sprayed!thats retarded.

spray can FTMFW

just take your time...rough up the wheel,take the clear off,the enkei symbol etc...start low grit and work your way up to smooth it out..if it fisheyes or anything then stop spraying that area.set in the sun wait to dry and then light sand and re-shoot it..

if your doing any color other then black make sure to tape the tire well..if its black who cares about taping.i never did for black.

oh and i have NEVER had a chip mark,etc...spray can bites very well
Old Jul 12, 2007, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spray can are just as good or even better than powdercoating if you do it right.