Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

claybar

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2007, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
claybar

has anyone used a claybar? for their evolution ? what is the purpose and does it have to do with making the car shinner ? i'm using a zaino wax at the moment on my car and was thinking about getting the claybar
Old Jul 19, 2007, 09:33 PM

claybar is not used to make car "shinner". LOL

It removes almost everything: sap, tar, small rust spots, etc.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

o i c thanks i didn't know that's why i ask
Old Jul 19, 2007, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

helps take the hard dirt off the paint.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

claybay is recommended by zaino to help give that lusterous finish... its not necessary at all but its nice 2 do once a year roughly. if u have no clue about claying, u should do alil reading...
Old Jul 19, 2007, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lanevokai
o i c thanks i didn't know that's why i ask
It ok I had the same question @ one point after spending hours with the claybar. So I did half the hood with claybar and the other side I simply waxed with Mothers. Could not tell the diff. So I went over the area that was claybared with wax still could not tell a visual diff however the side that got the clay seemed smoother.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

if your car never gets exposed to many contaminants, you may not have seen much of an improvement.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-clay.html

another site:
http://www.autogeek.net/clbaandlu.ht...FRX2ggodsyNzMA

I prefer the Mequires over the ClayMagic. It seems softer, and the lighter colour allows you to see the contaminants better.

Just be sure to really wash your car well first.

Having a good helper make the job go easier...

Last edited by ixmrgg; Jul 19, 2007 at 10:24 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Your car's paint can use a claybarring (is the the term for using a claybar? ) if you wash it and it still feels gritty. A claybar will remove surface imperfections very well, so once you wash the car, claybar it, wash it again, and wax it, it will be VERY smooth.

People say this will prolonge the life of your paint. I believe that since you really are getting it clean. But take note that claybarring an entire car will take a long time! But I've always liked the end results, even if it may not be obvious
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ixmrgg
if your car never gets exposed to many contaminants, you may not have seen much of an improvement.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-clay.html

another site:
http://www.autogeek.net/clbaandlu.ht...FRX2ggodsyNzMA

I prefer the Mequires over the ClayMagic. It seems softer, and the lighter colour allows you to see the contaminants better.

Just be sure to really wash your car well first.

Having a good helper make the job go easier...
The softer clay means thats its not as abrasive and wont take off some of the harder to remove sap, tar, etc. I was using chemical guys clay before and loved it. I then needed some to do a job and had to go get some Meguiars. It did the job, but not as well. If its really important buy the better stuff.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:31 PM

After you claybar, you need to wax. Claybar clears everything off the paint. Need to protect you paint with a coat of wax after claybarring.

Jason
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:35 PM
Account Disabled

i love claybars, keeps the car uber smooth but its definitely a pain to do a full car...i like to do sections...
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:38 PM

EVO Sparkle in 3 (not always so easy) steps...

Want your car to sparkle...three steps...
(set aside some time and energy if you do it yourself on a DD)

1-clean everything off of paint with 1000 grit, compound or claybar...work it so there is no wax, dirt or debrit left on the car but only as hard as you absolutely need to do so you don't damage the surface just get it smoothed down to an even surface (that dirt and debrit stuff will actually scratch the paint) and wash it in shade (no sun!!!) and use filtered or soft water for sure

2-cleaner wax (at least 2 coats most will argue that paste wax is necesarry here)

3-top coat wax glaze (that new ice product actually works OK for this)

Note: sometimes it is just easier to go to a pro detailer and have it done, look at some work they did though...black car in the sun is best way to judge there work.

Keep it clean always, and try to use touchless car washes. I like black cars, what can I say. I should post some pics of my EVO in the sun...no swirls...but man is it work at least 2wice a year to do at least 2 & 3 and then figure out you need to go back to step 1 or it will look like crap.

Last edited by CheesyEVO; Jul 19, 2007 at 10:43 PM. Reason: oops...hit return on accident and posted
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm ive never heard of putting a coat of wax glaze over cleaner wax...I currently just use a coat of cleaner wax to coat my 2. It shines, but since it's an old car, I'm trying to keep the paint in good condition...I'll probably have to try that.

Any suggestions on the products to use?
Old Jul 20, 2007, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Cali2MDevo8
After you claybar, you need to wax. Claybar clears everything off the paint. Need to protect you paint with a coat of wax after claybarring.

Jason
correct me if i'm wrong, you definitely want to wax after claybar, but i thought claybar only removes contaminants, not wax.

Last edited by UCLAevoIX; Jul 20, 2007 at 07:10 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

A clay bar will remove any wax that is on your car. So it is always a good idea to use some sort of sealant afterwards ( glaze, wax, etc.). I agree that claying an entire car will take a long time...so don't do it. I usually only hit spots like the front bumper, the hood in areas needed, side view mirrors, and then I will do any spots that look like they need it.

Quick Reply: claybar