Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

ClayBar

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2007, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok so lets see some pic's now
Old Sep 20, 2007, 05:57 AM

You can use any claybar in two ways.
1. Wash car, dry car, and then use clay lube to glide the bar over your paint.

2. Wash car, dont dry car, use clay lube, and water from hose to glide the bar over your paint. (this is the method I use on customer cars)

tips. Use very short movements, back and forth. Think 4-5in long strokes.
When the bar gets dirty roll it into a ball and expose a new surface.
Only use 1/4 of the bar at one time, because if you drop it (and you will, sooner or later) that 1/4 peice is now wasted! As opposed to wasting the whole bar.
You should polish after using a clay bar. Clay bars are very abrasive, I dont car what the box says, how do you think the bar gets out all of the grime?
If you own a light colored evo than maybe you will be able to get away with not polishing. But, on black, you must polish.

Mike
Old Sep 20, 2007, 09:02 AM

In the process of Clay barring the crap out of my TB evo and it really looks incredible.... Worth the time and effort for the outcome. I use Mothers claybar and then meg. polish and finally mothers wax, amazingly smooth and nice and glossy.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by A1monky
You can use any claybar in two ways.
1. Wash car, dry car, and then use clay lube to glide the bar over your paint.

2. Wash car, dont dry car, use clay lube, and water from hose to glide the bar over your paint. (this is the method I use on customer cars)

tips. Use very short movements, back and forth. Think 4-5in long strokes.
When the bar gets dirty roll it into a ball and expose a new surface.
Only use 1/4 of the bar at one time, because if you drop it (and you will, sooner or later) that 1/4 peice is now wasted! As opposed to wasting the whole bar.
You should polish after using a clay bar. Clay bars are very abrasive, I dont car what the box says, how do you think the bar gets out all of the grime?
If you own a light colored evo than maybe you will be able to get away with not polishing. But, on black, you must polish.

Mike
This is a good tip. What kind of polish do you use? I tried the turtle wax's polish compound and it seems to leave swirl marks on car, even after waxing it.

Do you know how to remove swirl marks?

Thanks.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

i use detail spray as lube for the claybar.......
Old Sep 20, 2007, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
claybar just removes dirt and road debre from the top coat. after you use the claybar the bar itself should look dirty.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Make sure that you claybar/wax/polish your car in the shade on a cool surface! I can't count how many times I see people doing the above outside in the sun. It really does make me feel sad, to the point where I have actually stopped my car, gotten out, and told the guy he was screwing up. You can wash your car in the sun, providing it is around 80 or so or less...anything hotter and you will want to invest in a cheap-o little shelter thing (whatever they're called) because the water will just dry up too fast. make sure to keep the car moist as to not let the water dry. Once washed, roll the car into a shaded area and dry. Like some of the above members have stated, there are lubricants out there that you should use when using the clay bar. Water isn't advised because A) it will leave water spots when it dries and B) it's not the best lubricant. I personally use the meguiars and it comes in a kit with the lubricant, which also acts as a quick detailer. On another side-not, if you find your self out of "clay-bar lube", you can substitute it with a quick detailing spray. I also like to divide the clay-bar into about 6 pieces, that way if I accidently drop a piece, I don't loose the whole thing (DONT REUSE THE CLAY-BAR IF YOU DROP IT....ITS DEAD, LET IT GO!) Do one panel at a time, after you rub they clay on it, wipe off the residue . You can either wash your car again, or just wax on top. Honestly, it depends on the spray that you use in conjunction with your clay-bar and I've found that re-washing the car after using the Mequiars isn't necessary. But, if your over ****, or you really want to, go for it

Regards,

Ben
Old Sep 20, 2007, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tvbf1
This is a good tip. What kind of polish do you use? I tried the turtle wax's polish compound and it seems to leave swirl marks on car, even after waxing it.

Do you know how to remove swirl marks?

Thanks.
AHHHH!!! Just say no to turtle wax...no no no no no X1000. For swirl marks, I HIGHLY recommend Zaino products.

Regards,

Ben
Old Sep 20, 2007, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
car polish liquid is usually included with a claybar . Spray a small area at a time, claybar it and wipe it with a microfiber towel.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BenJ
AHHHH!!! Just say no to turtle wax...no no no no no X1000. For swirl marks, I HIGHLY recommend Zaino products.

Regards,

Ben
Where can you get Zaino products? I've never seen it in any of the autoparts store here in the west coast.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 02:07 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

Definitely do not use just water with a clay bar. Use a quick detailer, clay lube or your car wash solution as a lubricant. A clay bar will stick to the paint and can scratch the paint if not properly lubricated.

After claying, your paint is nice and smooth and ready for some wax/sealant to protect it.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tvbf1
Where can you get Zaino products? I've never seen it in any of the autoparts store here in the west coast.
Most autoparts stores do not carry Zaino. You can either buy straight from them at www.zainostore.com or from various detail stores, such as www.autopia-carcare.com which I buy from frequently.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BenJ
Most autoparts stores do not carry Zaino. You can either buy straight from them at www.zainostore.com or from various detail stores, such as www.autopia-carcare.com which I buy from frequently.
Thanks
Old Sep 21, 2007, 07:57 PM

When I clay bar my friend's 7, my hands and forearms hurt almost as much as the day I discovered there was **** on the internet.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Lol

Quick Reply: ClayBar