Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

ClayBar

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2007, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zainowax.com
Old Sep 22, 2007, 07:54 PM

Zaino's some pretty good ****, I find it so pricey up here though =/
Old Sep 22, 2007, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
claybar removes all wax so make sure to seal your paint after your done.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 11:32 PM

Ok so I am using the Mothers Clay bar kit on my TB evo and I just finished the car up yesterday afternoon and it looks amazing sitting in the garage and all, from pretty much any angle that you look at it. Up close or far away it looks amazing. However I grabbed my shop light bc it is alittle dark in my garage and I was working on something inside the car and I come outside and shine the shop light over the car and it looks horrible I mean scratches out the *** and swirl marks that were not there before I clay bared, I mean really really bad...... However as soon as you take the light away it looks perfect. The process I went through is as follows

1. Wash with meg. car wash using only a microfiber sponge and a nice gentle water pressure.
2. dry with a microfiber drying cloth ( the one with the waffles on it)
3. I make sure that the area I am going to clay bar is super clean so I mist it with water in a water bottle just to make sure and then dry it again with a microfiber towel.
4. I then clay bar the area using very very little pressure and a lot lot of mothers lube that they supply in the kit. Making sure to kneed the clay a lot. and only using back and forth motions
5. dry the area with a microfiber towel again.
6. Polish the area with Megs. polish and a microfiber pad. letting it sit for less an a minute and wiping it off with a microfiber towel.
7. Finally wax with mothers wax and a microfiber pad letting it sit for about 10 to 15 minutes then wiping with a microfiber towel again.

So what is the problem why did it look so bad with the light on it? The light is super bright and I took it outside to see what it looked like in the sun and it looks really good can't see any of those scratches and stuff that I saw before however it did not get direct sun light and I am wondering if it is going to look really bad. Anyone know why it looked really bad????
Old Sep 23, 2007, 05:22 AM

I use the Ice liquid clay bar and the results are the same as my neighbors (non mitsu owner) clay bar kit both of us have black vehicles although mine is Tarmac Black and you know here in the sunshine state it is hot. After I was the car very well (Iuse Dawn very good at removing road grime among other stuff) I just do one section at a time rubbing the section the same direction and rinse well after I have completed the whole car I was the car again with Dawn and wax with Meguiars Gold Class paste. I only was with Dawn when I do the liquid claybar or I am rewaxing the car as you know dawn removes the previous wax from the car.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bluebyu36
i just rinse it off and do it while the whole car is wet
I do the same
Old Sep 29, 2007, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostedteg99
Ok so I am using the Mothers Clay bar kit on my TB evo and I just finished the car up yesterday afternoon and it looks amazing sitting in the garage and all, from pretty much any angle that you look at it. Up close or far away it looks amazing. However I grabbed my shop light bc it is alittle dark in my garage and I was working on something inside the car and I come outside and shine the shop light over the car and it looks horrible I mean scratches out the *** and swirl marks that were not there before I clay bared, I mean really really bad...... However as soon as you take the light away it looks perfect. The process I went through is as follows

1. Wash with meg. car wash using only a microfiber sponge and a nice gentle water pressure.
2. dry with a microfiber drying cloth ( the one with the waffles on it)
3. I make sure that the area I am going to clay bar is super clean so I mist it with water in a water bottle just to make sure and then dry it again with a microfiber towel.
4. I then clay bar the area using very very little pressure and a lot lot of mothers lube that they supply in the kit. Making sure to kneed the clay a lot. and only using back and forth motions
5. dry the area with a microfiber towel again.
6. Polish the area with Megs. polish and a microfiber pad. letting it sit for less an a minute and wiping it off with a microfiber towel.
7. Finally wax with mothers wax and a microfiber pad letting it sit for about 10 to 15 minutes then wiping with a microfiber towel again.

So what is the problem why did it look so bad with the light on it? The light is super bright and I took it outside to see what it looked like in the sun and it looks really good can't see any of those scratches and stuff that I saw before however it did not get direct sun light and I am wondering if it is going to look really bad. Anyone know why it looked really bad????
When you clay your car, it really brings out all of the imperfections, especially with a black car. It will bring out marks that you previously didn't know were there. To combat this, use a good polish and get all of those swirls marks and minor scratches out of there. Also, a point of interest, when you clay your car......do not re-use the clay...if u drop it, don't re-use it. Also, something that I do that works great and minimizes a lot of scratches, is I use a leaf blower to dry off the car.

Regards,

Ben
Old Sep 29, 2007, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boostedteg99
Anyone know why it looked really bad????
Because claybar is abrasive and your really bright light is able to shows the scratches it left.

Your procedure sounds good to me. If you want to remove the claybar scratches, you'll have to do a better job polishing. But if they're not normally visible, you may not want to worry about it.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

question about claying. i just installed a jdm rear and we put painters tape on it so we wouldnt chip it while riviting. now i have lot of tape residue and other black marks. i was just going to clay it on these areas and use spray detailer. am i good to go or is there something else i should know?
Old Sep 29, 2007, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jjm4life
question about claying. i just installed a jdm rear and we put painters tape on it so we wouldnt chip it while riviting. now i have lot of tape residue and other black marks. i was just going to clay it on these areas and use spray detailer. am i good to go or is there something else i should know?
Claybar might work, but isn't really the right tool for the job. Try something like Bug & Tar Remover or Goo Gone. And re-wax/seal afterwards.