Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

deft racing silver CF hood on tarmac black

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
deft racing silver CF hood on tarmac black

I was just looking to see if anyone had done this combo, and how it turned out. I was really looking to do white cf, but I guess they do not make it.(I know it sounds like it would be ugly, but if attempt it, I will do much more to accent it, like trunk and roof. Basically the opposite of what has become the "cool" thing to do, with CF standing out on lighter colored cars.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 03:12 AM
Evolved Member

I never understood the reason why every one wants the carbon fiber look? Are you not doing it for weight savings? It look so much better if you paint it to match the color of the car otherwise it really looks like you jacked up your hood and got another one from the junkyard and diidn't paint it... Just my opinion though. I know I have seen red carbon fiber more like maroon on my buddies VW Corrado and I've seen the silver/grayish.. Good luck with your search!!!
Old Sep 26, 2007, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by slvrr
I never understood the reason why every one wants the carbon fiber look?
Different tastes lol

Answered your big question

Give it a shot bud. One potential problem though, and it might sound silly BUT... white carbon fibre would look awfully similar to a ricebag. Literally. Go to an asian food store and check out the bags of rice and i swear it looks like white carbon fibre.

Get some groceries while you're there - don't want to be rude
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Skipmaster J
Different tastes lol

Answered your big question

Give it a shot bud. One potential problem though, and it might sound silly BUT... white carbon fibre would look awfully similar to a ricebag. Literally. Go to an asian food store and check out the bags of rice and i swear it looks like white carbon fibre.

Get some groceries while you're there - don't want to be rude
sounds to me like an idea for a cool decal on it...
put the rice bag logos on it...
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Carbon replacement hoods on most Evos and white carbon in general = Booooooo. Fail. In fact, I think carbon fiber is one of the most overrated materials at the consumer level. Unless it's dry carbon and/or *significantly* lighter than aluminum for the same application, it's simply rice.
I work for a company that sells white carbon high end bicycle components and even those are teh fail IMO. Just my .02.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

buying a c/f hood because it's cheaper than repainting your stock hood with insurance money = t3h win.

Plus Tarmac Black w/ c/f hood = t3h s3x0r.

Last edited by QwikEVO; Sep 26, 2007 at 10:35 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah there's always that argument I suppose... My front bumper lip is beat up with a few busted tabs, and I'll admit I've considered just slapping an aftermarket carbon lip on, but I probably won't.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't say that just because it's for looks, it's rice. Changing your wheels is rice? Everyone with tint is a ricer? Not EVERY mod you do to your car has to be to make it faster. And if you honestly think the few pounds difference in your aluminum hood and that lead-lined behemoth carbon fiber hood makes your car faster, you need your head checked.

I think carbon fiber looks great. I can understand random people thinking you have a junkyard hood or trunk, but who cares what some 40 year old driving in a Tercel on the highway thinks? Do it because you like it. Now a silver CF hood on the other hand... jk
Old Sep 27, 2007, 12:09 AM
Evolving Member

I just like to do things different, and really do not care what people think of how my car looks(I drive a 3 colored CRX too). I'm not trying to make it a race car, I just want to change up the looks a little. I've put about 5K of performance parts in my evo, but nothing appearance wise, so I think it is time to change things around a little bit. I just wanted to see what it might look like, before making at 1000 dollar mistake.