Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Evo IX MR HID Foglight Install **PICS**

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2007, 06:32 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts
Talking Evo IX MR HID Foglight Install **PICS**

Well today I finally took some newer pictures of the car because my old ones were getting out of date. It was getting dark and I had just finished washing the car so I decided to do this HID thread. In August I bought a HID conversion kit from www.xenoneyes.com and installed them myself. Here are the results. Keep in mind because my car is a 2006 Evo IX MR it comes with the stock HID lights in the projector lowbeams. I put the HID's into my foglights.

I really like this pic...here it is getting dark and I didn't use the flash, it came out really cool looking....

I have had the HID kit in since August and I havent had any problems with them. I intend on purchasing a kit to replace the halogen high-beams with HID also, but not until I can take the front bumper off and find a good location to mount them so the job is very professional. I intend on replacing the stock HID 4300K bulbs with 6000K bulbs when they burn out, but I see no need to waste the money replacing perfectly functional bulbs just yet.

I would have to say that whenever I need my lights on I always turn the foglights on to match the lowbeams. It makes a big difference. I am very happy with the color the 6000K's have.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow....that bright man....
Old Oct 20, 2007, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow i need those
Old Oct 20, 2007, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice

i dont know anyone whose stock HIDs burnt out yet, so i think you're going ot be on the 4300s for a while . lol
Old Oct 20, 2007, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

How bout a shot of the light output on the ground Please
Old Oct 20, 2007, 07:34 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gtfour43
How bout a shot of the light output on the ground Please
I'll do that tomorrow. I put these same style HID's in my Ranger Pickup too. It is SICK. I did the Lowbeam/Highbeam and the foglights. (the low/hi is the same bulb for my truck) The ranger doesn't have projector lights so that stuff is BRIGHT. I love driving my truck now. 6000K is an amazing color. It has a little bit of blueish to the light but not enough where the cops are going to think you have excessively blue lights and pull you over.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

whoa they almost could consider as high beams being that bright geez lol
Old Oct 20, 2007, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

i have to get me some of those
Old Oct 20, 2007, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

i bet that is so briiight!
Old Oct 20, 2007, 07:45 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

The thing that is really different about the EVO is that the foglights are in the headlight assembly. Because of this Mitsubishi has to aim them down so much because of the angle. The result is that the HID's aren't glaring up into people's eyes. Even know these 6000's I installed in my foglights are brighter than my lowbeams they still do not shoot super far and light up as far away as my stock HID headlights on the outside of my pictures. The fogs do the "close" lighting, and the projector lowbeams do the "far" lighting. If your sitting in the car and try and look as low in front of the car as you can you can see a big difference. If you think this is bright you guys will crap your pants if you see my ranger.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 01:06 AM
Evolved Member

Wow you could damn near see anything at night!
Old Oct 21, 2007, 01:17 AM
Evolved Member

I really need to do HID's in the fogs! Looks damn good!
Old Oct 21, 2007, 08:07 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

I have learned an immense deal about HID's and headlights by doing all of this work. I see you say "you can see anything!" but you have to understand the difference of how projector lights and reflector lights work.

With a projector light if you swap an HID into it it will only be brighter because the HID is brighter. There is no real difference in the angle of the light that escapes though the projector opening. This is what the guys who swap thier NON-HID evo lowbeams to HID lowbeams are doing. Yes it is brighter, only because the HID bulb is brighter.

Now if you have reflector lights (like I do in my Ranger Pickup) it makes a BIGGER difference. The HID bulb itself is a bigger source of light and it is not as focused as a little halogen filament. It reflects back into the reflector and shoots out at a much wider angle. Not to mention the source is much brighter than non-HID. It makes a much bigger difference. (This is technically why the HID replacement kits are illegal, not that I care) When I put the HID's in my ranger I went with a lowbeam/highbeam bulb because the lowbeam and highbeam are in the same bulb in the truck. I got the "bi-xenon" HID type for them that move back and forth to simulate the highbeam/lowbeam effect. I also got a set for the foglights, and with the truck being much higher off the ground compared to the EVO it is awesome. I took it out for a 25 mile drive that very night without adjusting the headlight aim and I got flashed at 4 times by other drivers. When I got home I aimed the lights against the garage and adjusted them down a bit so it wasnt blinding other drivers. I have been driving them this way for about 2 months now and I barely ever get flashed at now. It still looks great and I really enjoy it to no end. If your looking to spend some money on your car HID conversions are a good "smile per dollar" investment. Only tip I would give is to not buy a kit from xenoneyes.com. The reason is that they say "it is 100% plug and play" and they are not. They never sent a clip to connect my factory harness that connects to the input of the ballasts, I simply cut the wire and soldiered it in.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Just plug and play with the HID kit? i tried my HID Kit with my foglight, and it never light up for some reason. I connect my HID kit power source straight from the battery and it light up. Any suggestion guys?
Old Oct 21, 2007, 09:10 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

The ballasts have inputs and outputs, 4 wires total. The input should be the 12 volts and ground that used to go to your halogen bulb. The output positive and negative will go to the new HID bulb.

Quick Reply: Evo IX MR HID Foglight Install **PICS**