Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Car Wash and Wax

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2003, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also am a Zaino believer.

I did claybar my wife's Evolution VIII when we got it though. The car appeared to have a lot of rail dust upon close inspection.
Old Mar 30, 2003, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

I've been using Zymol with great results. Still beading after a year in hot ,wet , Miami weather!

This Zaino stuff sounds pretty good though - you guys have me sold. I gotta try it some time.
Old Mar 30, 2003, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Ok infomercial man (WRX1832). Just curious how long those $12 bottles last (ie, how many times can you do a car with one bottle?)

I guess you need the Z-1 and then the Z-2 (for clearcoat) right?
Does this stuff go on easier than regular waxing? Does the hase come off easier than waxing?

I really hate washing/waxing cars, so I'll try anything to do it less often and faster.

Anyone know of any stuff (acid) that will take off baked on brake dust? Did a track event on my stock rims and tires once as it was pouring rain and now I can't get the baked on brake dust off. The store bought wheel cleaner are not strong enough to eat through this stuff? I was thinking of a wire brush, but that will scratch up the rims..... ideas?
Old Jul 12, 2003, 10:26 AM
Account Disabled

Car Wash and Wax

I got lazy today and went to a nice car wash place that washes all types of nice cars. Spent $60 on wash, vacuum, and wax. A bit too much but I rather go here than some other joint that might use dirty towels or dont take good care of the car. It ended up very nice but dropping $60 didnt make me feel so good. Thats what I get for being lazy on this semi hot day.

Anyways, what do you guys use to clean your car, and what type of waxes do you use? Do you use mitts or towels?
Old Jul 12, 2003, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I spend about an hour hand washing the car. I'll use meguiar's soap to sponge the whole car down including the rims (rims take forever to wash well!). Then I'll use the Absorber (like a synthetic chamois) to dry the car up. After it's all dried, I'll spray Meguiar's HotShine on the tires to get it dark and nice. In the end, I'll use Windex on the side windshields and mirrors.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 11:13 AM
Account Disabled

I heard good stuff about Meguiar products. I'll try to score some deals online. The absorber you talking about is it the yellow rag dilly that you can twist and rinse, and reuse to dry again? Im new to washing cars by hand =)

Any recommendations on what to use to apply the wax on the car? Im on some car care sites, and theres so many different kind of Meguiar waxes. Not sure what to buy.

Last edited by kidnice; Jul 12, 2003 at 11:29 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 11:32 AM

"The Absorber".....every one should stop whatever they are doing and go to Wal-Mart and pick one up
Old Jul 12, 2003, 11:34 AM
Account Disabled

Cool, does walmart carry Meguiar by any chance? If not I was thinking of ordering everything I need from http://www.carcareonline.com
Old Jul 12, 2003, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

zymol.com
Old Jul 12, 2003, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

I use Zaino Z7 car wash (two seperate mits - one for wheels and tailpipe, other very soft clean 100% cotton for body), followed by a 210mph leaf-blower to get the excess water off the car and out of the crevices where it likes to hide. Then I use the Absorber shamois to completely dry the car.

Next I use Invisible Glass cleaner on all the windows, and Black Magic plastic, leather and rubber protectant inside.

Take a couple hours, but I like doing it.

On my "full" days (usually a lazy Saturday like today), I like to use Zaino's clay bar to remove paint comtaminants, then rewash the car followed by another coat of Z5 or Z2 show car polish. Today, I will likely put 2 more coats of Z5 on as I'm going to the DSM shootout next weekend and want it to look extra nice.

In short, Zaino ownz. Check out the pictures on my website in my signature. those were taken with only 5 coats of Z5 on it. It's brighter now that i've got about 8.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 11:48 AM
Account Disabled

Great job there! If I can make my silver evo shine like that...

Like your idea of using a leaf blower to blow the water away, too bad I dont have one handy or else it would make the job much easier. Thanks for your input. As far as wax coating, how long did it take you to do 5 coats on your car? Man all this seems like a lot of work. I dont have access to a hose, so I will have to go to a car wash and use the manual hose to spray the car down =/
Old Jul 12, 2003, 12:02 PM
N/A
Evolving Member

I use either Mothers or Meguires on my car. Both work really well.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 12:23 PM
Account Disabled

Does walmart sell these products? I dont feel like ordering more **** online as the dumb UPS guy doesnt like going up to my apartment(10th floor) and wants me to walk down just to pick up my stuff. I think I should give UPS a call and report this dude. He always has the yellow slip ready when I see him with my package. He also left packages in the lobby mailboxes without buzzing.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

I just put three coats of Zaino on my Evo yesterday. I started about 11:30 and got done around 5:30 or so. I did the whole process with stripping the car, rewashing it, claying it, anf then putting three coats on it. The results are just breathe taking.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by kidnice
Cool, does walmart carry Meguiar by any chance? If not I was thinking of ordering everything I need from http://www.carcareonline.com
Walmart does carry Meguiar's products, but not all of them. Just visit any auto parts shop and they should have it. They're just about the same price online, but you get it instantly. I also have Meguiar's Gold Class wax, but I have yet to use it.

Quick Reply: Car Wash and Wax