Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Car Wash and Wax

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2003 | 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Corey
I just put three coats of Zaino on my Evo yesterday. I started about 11:30 and got done around 5:30 or so. I did the whole process with stripping the car, rewashing it, claying it, anf then putting three coats on it. The results are just breathe taking.

Yeah, it's time-consuming if you are doing the beginning process of stripping off the factory wax. After that though, it's clear sailing. Takes me maybe 1 hour per coat, and with ZFX you can do {recommended} 3 coats in one day. I've gone 4 before.

You using Z5 or Z2, Corey?

Zaino can be purchased online at www.zainobros.com
Old Jul 12, 2003 | 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Corey
I just put three coats of Zaino on my Evo yesterday. I started about 11:30 and got done around 5:30 or so. I did the whole process with stripping the car, rewashing it, claying it, anf then putting three coats on it. The results are just breathe taking.
Why would you want to strip off the factory wax?

Anyways, reason I don't wanna go with Zaino is that it takes too long to do, and after you do it, you don't wanna drive the car for daily tasks, hehe.
Old Jul 12, 2003 | 01:14 PM
Account Disabled

Pardon my ignorance but how do you strip the factory wax off? Say if I waxed my car, and washed it the following week, can I just reapply the wax or do I need to strip it as well? Sorry bout the n000000by q's
Old Jul 12, 2003 | 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

No, you dont have to strip the wax before you wax a car. I haven't heard of that either. You don't really need to wax the car that often, only like once every 3-5 months.
Old Jul 12, 2003 | 01:22 PM
Account Disabled

Cool I thought I would need to reapply the wax after the wash. Thanks for the input again, gosh imagine the time I would be wasting if I waxed the car after each wash.
Old Jul 12, 2003 | 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Just thought I'd chime in and tell any new Evo owners that you will need to use a UV protectant wax on your Evo's rear Carbon Fiber wing to prevent it from hazing,about every three months.
My bother works for Mitsubishi
Old Jul 12, 2003 | 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

K, just checked my Meguair's gold class wax, and it's got UV protection.
Old Jul 12, 2003 | 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Well i detail cars on the side for extra green.

I use a soft mit to wash my car and a damp shammy to dry it and to get any little water the shamy leaves behind I hit it with a microfiber towl.

Best recomondations for a new cars paint.

1. Get a clay bar "mothers makes one u can get at just about any auto parts place# Car must be freshly washed before u do this and do it in the shade. They way u make sure its doing its job is to dragg your pinky on the paint so when your moving the clay on it u can feel it lift up any and all grit and deposits. Claying preps the car for steps 2,3 and will get rid off any overspray on the car etc.

2. Get a nice polish or a polish wax combo and then u can skip step #3. I use Auto Glym super resin polish good stuff apply wiht a soft aplicator rubbing in soft circle motion. Then take it off with only microfiber towels ( others can cause slight scratches etc) do not remove in a circle motion like how u apply the polish it can leave swirls just go back and forth or up and down.

3. Wax and seal that deep shine I use a wax called Satin Cream this is found at detailing supplie stores. Apply same as polish and take off the same this will give the car the shine and glass affect and protect that 30K investment.

Little tips*** hit the front and rear lights with a thin light amount of wax it will bring a nice shine and brand new affect to the light. To keep tires and rims nice and clean with out much effort. shoot the tires with degreeser to get all dressing off so u dont get dressing build up on the tire and shoot some degreeser on the rims so u can do less work on cleaning but dont leave degreeser on rims to long hit one and then spray off.

If anybody has any ? about interior stuff etc drop me a IM I know all the tricks to keep your evo looking better than brand new

Last edited by CACalomino; Jul 12, 2003 at 01:55 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2003 | 01:54 PM
Account Disabled

Hey if your in chicago, I wont mind spending a few bucks having you do it =)
Old Jul 12, 2003 | 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Well if I was in town I would not mind doing it.
Old Jul 12, 2003 | 02:02 PM
Account Disabled

So using the clay is pretty important before applying the wax I take it? Seems like a lot of work rubbing the clay all across the car =/
Old Jul 12, 2003 | 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

ya its alot of work but let me tell u the paint will feel like a babys *** and u will feel hella good after wards its gives a sence of pride not to mention the piece of mind that the car has been done right not halh assed
Old Jul 12, 2003 | 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

I only clay once a year or till the paint feels gritty or not totaly smooth
Old Jul 12, 2003 | 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by AvatarOfWar
I use Zaino Z7 car wash (two seperate mits - one for wheels and tailpipe, other very soft clean 100% cotton for body), followed by a 210mph leaf-blower to get the excess water off the car and out of the crevices where it likes to hide. Then I use the Absorber shamois to completely dry the car.

Next I use Invisible Glass cleaner on all the windows, and Black Magic plastic, leather and rubber protectant inside.

Take a couple hours, but I like doing it.

On my "full" days (usually a lazy Saturday like today), I like to use Zaino's clay bar to remove paint comtaminants, then rewash the car followed by another coat of Z5 or Z2 show car polish. Today, I will likely put 2 more coats of Z5 on as I'm going to the DSM shootout next weekend and want it to look extra nice.

In short, Zaino ownz. Check out the pictures on my website in my signature. those were taken with only 5 coats of Z5 on it. It's brighter now that i've got about 8.
Yup...I used Zaino on my Vette...the Corvette community swears by it...it makes your paint look like liquid glass a mile deep...it is the best, no doubt...especially on dark-colored cars!
Old Jul 12, 2003 | 02:50 PM

Taking care of my Evo is a very zen process, and should be enjoyed rather that approached as "work". I wash my black Evo twice a week with Westleys car wash or Meguires, but I wash the wheels and tire first from a separate bucket as you don't want to wash your car with water that has brake dust in it; I then soap the whole car (in the shade) rinse with cold water and dry with a damp chamois ( real one ), and dry the rims and tires with a terrycloth towel. I use clay on the whole car every six months and I always wax with Mothers Gold carnuba wax (by hand; I believe buffers damage the pain too much), and I buff by hand. I have been washing all of my cars like this for years and never tire of people telling me how good my car looks after I finish.

Quick Reply: Car Wash and Wax