Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Car Wash and Wax

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2003 | 02:49 PM
Admin Emeritus

Just gained 2 HP....

I waxed my wing!

Plus the rest of the car and there are a lot of lines! It took several hours to wash and dry and wax and polish and looks very very nice.

I have been very conservative with my break-in and actually kept the car below 5,000 rpm and 4 WOT's. (xtnct got 2 ) for the first 700 miles. I am hoping a balance of stop and go traffic, some highway miles and smooth shifts will add to the life of the clutch and transmission. I'm not sure the turbo cares but we can compare notes a year from now from the owners who had a more agressive break-in..... like Buschur.

Speedlimit..........

Last edited by Speedlimit; Mar 29, 2003 at 03:22 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2003 | 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

What kind of wax? Any pics? I might try some Zaino on mine soon.
Old Mar 29, 2003 | 04:13 PM
Admin Emeritus

Hi,

I used Maguire's Gold Paste wax based upon the recommendation of some owners here and a professional detailer. My digital camera battery is dead and still looking for the darn charger!

The wax claims to offer some UV protection for the wing so hopefully it will not fade. The car is garaged and not my dailey driver, so that should also reduce the fading probability.

Speedlimit......
Old Mar 29, 2003 | 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

Professional Detailer here I use meguire's, when it has to do with paint. And Mothers when Its something metal (my exhaust and other parts).
Old Mar 29, 2003 | 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Has anyone ever used "Showroom Shine" spray wax?? It was given to me from a detailer the other day.. But I haven't used it just yet...
Old Mar 29, 2003 | 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

I hear Meguires gold class is good but doesn't look as deep or last as long as Zaino. I have also heard great things about Race Glaze. RaceGlaze has a uv protectant. It is supposed to offer the best shine although I heard it doesn't last long.
Old Mar 29, 2003 | 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

I've been a zymol fan for a long time. Really nice stuff. Just make sure your not getting the stuff made by turtle wax ( packaged under the zymol name) from your local auto parts store.
Old Mar 29, 2003 | 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

Lemme tell you one thing spray wax is not very good at all....
Old Mar 29, 2003 | 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

I can't say enough about Zaino. I have tried all the top waxes like Mother's and McGuires and nothing touches this stuff. Besides the great shine it lasts significantly longer then the carnuba waxes. It has been about 8 months since I last did mine and the water still beads up like I did it yesterday.

Check out www.Zainobros.com

Expensive but well worth it.

Mike
Old Mar 29, 2003 | 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

2 words...Meguairs Medallion (20 bucks a bottle)
Old Mar 29, 2003 | 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by WRX1832
It has been about 8 months since I last did mine and the water still beads up like I did it yesterday.

Check out www.Zainobros.com

Expensive but well worth it.

Mike
Weather MOSTLY determines how long your wax will last. Over here WASHINGTON. Where it rains all the time, wax last 2-3 months.
Old Mar 29, 2003 | 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Just gained 2 HP....

Originally posted by Speedlimit
I waxed my wing! Plus the rest of the car and there are a lot of lines! It took several hours to wash and dry and wax and polish and looks very very nice.
... and since I use the same weather station as you, I know it rained after you were done . ... Hope you had a place to hide
Old Mar 29, 2003 | 09:26 PM
Admin Emeritus

I'm a rain maker. I was planning to go to Maple Grove today and it rained. The last 3 times I have attempted to go to Maple Grove it has rained. So .... I went with the flow. I washed the car in the rain then pulled it in the garage, dried it and applied the wax.

It will stay in the garage until the sun comes out again!

Speedlimit.....
Old Mar 29, 2003 | 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Dosnt Zaino have like 9 steps? But heard its the best

what about clay bar,,,, and how do u use clay bar?
Old Mar 29, 2003 | 11:33 PM
Evolving Member

"what about clay bar,,,, and how do u use clay bar? "
No need to clay a car if it's clean, only if the paint feels rough or slightly gritty to the touch. (I like Mothers clay bar better)

"Weather MOSTLY determines how long your wax will last."
You are right to an extent. It's actually high temps that have any impact on waxes. In hot climates, especially on black cars real wax (carnuba) doesn't last. It evaporates/melts off the car. That is why Zaino lasts so long. It's not a wax it's a polish so it lasts significantly longer. The nice thing about Zaino is it prevents contaminents from sticking to the paint. I have never had to clay a car after using Zaino on it, even after 8-10 months. There are about 4 layers you put on but this stuff is easy to work with.

Man, I sound like a friggin comercial. All I can say is anyone that I know who has tried this stuff has not gone back to ANYTHING else.

Mike
(**** about his cars)

Quick Reply: Car Wash and Wax