Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

LOOK:Jdm ix bumper (With) crash beam

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2008, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOOK:Jdm ix bumper (With) crash beam

Where to start????????????
I really wanted to make my car more aerodynamic so I started looking for ways to make this happen. I lowered the car, put on an apr front splitter, and than I read a thread by Bushur about how the stock rear bumper catches a lot of air into it. So I decided to buy a jdm ix bumber. Then I started searching like crazy for ways to keep my crash beam.

I saw a few threads on here about fabricating a new beam. Sooooooooo many things I knew were wrong about that.

I just wanted to use my stock beam. For all the flamers on here that will criticize this notion I hope you read the following:

I think the crash beam is there for a reason. I would want something there in case of an accident...even if it is only rated at 15mph or something like that. If you were to get rear ended without a beam....I would be really worried that an insurance adjuster would deny your claim.

Anyone else who will say its worthless....save the wieght. Search my other threads. I have been killing myself trying to get my cars weight down to 2,900 lbs. So if anyone would want to delete this beam for this reason it would have been me. I am just convinced in a street car this beam is absolutely necessary.

So as I searched I saw this:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=274658

We have a member on here called SophieSleeps who I pm'd about this beam. I don't have the tools to cut and weld my beam myself so I started to ask him many questions about this. He offered to modify this for me for $$$. At first I thought this mod was kind of pricey......................until I started thinking about his whole process of modifying this beam.

He cut, tig welded, and painted the legs of the stock beam. This was done pretty darn professionaly and super quickly. He received, modified, and shipped out the beam all in 24 hours. He can chime in here but the pictures are self explanatory. He just removed about two inches, the legs, and rewelded the plate back on. The beam now sits snug to the car and fits perfect behind the jdm ix bumper.

HERE IS THE STOCK BEAM

HERE IS THE MODIFIED BEAM

ON THE CAR

ONE PIC FROM UNDER THE CAR WITH THE BUMPER OVER THE BEAM.

It was dark tonight to take pictures of my car........but you all know what the jdm ix bumper looks like on the car anyway.

Thanks again SophieSleeps
Old Jan 5, 2008, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow nice write up. I plan on doing the same thing but I'm gonna do mine myself. I saw this when I searched too and liked the idea rather than going without one at all.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

It looks stock and fits great. I just modded mine the same way with my mig welder.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

nice. how much?
Old Jan 5, 2008, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

That is perfect Thanks for posting this I was thinking the same thing about it so I called a friend of mine that works for Ford as a Design engineer and his advice was the same thing you said earlier that if you remove the bar the insurance most likely will not pay up in an accident. Then also you take a risk of injury or worse by removing the bar because it may only being a 5mph bar or 10 or whatever but its tha t little bit hat could be the difference between a dented rear quarter panel and hurting someone in the back seat. So with that being said my kids always sit back there and I wasn't going going to take that chance. I like your idea and dont see anything that would reduce the effectiveness of the bar.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

Is there anything we can do to keep the front bar with a Buschur Race FMIC? Didnt realize it had to come out until I picked up my car in Ohio. So I am now trying to put it back in with some mods or whatever.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

nice write-up. curious how much exactly this was as well.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

Great write-up....... i'll try this when i get my jdm bumper put in.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

this is y i haven't bought a JDM bumper yet even tho i want one. now i see there is a way to keep a-holes from kissing ur back with their front ends if u get rearended. i was rearended in the '05 i had at 35mph & if it wasn't for the rear crash beam, i think my wife & newborn baby at the time would have been severely injured as they both were in the back.

2 give u guys an idea of the impact, the car looked like it was lightly tapped but at the body shop they discovered the rear floor area had buckled...
Old Jan 5, 2008, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by housedj
this is y i haven't bought a JDM bumper yet even tho i want one. now i see there is a way to keep a-holes from kissing ur back with their front ends if u get rearended. i was rearended in the '05 i had at 35mph & if it wasn't for the rear crash beam, i think my wife & newborn baby at the time would have been severely injured as they both were in the back.

2 give u guys an idea of the impact, the car looked like it was lightly tapped but at the body shop they discovered the rear floor area had buckled...
I've always said that but I'm not sure people really listened.
The rear of this car is extremely weak. If you get hit in the back without a bar to spread the impact over both the frame rails your trunk absolutely will buckle and cave in.

If you look at some of the other crash beams that people have created, they don't seem like they're going to benefit you in a crash. Most that I've seen look like they will just break off at the flange.

My opinion is really to have this type of modification done to the crash bar. Take it someplace or have someone do it for you.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 01:39 AM
Evolved Member

one day when im not lazy i need to do that...............hate to see someone rearend me before i get it done i tell ya
Old Jan 6, 2008, 01:50 AM
Evolving Member

looks good now maybe there is hope for me to get the jdm rear now...
Old Jan 6, 2008, 02:01 AM
Evolving Member

OP would you mind PMing me with the info?
as to how much shipping would be and final price?
thank you
Old Jan 6, 2008, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SophieSleeps
I've always said that but I'm not sure people really listened.
The rear of this car is extremely weak. If you get hit in the back without a bar to spread the impact over both the frame rails your trunk absolutely will buckle and cave in.

If you look at some of the other crash beams that people have created, they don't seem like they're going to benefit you in a crash. Most that I've seen look like they will just break off at the flange.

My opinion is really to have this type of modification done to the crash bar. Take it someplace or have someone do it for you.
Hey man. Step in here and tell people you modified this for me......I wrote this to give you the credit for the great work you did and I am getting pm's like I came up with this mod. Thanks again, and believe me if I had the tools I would steel your business but seriously this thread was to give you the credit and refer other members for you.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vial8or
OP would you mind PMing me with the info?
as to how much shipping would be and final price?
thank you
Hey....you should pm SophieSleeps for price and shipment. Just look in the thread above and you can see his aviator to pm him.

Quick Reply: LOOK:Jdm ix bumper (With) crash beam