Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

You Want Sponsorship?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2008, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You Want Sponsorship?

So you want a sponsorship ehh...

In my daily browsing of blogs, I just found this amazing post on OG-Made written by Logan of Aspec Products
(and I figured I would share it with you all)

#1) Shellfish is tasty, SELFISH is YOU: The biggest issue I see today with those who seek sponsorship is a bad case of SELFISH poisoning. Too many that seek sponsorships are concerned with how it AFFECTS them, rather than how they can EFFECT positive results for the company. Always think about the best interests of the company, since as a business, they are not sponsoring you for moral support, they want RESULTS.

#2) Front your own money: In the same regard that it takes money to make money, it takes money to get sponsored. If a sponsor has seen that you’ve put in your own money, then it’s a much more convincing argument to ask for help. If you want to open a business, a bank isn’t going to lend you money based on hopes + dreams + promises. But if you’re putting in $50k of your own money, then maybe the bank will be more willing to hear you out and meet you half way.

#2.5) You can’t ask for what you don’t have: If your car is stock, then you shouldn’t be asking for sponsorship. Period. The only case where you can, is when you have…

#3) Track records like Jackie Joyner Kersee: It doesn’t matter what shows you PLAN to attend, what modifications you PLAN to make, or what horsepower you PLAN to make. What you’ve actually ACCOMPLISHED in the past is a much better indicator of what you can do, so if you’ve got no track record, you have no grounds to make promises you might not keep.

#4) “There’s no such thing as a free lunch”: I remember learning this in money management class in middle school, which essentially means that you can’t get something for nothing. This should be tattoed to your fo’ head if you are thinking of getting sponsored. Since don’t for a second think that the free set of ______ (whatever you got) came with no price tag. So make sure you cover that price on the tag, ya dig?

#5) Hustler is not only a wonderful magazine: It can also be used to describe the nature in which you need to act after being sponsored. If you promised to do a bunch of race events, or appear in show competitions, or magazine shoots, DO NOT under any circumstances not fulfill those duties. In addition, try to go above and beyond, don’t just do the bare minimum. The more exposure you generate for a company can never hurt, except when:

#6) You confuse EXPOSURE for GETTING RESULTS: Just because you put something sponsored on your car, and run all kinds of stickers doesn’t mean diddly doo. Is that going to generate more sales for that company? Who is going to see it? Is the event going to get coverage? If people see it, will they even take notice, or be influenced to want to find out more or make a purchase?

#7) Mo Money, Mo Problems: Just for example, say that a company gives you a free set of wheels. How many wheels do you think they need to sell to pay for the cost of your sponsored set? Don’t get it twisted though, it’s not about the amount either. Even if the part is something small like a shift knob, you should still give your best effort, regardless of value of the item.

#8) This industry is TINY: I’m talking about aftermarket automotive specifically. Manufacturers and shops don’t have oodles of money to spend giving out to sponsorships, simply because that money goes into RUNNING THE BUSINESS. This industry isn’t filled with high profit margins, and this shouldn’t come as a surprise. All you lowballers (who also have Selfish Poisoning) make it worse, by trying to squeeze every last dime of profit from shops, just so that your wallet stays fatter. I like getting a good deal as much as the next guy, but you gotta remember that as a consumer you get what you put in.

#9) Ali G Says: RE-SPEK. At the end of the day, it’s all about respect. You don’t want to be the “dude who we sponsored and wasted our marketing budget.” You want people to hold you in high regards, and speak highly of you and your capabilities. It doesn’t matter how much $$$ you’ve got into your car, how fast it goes, or how rare the parts are. If people don’t like or respect you, then you’ve got nothing. (Did that sound too Toretto-like?)

#10) Privateers owe nothing: The best part about paying for everything on your car yourself is that the only person you need to report to is: YOURSELF. So sometimes it’s better to just do it on your own dime.

But what do I know? Beats me (hope you brought salt grains). All I know is the value of making it worth someone’s time. If it’s not going to be worth the sponsor’s time, then I would rather not accept it. I gotta sleep at night, and having a clear mind is much more valuable to me than a free set of ______.

For the link to the post itself, please copy the link below:
http://www.og-made.com/
Old Feb 4, 2008, 12:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 233 Likes on 159 Posts
Old Feb 4, 2008, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All valid points; thanks for the post.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
depressing.....
Old Feb 4, 2008, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

That post makes me want to go hug my sponsors

- Patrick
Old Feb 4, 2008, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

^ +1
Old Feb 4, 2008, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That makes a lot of sounds, really good points there.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

I guess it's really an industry-based post, but I figured I would share it here. Honestly the post is very well written, logical, and thorough. OG-Made is full of great points of view without the industry-tired ranting (which you will see in many other blogs). It was finally nice to see someone really touch the whole "what it means to be sponsored" bit.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

any comments from sponsored people? is it worth it?
Old Feb 4, 2008, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Well everything you got for free its worth it. It makes to do things easyer. If you think its not worth it , probably you shouldn't do it at all.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

I don't have a sponsor. I've done so much to my car.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

go out to the track and get something done , it promising or looks promising. Then eventually you will have one.

but dont be tooo happy, if you get one. i got some , i'm still financing my own raceing over 80%. I will be happy if that number will go down around 40 %.

just because you got some things done for free or parts for free. The racing costs, wearing etc is still my money. But this is how its started for me in the past too.
I still remember in my origin country my friend wonder garage. Where we fabricated modifications for the race cars without sponsors. Then we did go out there to race and slowly we got recognized, so on. Back then zip ties and tapes ,hammers etc where our instruments....
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent points from Logan
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

i love ogmade. good stuff info and links. why is this in show and shine tho ?..i'm so far in on my car i want o finish it out of pocket to. though a tire sponosrship would be sweet

Last edited by vtecTHIS; Feb 5, 2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:57 AM
Account Disabled

makes sense to me

not worth the effort, I'll buy my own parts