Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

home link?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2003, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
home link?

Out of curiosity is there any way to put that home link sun visor thing on the EVO? I mean is that thing just build into the visor or is it attached to somthing else in the car. The reason I sak is i had one on my Lexus and it was mad convieint. Anyway its a stupid convieince thing but better than having 2 or 3 huge clickers on my sunvisor

thanks

BA
Old Jul 29, 2003, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Here is a very cool one I plan to do really sleath too. You open your garage door with your highbeams.
Garage Door Opener Mod!

Tony
Old Jul 29, 2003, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

thats cool too, except i have 2 different openers one for home and one for work i am really gonna be pissed if i have to have a bunch of fricken clickers in my car
Old Jul 29, 2003, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

Wire the hot side to each one of your blinkers one on the left and one on the right. So when you put your right blinker on it activates your home garage and when you put your left one on it activates your work garage or vice versa.

Tony
Old Jul 29, 2003, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

or find a company that makes a home link visor? heh

that other method is cool, but not nearly as dependable as homelink. plus who wants to chop up a perfectly good remote
Old Jul 29, 2003, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

i agree home link is the best. Good luck on finding it.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

To find the company that makes the homelink go to www.homelink.com there is a list of vehicles with homelink. I work at the company so I (of course) had to install one in my EVO. The wiring and headliner disection was easy the problem was the outer bezel is designed to snap through fabric (about 1mm thick) into the module that is typcially placed in the visor. The EVO headliner is about 5mm thick so I had to have our prototype shop modify the snaps on the bezel for me. Overall the install looks staight from the factory so I'm happy. We make a bunch of modules so I am keeping my eyes out for one that will be easier to install for folks who don't have access to lots of bezels to modify (or screw up .... whatever) or a fully stocked prototype shop.

Another option is to go to MITO Corporation's web site and buy a mirror with homelink in it. That option is a bit pricey depending on which mirror you like $200 - $360. DOH!

The domelamp is a perfect place to get power that's not a problem. If/When I find something I'll post it with pics and such.
Attached Thumbnails home link?-homelink.jpg  
Old Nov 26, 2003, 08:25 AM

That's still a pretty looking install. i would have suggested the homelink site, but I guess insiders get first dibs. What do you think about putting the transmitter on the sun visor like Lexus does or something like the 2g Eclipse?
Old Nov 26, 2003, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

The visors in this vehicle are extremely cheap (construction and cost). Another company makes them and they are not intended to support and real weight (like a homelink module). If you squeeze them you'll find that they are pretty spongie. The visors that we make to hold the homelink are basically two plastic clam shells that are melted together (with the homelink enclosed inside). I'm not aware of any visor (ours or other companies') that you can take apart and successfully put back together without having them look like ****. About the only thing you can do from a visor point of view would be to remove the visor entirely and replace it with one that has homelink in it (however the odds of another vehicle's visor fitting the bracketry, size, shape, etc. are slim to none). I will keep looking for other alternatives and let you know what I find. I am thinking that if I can find a close color matching visor with a different bezel with longer retention snaps, I can give some instructions on how to get the homelink module out of the visor and into the headliner.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 11:41 AM

homelink bezel

message for ground chuck,

I just completed a homelink installation in a ford ranger sun visor. The bezel looks the same as your posted picture. Problem is that I had the bezel in and out so many times, its not staying put. Any idea where I could get just a grey bezel?

Thanks,
John
Old Apr 11, 2004, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey can anyone fix the link tonyMS posted? I'd like to know how to open my garage door using highbeams or turning signals.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Re: homelink bezel

Originally posted by jbarnes
message for ground chuck,

I just completed a homelink installation in a ford ranger sun visor. The bezel looks the same as your posted picture. Problem is that I had the bezel in and out so many times, its not staying put. Any idea where I could get just a grey bezel?

Thanks,
John
JBarnes, I'm not sure how the homelink modules are sold in the Ford Service Department at your local dealership but I would try them first. You might get lucky and find that you can buy just the outer bezel. If not, try the junkyard. As you've noticed, they are only good for about 2 or 3 installs then they get a little weak.

FYI (to others) - I have not found a good Homelink that will retrofit very well into the headliner without a lot of crafting of the outer bezel.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 04:36 AM

Thanks GC.

The last time I checked, the dealerships just sell the whole sun visor. The junkyard pickings for homelink parts are slim up here in Vancouver. The unit I have actually came from a Sebring from EBay. Removing it from that sun visor caused most of the damage.

Just thought you might have an inside track on a bezel.
John