Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

OEM Wing Installation for Evo RS

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2008, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Wing Installation for Evo RS

I recently purchased an RR '04 RS a couple days ago and was wondering about installing an OEM spoiler. I bought an OEM RR spoiler from a fellow member here on EvoM (thanks Shocker!) and it should be arriving soon. Here's my questions. Can installing this be a do-it-yourself job or should I take it to a dealer and see how much a service fee would be? What's your thoughts on this.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KingofGlory777
I recently purchased an RR '04 RS a couple days ago and was wondering about installing an OEM spoiler. I bought an OEM RR spoiler from a fellow member here on EvoM (thanks Shocker!) and it should be arriving soon. Here's my questions. Can installing this be a do-it-yourself job or should I take it to a dealer and see how much a service fee would be? What's your thoughts on this.

Look under your trunk lid... there are flat spots in the sheet metal for the forward holes (towards the rear window), and the rubber stoppers unscrew to reveal the locations for the rear holes.

Cover the top of your trunk (mounting area) with masking tape (prevent scratches) Take your new wing and make a template out of paper or stiff poster board from the mounting points.

Now line them up on top of the trunk by checking measurements (center of bolt/holes) etc and also check the alignment under the trunk for the above locations mark the locations with a marker on the tape.

Make a hole by starting with the smallest drill bit you have. Check to see of the the hole lines up correctly. This way if you need to move the hole 1mm or so it won't be a big deal. If you screw up, hopefully you will just end up with elongated holes. Remember... it all gets covered up when the wing goes on.

Dont forget to paint the inside of the holes before final assembly.

It's easier than it sounds.

Remember...

Use plently of masking tape.
A sharp marker (sharpie)
Take your time
Measure twice (or three times), and drill once.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 01:08 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Or swap your trunk with someone else. I am sure plenty of people are looking for an RS trunk and would be happy to swap.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ Both are good info
Old Mar 13, 2008, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

too bad you're soo far away or i'd trade you trunks
Old Mar 13, 2008, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by my-red-rs
Look under your trunk lid... there are flat spots in the sheet metal for the forward holes (towards the rear window), and the rubber stoppers unscrew to reveal the locations for the rear holes.

Cover the top of your trunk (mounting area) with masking tape (prevent scratches) Take your new wing and make a template out of paper or stiff poster board from the mounting points.

Now line them up on top of the trunk by checking measurements (center of bolt/holes) etc and also check the alignment under the trunk for the above locations mark the locations with a marker on the tape.

Make a hole by starting with the smallest drill bit you have. Check to see of the the hole lines up correctly. This way if you need to move the hole 1mm or so it won't be a big deal. If you screw up, hopefully you will just end up with elongated holes. Remember... it all gets covered up when the wing goes on.

Dont forget to paint the inside of the holes before final assembly.

It's easier than it sounds.

Remember...

Use plently of masking tape.
A sharp marker (sharpie)
Take your time
Measure twice (or three times), and drill once.

good info
Old Mar 13, 2008, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

It sound's like a DIY job, doesn't sound hard at all. Remember that doing your own work is very rewarding . Just make sure you have all the tools you need and plenty of time to do it. You should be fine.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 09:06 PM

Thanks for the info! I'm pretty sure I can do it.