Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Removal of Evo Hood Vent

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2003, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removal of Evo Hood Vent

Has anyone else removed their hood vent slots on their Evos to allow more heat to dissipate? I was at the Pavillions in Scottsdale, AZ last Saturday. Big car hang out every Saturday night. We had three Evos lined up, very kewl to see. Vivid Racing had their white project Evo there, kick *** car . Anyway, both Vivid and the other guy had removed their slots from the hood vent. They indicated you can see the heat billowing out over the hood. Question, does anyone see any problems with this, such as water getting get in. They indicated they did not have any problems.
Old Aug 2, 2003, 10:05 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RMR Brought their Evo 8 to one of our meets and I remember that they also removed their vent slots. They also installed this cool CF thingy that is sorta like a hood scoop that subaru has on it's hoods.

http://www.rmrproducts.com/evo8/accessories.htm
Old Aug 2, 2003, 11:00 PM
Evolving Member

You can see heat coming out of the hood whether or not you have the "slots" on your hood vent. I'm sure doing that would help cool the engine though. May make it a pain washing the car though.
Old Aug 2, 2003, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

I think there have been tons of threads on the hood vents, moreso pertaining to having an evo style hood on a regular lancer... our engines are not run off of a distributer cap, so water getting on the engine shouldn't be a problem if all connections are tight(like spark plug boots) ... even with the slats.. water gets on the engine when it rains does it not..
Old Aug 3, 2003, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys. The scoop looks kinda cool. Is it just the one side? Kinda weird if it is just half ?
Old Aug 3, 2003, 12:28 PM
NRG
Evolving Member

Although water getting in isn't a big problem, the water will rust the bolts at the headers as some members have already experienced this issue.......Then again, you could simply replace all bolts to something that wouldn't rust.........
Old Aug 3, 2003, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

hood scoop = ghey...
Old Aug 3, 2003, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Does anyone know if the vent slots actually serve a purpose other than draining water in the right direction? My car almost never sees rain, so if that is their only function I may remove it.
Old Aug 3, 2003, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

I've had it out for a bit now. Freind of mine hipped me to it.

It's evident that more heat will be released with it off. And man does it pour out, especialy when the fan kicks in. Nice quick little mod.

Last edited by stvbreal; Aug 3, 2003 at 03:48 PM.
Old Aug 3, 2003, 06:34 PM
NRG
Evolving Member

Originally posted by TearItUpSports
Does anyone know if the vent slots actually serve a purpose other than draining water in the right direction? My car almost never sees rain, so if that is their only function I may remove it.
Yes, the fins actually does serve a purpose. If you notice the fins(slots) angles the opposite way. Thats because the design wasn't for the air to go into the engine bay to cool the engine but for the heat to raise up and the air will hit the fins and pushes the hot air out at a fast rate......

NO, I didn't make this up.....It is documented by the Mitsu techician for the EVO 8...........
Old Aug 3, 2003, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by NRG

NO, I didn't make this up.....It is documented by the Mitsu techician for the EVO 8...........
Well I know that the vacuum created by the air flowing over the hood will draw the heat out, though I don't know if the fins affect that or not. If they do I will put it back in for sure.
Do you have the documentation on this by chance, or have a link to it?
Old Aug 3, 2003, 07:41 PM
NRG
Evolving Member

Yes, it is documented in one of the VIDEO in Timzcat FTP server. I am not sure which file it is but its one of them.

The video introduces all the pros of the EVO 8 and you will hear them talk about the heat extractor.....