Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!
View Poll Results: 18in or 17in
17in
47.29%
18in
52.71%
Voters: 480. You may not vote on this poll

18in or 17in

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2003, 03:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you get 18" then get a bigger brake kit, because some evos look silly with the bigger rims, it makes their brakes look smaller.
Old Nov 16, 2003, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by BTRTURBOCHARGED
if you get 18" then get a bigger brake kit, because some evos look silly with the bigger rims, it makes their brakes look smaller.
I was just gonna say some people need to run 18's because they plan to get bigger brakes
Old Nov 16, 2003, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

Go with 18's and keep the 17's. Switch them up when ever you feel like it. It's only 1" I can see where 19's are too much but hey to each his or her own. By the way, what about the 350z which comes with 17's and 18's. If someone can show different 1/4 mile times with those than some of these claims can be backed up.
Old Nov 16, 2003, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by eldanoloco
17 are better performers because (or atleast the way it was explained to me) its true you can keep the same all around diameter by switching profiles. But the bigger side walls on a 17 inch rim will provide more flex thus providing more traction. If you get an 18 inch rim but keep the bigger profile you will be giving up acceleration for essentially top end speed because your turning a taller tire/rim. And your speedo will read incorrect. I'm not sure about Cars but I know streetbikes come stock with a speedo that the faster you go the more the speedo is knocked off. ok my braind hurts.
flex = slop, you don't want the sidewalls to flex unless you are drag racing. Other than that, you want you tires to be nice and stiff. You can get tires with very stiff sidewalls and use 17's or get 18's and the lower profile will hold together better. Remember that when you add size (and weight) to the rim you lose size (and weight) on the tire. You might only be a couple pounds heavier (if that) by going to a bigger wheel. And your speedo won't be wrong if you size everything properly. Basically, you should get what you think looks better and suits your driving and roads. If you go full blast over potholes and crap then stick with 17s. My personal vote would be 18s because of the fact that stockers are 17
Old Nov 16, 2003, 01:54 PM

19s for an evo
Old Nov 16, 2003, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

18 will reduce the fender gap.
Old Nov 16, 2003, 03:56 PM

definitely 18's with a 40 or 35 series tire
Old Nov 17, 2003, 07:20 PM

YOURHEADLIGHTS!!

Are you serous man?? Some guy carved you up some rims and they weigh only 4+ Pounds??! Show me some Pics? How do they look? How much was it? and how much for some 18's?
Peace!!
Old Nov 17, 2003, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

Re: YOURHEADLIGHTS!!

Originally posted by OmarSpeedAddict
Are you serous man?? Some guy carved you up some rims and they weigh only 4+ Pounds??! Show me some Pics? How do they look? How much was it? and how much for some 18's?
Peace!!

lol hate to break it to you, but just carving some thing that looks like wheels out of a block of aluminum is not a good idea. I wouldn't be surprised if you mount them put the car on the ground and they snap. There is a reason this isn't the norm lol
Old Nov 17, 2003, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Re: Re: 18in or 17in

Originally posted by Diesel

so, turn that around... can you show me how an 18" wheel is going to decrease performance... doubt it...
It essentially has the same effect as lengthening the final drive ratio which will ultimately hurt acceleration.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 11:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmmm...

Sounds like a lot of swag going on here. Wheel size doesn't necessarily alter gearing or acceleration. Overall circumference does. If you put 18's on, but go down in section height to compensate, you can end up with equal or near-equal overall diameter. Net effect on gearing? Zero.

The advantage of a larger wheel is that you can run a lower profile tire w/out effecting gearing, ride height, etc. A lower profile tire can improve handling response due to quicker turn-in. When you turn the steering wheel, the wheel is connected directly to the steering rack and it rotates immediately. The tires however are not solid. They bend and flex. The wheel is trying to turn it one way and the grip between the road surface and the tire's contact patch fights that turning motion. Less sidewall equals less flex and quicker response.

Larger wheels can potentially be heavier. If so, they will hurt acceleration, deceleration, and handling. It will also degrade the ride quality as well. Not good. Lighter, as is usually the case, is better.

Should you go with 17's or 18's? Do what MotoGP teams did and compromise: 17.5's!

Joe
http://www.joe250.com
Old Nov 18, 2003, 01:02 AM
Evolving Member

What Joe said.

17s with say 45 profile

vs

18s with say 30 profile

1cm difference

Anyway i prefer bigger rims, fills the guards, i had 18s and now want 19s just because the 18s grew on me and looked small.

Get 16s or 17s for track styff and 18s/19s if you have the $$$ and dont mind a rough ride.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 04:41 PM
e8
Evolving Member

smaller rims = less rotational weight.

less rotational weight = faster acceleration and deceleration.

also less unsprung weight = quicker steering response(handling) and more feel (for the road and car)

17"s are still for go
18"s are still for show

unless of course you want gobs of power and only wanna go in a straight line, then heavier 18"s will definitely help with traction and what not.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with everything E8 said except for:

This is not necessarily true. Tires can weigh 20 to 30lbs, especially when you are talking about 17 and 18in diameters. Some of the lighter, forged wheels in these diameters weigh in at 14 to 20 lbs. And considering that the further from the center the weight is located, the greater its effect on acceleration is, you might actually be better off going with larger wheels!

Ergo, your conclusion is flawed.

Also, how do heavier wheels help with traction? Not trying to be adversarial, just don't want anyone to be misled. Someone might end up spending a lot of money based upon incorrect info and no one wants that, right?

Joe
Old Nov 19, 2003, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Joe250
I agree with everything E8 said except for:

This is not necessarily true. Tires can weigh 20 to 30lbs, especially when you are talking about 17 and 18in diameters. Some of the lighter, forged wheels in these diameters weigh in at 14 to 20 lbs. And considering that the further from the center the weight is located, the greater its effect on acceleration is, you might actually be better off going with larger wheels!

Ergo, your conclusion is flawed.
I don't believe you are quite right on this. The smaller rims will have less rotational weight because more of the mass is closer to the center. Even if the tire/wheel combo has the same outside diameter, the smaller wheel will result in less inertia to overcome. Also, the larger rims/tire combo will almost certainly be heavier anyway.
The weight of tires, wheels and brake rotors is particularly important to performance as the rotational weight affects acceleration and braking much more than the rest of the car and the unsprung weight affects the handling much more than the weight above the suspension.
I've had a chance to compare several cars with different tire/wheel combos and I can tell you without a doubt that the larger/heavier wheel & tires affect the performance of a car very noticeably in a negative way....

Originally posted by Joe250
Also, how do heavier wheels help with traction? Not trying to be adversarial, just don't want anyone to be misled. Someone might end up spending a lot of money based upon incorrect info and no one wants that, right?

Joe
On this, you are quite correct. Heavier wheels/tires will not help traction in any way... They'll impede quick acceleration for sure, but that's not to be confused with improved traction.

Last edited by silverEVO8; Nov 19, 2003 at 07:21 AM.

Quick Reply: 18in or 17in