Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Full Flat-Bottom Undertray EVO

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
plus, carbon also is prone to cracking and shattering. hit one cone square on, roadkill, etc, and you could have a busted under tray, or even much worse.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really like the center panel. However, I don't agree with the execution of the sideskirts. To be truly effective a sideskirt should seal the bottom of the car - i.e. extend the sideskirt down towards the ground. The sideskirt as it sits right now will have very limited effectiveness, since the car is still relatively high off the ground. Any chance I can get you to design one that is L shaped, with the sides being removable as I drew up in my ghetto jpg that I sent to you?

l8r)
Old Jun 23, 2008, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludikraut
I really like the center panel. However, I don't agree with the execution of the sideskirts. To be truly effective a sideskirt should seal the bottom of the car - i.e. extend the sideskirt down towards the ground. The sideskirt as it sits right now will have very limited effectiveness, since the car is still relatively high off the ground. Any chance I can get you to design one that is L shaped, with the sides being removable as I drew up in my ghetto jpg that I sent to you?

l8r)
Anything is possible! I agree that there is room for improvement by sealing around the edges. The Cyber Evo is doing it.

Here's an image which sort of summarizes what I have going on under the car. it's a model, not a real car yo.

Old Jun 23, 2008, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

Freakin amazing!
Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting I wonder what a COP would say when they look under your car for modified exhaust..lol..stealthy
Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jid2@[BINARY]

I like the Model man Sick I plan on doing something similar too to my car sometime this summer when I have time. Nice work and hope to see it sometime
Old Jun 24, 2008, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Anything is possible! I agree that there is room for improvement by sealing around the edges. The Cyber Evo is doing it.

Dang, the Cyber Evo is running something similar to what I would ultimately like to have (DTM style undertray). That is sweet.

Nice touch with using the model to show how the parts fit.

I really need to find time to take some fabricating classes ...

l8r)
Old Jul 1, 2008, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Any more updates?
Old Jul 1, 2008, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Turns out I'm low on time to do everything all at once. I haven't been able to go out and test downforce and drag as my car has been tied up with me getting ready to pull the motor for a 2.3L GT30R build. I've been busy scaling larger injectors on the current setup so it's not too many changes all at once.

I should have more details ready in a few weeks. I'm out for a week starting Thursday.

Last edited by jid2; Nov 21, 2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

getting ready to pull the motor for a 2.3L GT30R build.
Pray tell, good sir If you don't want to post, please PM, as I'd love to hear what you have in store, sounds great.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Awesome.. definitely hoping it is a good price. Keep up the good work!

Last edited by BlueEvo61106; Jul 2, 2008 at 07:34 AM. Reason: misspelled
Old Jul 2, 2008, 07:43 AM
chu
Evolved Member

From the pics, it seems there are no openings for the jack points on the side skirts. Are there plans for that? And have you any idea what prices are going to be? I'm really interested in the side skirt and center piece once you're all done!
Old Jul 2, 2008, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hokiruu
Pray tell, good sir If you don't want to post, please PM, as I'd love to hear what you have in store, sounds great.
Nothing special, I'm not looking to break any records with the absolutely maximized setup etc. My head leaks oil down the back of the block from ARP head studs I installed 3 years ago - finally getting around to pulling the head, facing it and fixing that. I figured with the nearly 100K miles on the motor and it half way apart I'd just do a 2.3L at the same time. I'm using parts I sourced myself to put everything together. Here's a list off the top of my head:

- Eagle forged 4G64 crank, Eagle rods, Wiseco .020" over pistons, ACL bearings
- 880 injectors
- GT3076R
- RNR equal length manifold (scored on ebay for the uber cheapness!).

Some pictures of stuff sitting around waiting for me to do work.

Name:  IMG_4585.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  77.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0918.jpg
Size:  49.6 KB
Old Jul 2, 2008, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chu
From the pics, it seems there are no openings for the jack points on the side skirts. Are there plans for that? And have you any idea what prices are going to be? I'm really interested in the side skirt and center piece once you're all done!
As you can see in this picture there is a cutout for the jackstand up front. In the rear I use the pad, which is more inboard, it is still usable.

Name:  sideskirt.jpg
Size:  51.2 KB

With a lowered car it is really dependent on your jack as to what your options are. I can reach under the car into the boxed frame where the sideskirt and center panel meet. I jack the car up from that point. My jack has a rubber pad and I just go straight against the side skirt material.

Last edited by jid2; Jul 2, 2008 at 08:09 AM.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

I like your style, a lot. Heavily driven, raced, and a still a bargain hunter, like me.

Sorry this is OT, but are you going to eliminate the balance shafts?

Regarding jack points, when I was playing around with similar flat front under panel ideas, I was going to just have a removable panel in the front (similar to stock) to access the front center jack point by the tow hook. I was going to use Dzus 1/4 turn fasteners so I could just pop it off, slide in a low-pro jack under the front, and raise the whole front at once.
Jacking from the side is okay, but the boxed rails are not very strong all the way back to the rear of the car. I have seen pics and heard of people crushing them while lifting. I also don't like mangling up the scissor jack points on the body seam, and how lifting from the side works with jack stands as much.
That's just me though, and if I bought this, I'd still modify it to access the front center jack point.

Quick Reply: Full Flat-Bottom Undertray EVO