Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

a NOT SO PRETTY show n shine.....my near death experience in the evo....need help!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2008, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RED DEMON
ill post more pics later, but heres a start...and the storry behind what happend

something missing?

CLIFF NOTES: hood latch broke (right at thr welds), flew back, blinded me, had to 'thread a needle at 80mph while blindfolded esentially'

NEED RECOMMENDATION ON A NEW CARBON FIBER HOOD! has to have good fitment, and GOOD welds and quality! i dont want this happening again!

STORY: was going 75mph (speedlimitout there), they had temporary windsocks setup like you see at airports, they were almost completely sideways (showing veryhigh winds),

so i slowed it to 70.....Passed a truck hauling part of a house (you know what i mean) that had flipped over, then another truck.
Then i feel a HUGE wind resistance, like the wind had changed direction and was going RIGHT at me.....so for example if the wind was 40mph (it wa definately more), and im going 70, i had about 130mph of wind going towards my car.....so i see my hood move literally 1/4 inch (first part of the latch breaking off) then less than a second later...the hood completely unlatches (latch broke off at the welds) and SMASHES into my windshield, and my roof, blinding me completely....force of the impact makes rear view mirror fall off obviously, and the force of the wind makes my drivers side mirror fold in (cant see anything, no mirrors or anthing).....

...Dyraad can attest to this....there are parts of colorado when your getting to the nebraska border that do NOT have a center divider (metal/concrete) BUT it does have a median (grass/sand)......and since there is no center divider to stop people from smashing headonto oncoming traffic- they have poles setup every 15 or so feet, probably 20 feet. (so if you or a trucker is falling asleep your mirror or fender will clip them and startle you or so you take out and smash only your car, and not cross themedian and hit oncoming traffic)

SO im going 70mph, with wind coming towards me, with NO visibility whatsoever besides whats flying past me (side windows), and there are HUGE 6" diameter minimum metal/steel poles every 15 feet.....SO i had to do the equivalent of threading a needle while being blindfolded....and traveling at 70mph (5 under the limit!)ALSO there are stumps, huge rocks, trees, brush, beer bottles, partsof cars, etc all over the median....SOMEHOW while being obivously UBER startled and WHILE blinded i was able to THREAD the NEEDLE between two of the poles (got a lil squrrley in the rear doing that) and during this i downshifted and started braking hard, but not hard enough where the guy behind me would rearend me..

..so i somehow weave between the poles....now the task of stopping before going into oncoming traffic, and also attempting to stop without damaging my car or hitting a stump/tree/boulder....i have no effing clue but i SOMEHOW was able to weave through every single hazard while braking.....(this alll felt like a matter of 30 seconds when it was reall like 5-10 seconds TOPS)....So i downshifted and started braking while on the tarmac obviously when i get to the median (sand mostly) my brakes/wheels lockuop obvously...ABS doesnt kick in, i pump brakes, all that does is make me skid, slow, skid slow, so im getting closer to the middle of the median and closer to the oncoming 75mph traffic......i broke hard knowing id lockup all wheels, pullled ebrake and cranked thw wheel to the right (not too far as to flip the car) and i slid to a 90 degree stop...

....it set in then what had just happened, part of the windshield had a hole , the rest was TOTALLY inilated, like you couldnt count the cracks if you wanted, and was DIPPING inwardnto my car(to the point where if i had my hand on the top of the steering wheel the windshield would be touching it).....obviously its not driveable at that time, windshields OWNED cracks EVERYWHERE and the roof wouldnt have stopped it it woul;d have DEFIANTELY shattered completely.

So hoods all bent, the hood hinges are ALLLLLLLLL out of whack from the force, windshields owned, and the roof is all dented severely (to the point KINDA funny the two plastic pieces you push for the dome lights popped out)....i dont know how, somehow i was able to avoid being seriously injured, seriously injuring my car, being killed, having my puppy being killed (even if i was okay, i bet she would not havebeen!)you got NO clue what its like to have that happen unless you have experienced it.....going like 70mph, with a cross wind going towards you, the highway isnt completley straight, poles while would KILL or severely injure you if you hit them (meant to stop cars since no center median), cars ALL around you, no center divider, and a sand/stump/road hazards all over the place .
....ALL while having NO vision whatsoever besides some TINY peripheral vision out my side mirrors (more me just watching the poles getting closer and closer and my gauging when i have to YANK over the wheel while braking to go between two of the poles without hitting them.....and worst part this was in the left lane (obiously since i mentioned the median issue), so i couldnt get over to the right (didnt even wana try with the cars around me),i dont know how i did it, but i did. i have no clue.....my car was weighed down with 600 pounds of extra weight (may have helped,but braking wise hurt),
BUT the one good thing i think the hoood acted as a parachute to slow me down....or maybe it did the opposite and acted as a parachute in the sense where it lifted my front wheels off the ground like 0.2 of an inch making the braking hard (i dont think so i think it was just the sand terrain)ILL explain the rest in person at BWs, and show you guys the damage....coincidentally a tow truck was going the oppositeway and witnessed it, he said he sped up cuz he thought i was going to come onto oncoming traffic (at my rate of speed/being blinded/squirrley rear end/intentional 90degree slide stop)So he radioed in a 911 call (not knowing if i had like hit the windshield with my head or if i had a effin heart attack)

....state trooper comes, nice guy sees whats up...at this point i had assessed the damage and had put my hood down....(all bent and up a few inches cuz of bent hinges, also i took a pic of where the shotty welds ripped off)....if you guys dont already know what i mean by the wind...to GIVE you a sense...at a complete STOP after it happened my hood was STILL flying up, so i had to put a cooler filled with water and food ontop of the mesh to keep it down....towtruck comes (i said i NEED a flatbed), and guys frantic, runs up to me-says he is the one who called it in (whats the chances!) im a lil skeptical, but not after he explains what he saw......then he goes to the state trooper and talksto him, says he radioed it in, and i over hear him saying i thoguht that kid would at least be somewhat hurt, if not killed....i walk over...tow truck driver notices me overhearing him, looks at me and says - nothing against your driving skills, but after seeing you weave throught the poles, i REALLY did not think you would be able to correct it without flipping the car or coming into oncoming traffic, i laught tell him how i did it- he says you musta damaged something undercarriage wise......i say i dont think so.- hes utterly amazed (dyraad you know how the medians are, they look like alley ways in downtown (filled with random **** of all kinds, broken beer bottles, trees, rocks, etc).

.ill explain the rest laterits fackin ridiculous....i ended up getting theglass fixed (i have NO CLUE how they got it to seal with the dented roof, i think it may have to be re-laid or re-sealed once they fix roof)....but hinges were so bent the front cowl wouldnt fit,.....so they call me glass is done....but yet again the MAIN issue - 'your cars done...but i dont know how youll drive it since there NO latch to hold hood down and you all know there are no places to strap it down)....
..so i ask them, can i work on the car myself in their shop (strictly a glass windshield shop) to get it fixed and driveable...i bent the hood back as much as i could without cracking more CF (lucklily it has a fiberglass skelaton which made it not crack on the spot when incident happend, but i think fiberglass made more of an impact weight wise, but also helped as a parachute....)so i bend the hood back as much as i can, bend the hinges (ouch my effin arms!).....and its KIIIIIIINDA okay...but i still have to find a way to latch it down!I had asked the state trooper when it happened if it was legal to drive with no hood- he said yes, but i did NOT want to drive 16 hours with no hood, i woulda hadto tiedown vaccum lines, double up clamps and tbolts, etc etc) and besides that talk abt aerodynamics effed!so i decide in my mind im NOT driving without a hood.....then it hits me.....rice-a-roni....i can juts install hood pins
so i call a shop to ask what it would be to ghetto rig/bend my hood and install hood pins...QUOTE me 150 bux! wtf! another shop 100 bux just for hood pin install (dont wana be liable with bending the hood)i say fack that i can do it myself in 20 minutes, borrow a friends drill, bore out the subframe holes a lil bit and install the hood pins, drill out fiberglass skelaton and CF and install them....in 20 minutes, something i did in 20 min a shop wanted 150 bux for!So i got the pins put in, windshield fixed and cars driveable....but roofs all dented and it missing the plastic piece at bottom of windshield (hinges so bent it wont fit).

And i started on the long trek back home, drove a full 16 hours or so without sleeping....keeping my eyes PEELED to the hoodpins and the hood making sure i didnt have a repeat!Every abt 100 miles i stopped and tightened the bolts for the hoodpins (usually didnt even need it but as a safety precaution)....im still in utter awe, myself, my car, dog, or all of the above should be either hurt/damaged or killed/out of commission.....i came within a inch MULTIPLE times of dying or being seriously injured, from coming inches from the poles and threading the needle, to avoiding roadhazards in the median while my brakes are locking up, to slidine sideways intentionally as to not go into oncoming traffic.....ill explain rest later, and i have pics, i just got new phone ill either post em up here later
I just wanted to quote this!
Old Jun 19, 2008, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what brand of hood?
Old Jun 19, 2008, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

tl;dr why would you get another cf hood after this happened
Old Jun 19, 2008, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

Glad to here your ok. Some hood pins would have been helpful.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

ill post pics later toniht or 2maro!@

any more recommendations greatly appreciated!

ill explain and reply to posts/questions when i post the pics
Old Jun 20, 2008, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

good to see your ok, was this the stock hood? i really didnt read to much into it. but if this was aftermarket who is the maker because i definetly will stay clear of them. i know the wind was the factor but crap the hood should be made to withstand these types of winds and what not
Old Jun 20, 2008, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by donmeca2020
good to see your ok, was this the stock hood? i really didnt read to much into it. but if this was aftermarket who is the maker because i definetly will stay clear of them. i know the wind was the factor but crap the hood should be made to withstand these types of winds and what not
most all cf companies will not warrant this type of issue since they usually all recommend hood pins
Old Jun 21, 2008, 08:32 AM

goodthing to see you get out of a hairy situation bro.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

wow.

Get hood pins for the c/f hood!!
Old Jun 21, 2008, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

i didn't get to read the whole thing..but did you have hoodpins or just the stock latch?
Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

these are all from my camera phone, so pics dont do justice-the windshield was all caved in, and i think it kinda helpd 'soften' the force of the hood hitting (hood isnt cracked TOO bad, but still damaged significantly.
i think the fiberglass skelaton helped keep it from sharding or breaking into multiple pieces, also maybe acted as a "parachute" to slow me down.
\
there are parts of the hood where you can with your finger un-weave the CF, and
(you cant tell in pics cuz its strapped down its UBER bent and shiz)

pics dont do justice, bad quality but better than nothing.

bad angle, cant really see the extent of roof damage

Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

when i bought tyhe hood it was part of a group buy, and some of the people that recieved them had shotty fitment, others had cracks in clearcoat, etc etc.....

out of 25 people i was one of five that had a hood that came looking and seeemed fine.

the seller claimed all the damage to the other 20 hoods were "from shipping":= (BS), and then magically disappeared.

so i waited 3 months, and gave the people who got screwed or got a damaged hood in the mail, gave them the guys return address and all info i had on him.

he claimed it was a seibon, but i compared it to a seibon and it was NOT, it was a seibon ripoff! a 'no name' brand CF hood.

it held up fine for like 25k miles! then bam this!

yes i was relying on just the stock latch, but it seemed fine, i think the wind and multiple (over 5 times back and forth) from WI to CO took a toll on the shotty welds, (over 1000 miles EACH way, 2000+ round trip)

damage could have been much worse, i could have rolled it, could have hit one of the poles, could have hit oncoming traffic, the list goes on!

when i get my next hood (leaning towards a seibon but in STILL open to suggestions, i have heard some horror stories of seibon, but mainly the body kits, een a few of the CF products, but was that in the past?!)......
when i get next CF hood (soon) i will be putting on BOTH hoodpins and using the hoodlatch (double safety guard!)

and in response to the aftermarket question regarding insurance....my insurance company actually said they PREFER that i buy an aftermarket hood!
i didnt wana ask why and have them correct themselves or anything, but then she specified again that they prefer aftermarket to factory hoods.....
(i worked at 3 dealerships including a Mitsu dealer, i think, or KNOW they prefer aftermarket because factory OEM parts are on average MORe expensive than aftermarket, and availablilty is harder (since they dont make the evo 8-9 anymore)

the CF hood i had was (as you can see from pics) a OEM replica in cf (i swapped my stock hood mesh, vent, headshield, and sprayers from my OEM hood to the CF one)
Old Jun 25, 2008, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

pics added, replied to most questions, but didnt quote them, if anyone has any others im happy to answer

and please help me choose a hood! What are peoples opinion on Seibon? good fitment? varis? gialla? robispec (expensive)
Old Jun 25, 2008, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

seibon with hood pins
Old Jun 25, 2008, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

You could do a new CF hood and a CF roof, since that needs fixed also.

Quick Reply: a NOT SO PRETTY show n shine.....my near death experience in the evo....need help!