Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Swap OZ and EVO gauge cluster?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2003, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swap OZ and EVO gauge cluster?

I posted a thread about the availability of a white faced gauge kit for the EVO. I can't stand the red on black gauges. The basic answer is that nobody makes such a kit right now.

Today I was at the dealers and looked inside a Lancer OZ. I think I would like it's gauge cluster better than the EVO. Is there anybody on the forum who is an expert on gauges?

Where is the odometer reading stored? In the gauge or in one of the computers?

If I simply put in an OZ gauge cluster would the tach and speedo read correctly? I can see the scales are different on the gauges but maybe the computer is simply sending a signal "RPM is 3500" and the gauge understands how to interpret the input.

If there is anyone in the DC region with an OZ who wants to swap, I am willing .. assuming the idea would work.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 04:37 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, i'll assume your not joking.

The evolution has different idiot light such as "abs" intercooler spray light and whatever else including trouble codes. Besides dont' you drive faster than 120mph and want a center mounted tach No idea the RPM goes up to in a lancer but we have a 9k tach.

If you must, get the ralliart evo guage cluster. Those are white but unfortunaly it's in KPH and the acd lights will not be functional.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 04:41 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Here's a pic.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

I'm probably not going to drive over 120, nor exceed 7,000 rpm but the issue about mismatched idiot lights is something I hadn't thought of. The light for the FMIC spray is pretty useless so I could live without it. The ABS light is more serious.

The ralliart cluster is over $500. I'm looking for a cheap way to get some legible gauges, mainly the speedo since I can't read it in bright conditions when the gauges are in the shadows.

Guess I've got to live with it.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 07:46 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Sorry, but you don't seem to be the type of person who is a performance car enthusiast .

If you don't mind me asking, why did you purchase the evo? If i'm not planning to run the car hard why go for 30k car with 14k interior? I'm just saying the car is a lot of fun and every evo owner should test the potentential to know what the it is capable of. I'm not talking on the street of course. The limits are too high for that
Old Aug 20, 2003, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

i like my oz gauges MUCH more than the evo gauges. i also don't like the mismatch metal stereo/ac trim panel in the evo.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

just wait for some aftermarket stick on indiglows or something like that. The two are totally different (I have both cars). I thought about that already, but redline/top speed are not even the same, specially the center tach.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

Any idea if an Evo cluster will work in an ES? I swapped my ES cluster with a Ralliart cluster, and now I'm thinking of swapping that with an Evo one. Yes I did a search as you can tell by resurrecting a 1.5 year old thread.
Old May 23, 2007, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

Wow, I'm glad I found this post.

Let me give ya the details first.
I live in Canada, KM/h are my issue.
I drive a 2006 Ralliart
I bought an evo 9 cluster.

I need to convert the odometer to KM/h instead of reading MPh.
Next.. I need the odometer to read my current milage (almost 30,xxx KM). Right now it reads 7xxx miles.

Does anyone know how to do this? Or can someone provide me with a diagram, schematic, or documentation related to this issue? I want to get this cluster in ASAP, as I think it's beautiful.
Also.. All the other 'idiot lights' will come up the same as usual? I just won't be able to use the acd function, correct?

thanks for your time
Old May 24, 2007, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

bump? anyone?
Old May 24, 2007, 07:17 PM

this thread is stupid..sorry
Old May 24, 2007, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Stop posting the same damn question everywhere especially reviving an old thread for it.
Old May 24, 2007, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gtr
Sorry, but you don't seem to be the type of person who is a performance car enthusiast .

If you don't mind me asking, why did you purchase the evo? If i'm not planning to run the car hard why go for 30k car with 14k interior? I'm just saying the car is a lot of fun and every evo owner should test the potentential to know what the it is capable of. I'm not talking on the street of course. The limits are too high for that
well not every evo owner tracks their cars. People buy it just to daily drive. Who cares if it has weak interior, or its a gas eater. People who daily drive evo's don't care. NOt everyone who buys an evo has to track or autox their evo's. they just want to daily drive it.
Old May 24, 2007, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
God damn noob, notice he posted 4 years ago.
Old May 24, 2007, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

thread from the dead

Quick Reply: Swap OZ and EVO gauge cluster?