Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

AMS Track Bike ;)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2008, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiruu
a lot of people think it has a coaster (backpedal) brake, but this is no the case.
"fixed gear" literally means just that- no coasting. no brakes. pedals always moving unless the bike is still or you are skidding. that and resistence is how we slow and stop.
ok, I see.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 07:15 PM

Why do the track bikes have pedals with straps as opposed to the clipless pedals?
Old Jul 23, 2008, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Several reasons.
-It's a traditional track thing. Part of the appeal of fixed gear bikes for many people is their old-school-ness and toeclips were around long before clipless pedals.
- When your pedals are your brakes, a toeclip and strap is much more reliable than clipless pedals, which are made to disengage under certain forces. Unwanted/unexpected disengagement=potential disaster. See above for example. That being said many people do ride fixed on clipless pedals/shoes.
- Clipless pedals require special shoes and sometimes you just want to go for a bike ride in you regular shoes, not "gear up to go cycling."
- Serious UCI velodrome racers sometimes use road shoes and clipless pedals on their full carbon, disc- and tripsoke-wheeled race rigs, but in Japanese Keirin racing they are required to conform to strict traditional standards, which may include toeclips/straps. Lots of people are obsessed with also maintaining these standards on their bikes even though they don't race keirin. It's a nerd thing, where "NJS" is a lot like JDM haha.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 12:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hokiruu
oh cool i ride a track bike/fixed gear too! for the record, it's not a "tri" bike, it's for velodrome track racing.
word of caution: despite how cool they look, those wheels are notorious for shattering/disintegrating on you, and can seriously hurt you when it happens. that's why they are avail. so cheap.
here's my track bike:

ride safe!
Hey I've seen your bike on velospace before! How's that disc wheel cover take the wind? I only use my spinergy's when I go on hard rides that don't involve tricking out or taking any harsh roads. Unfortunately i'm stuck with the rear all the time and it doesn't like whip-around skids very much :/
Old Jul 24, 2008, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The disc cover was actually just a one-time joke for a Halloween costume contest we had at work. It's the only pic I have of it with the tri-spoke, but that was the only time I ever used it. Think Legend of Sleepy Hollow
Old Jul 27, 2008, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

fixie/ss ftw!!