Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

98 Mirage to Evo 6.5 TME

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2012, 02:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gah, those seats!
Old May 13, 2012, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Best couple hours I've spent on here in a long time. Awesome work!
Old May 14, 2012, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

Inspection results? Also with that brake problem I would guess you had tried bleeding both side of the calipers but couldn't a vacuum leak also cause this issue since you have bleed the system so extensively. Hydraulic leak is always a possibility but you said it happened when you turned on the car?
Old May 14, 2012, 11:49 PM

I'm gonna be tired at work in the morning because I just stayed up reading this thread. All I can say is amazing work and I truly admire your dedication to the project. It's been an amazing transformation and it's very inspiring to see. You're almost there!
Old May 15, 2012, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks, car just passed inspection today and is licensed. Unfortunately the car died on my way home and I'm a little concerned.

At the testing booth my oil light came on and off for a few seconds. After driving out, the light turns off. No more than a minute later as I'm driving through a tunnel, the car just loses all power. I turn it off, check the oil and find it's low. I couldn't leave the car to get oil (as the registration was almost a year expired) so I try to start it. Car turns over just fine and gets me home, as if nothing happened.

I put in some more oil today, but any thoughts on what could have caused this?
Old May 15, 2012, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

check your alt. see if its still good.

sounds like more than one problem.
Old May 15, 2012, 04:54 PM

Any stored codes in the ECU? Is there a light for low oil level and another one for low oil pressure? If so, which one was it?
Old May 15, 2012, 05:01 PM

awesome seats and rad conversion
Old May 15, 2012, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

Alternator looks fine, all the electronics were going.

Originally Posted by Legen-dary
Any stored codes in the ECU? Is there a light for low oil level and another one for low oil pressure? If so, which one was it?
The little oil can light was the one that came on. Also no CEL's are coming up, I'll try clearing the ECU though.
Old May 15, 2012, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Do you have a cheap mechanical oil pressure gauge you can put on your car? I suggest putting one on and checking your oil pressure!

You may have lost oil pressure in your engine... as in you'll be eating your bearings soon.
Old May 16, 2012, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

I'll look into picking up an oil pressure gauge, along with a water temp and boost gauge. Car is running fine now, going to check for oil leaks tomorrow. Runs smooth, no knock whatsoever.

There is one other problem that is concerning me. Ever since I had the car, my radiator fans wouldn't turn on. I've already replaced the temp sensor on the thermostat, but the gauge reading is steady at just below half, even after sitting in traffic. Once warmed up, the gauge rises to just below half, staying there until the car is shut off. I have used 3-4 gauge clusters, they all do the same thing. Anyone ever had this problem before? I'm concerned the engine may overheat now.

Old May 16, 2012, 11:19 PM

Did you try replacing the fan sensor on the radiator??
Old May 17, 2012, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

This looks awesome and congrats on being road legal. I hope the oil light and gage issue are an easy fix because I am excited to see the exterior all assembled and painted. Is the FRP front bumper still on in those last pics? Are you planing using the undertray (OEM or aftermarket) to pull the corners of the front bumper in? I have been running my ix without one for a while and didn't notice someone mentioned it in one of these conversion threads that the sides do push out a little without being held in place. Interior looks cool. Congrats again.
Old May 17, 2012, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks. Now I've been looking into a vibration issue I've been having.

Above about 3k RPM or so, the whole front of the car starts vibrating. This increases as the RPM increases and seems to be coming from the timing side of the engine. Once I let off the throttle and begin decelerating the vibrations get MUCH louder and severe. When I push in the clutch the vibrations stop.

I've been watching some videos and I'm led to believe this could be a balance shaft issue. I just installed my exhaust and it isn't touching the engine or chassis. No loose heat shields, everything looks normal. Anyone have a similar issue come up? This is making me go crazy, the car is basically un-driveable with these vibrations.
Old May 17, 2012, 07:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could it be the driveshaft mount/joints? How about a flywheel? I know you mentioned the car died on you recently. Is crank walk a possibility being that it's an evo4 engine? Good luck and post up your findings!!

Quick Reply: 98 Mirage to Evo 6.5 TME