Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

98 Mirage to Evo 6.5 TME

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2012, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good so far....You need to mold some rear fender flares to complete the look.

WADAD
Old May 18, 2012, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't worry, I'll have the flares on soon enough.

Moving on, I solved my vibration issue. Turns out the balance shafts were not synced properly. However now the car's exhaust is sounding REALLY loud by the manifold and I'm getting some decent knock below 1k rpm. Once I get past 1k, the knocking stops.
Old May 18, 2012, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BCspeed34
Don't worry, I'll have the flares on soon enough.

Moving on, I solved my vibration issue. Turns out the balance shafts were not synced properly. However now the car's exhaust is sounding REALLY loud by the manifold and I'm getting some decent knock below 1k rpm. Once I get past 1k, the knocking stops.
You need to get that mechanical oil pressure gauge on the car. ASAP. I fear you're eating your engine's bearings alive.
Old May 18, 2012, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah it's starting to worry me. I'll order up a set of gauges this weekend, let the car sit for now.
Old May 27, 2012, 10:31 AM

Great work. Im working on an Evo 4 Project myself. I can't wail till mine is as far along as yours.
Old May 28, 2012, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Modern Knight
Great work. Im working on an Evo 4 Project myself. I can't wail till mine is as far along as yours.
Ooh, Evo IV? I need to keep up with you, bud!

I opened a thread on here asking questions about an Evo IV conversion some time back (which will probably expire by the time I acquire a Mirage).

I was planning on getting a Mirage next month, so I can convert it to what I call a "Pseudo-Evo IV" starting next year, but I decided not to transfer from my current university, so I'm holding off on getting any cars between next year and 2014.

Please make a thread, if you already don't have one! I want to see!
Old May 28, 2012, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

good luck
Old May 30, 2012, 01:00 AM

Past couple hours

I've been reading up as you say "Never-ending Project", and I find myself in the situation, that I want an Evo 5 :3.
I've got my eyes on a 98 Mirage, I've got Evo 8 Mirrors, doors, Trunk and an inter-cooler that have been offered to me as well.

As most of the posts before me, I commend you're determination. I myself being two years out of H.S, wish I would've stumbled upon this those two years ago like yourself However I hope you don't mine, I'll be using your photos and descriptions as blue prints xD

Keep It UP
Old May 30, 2012, 08:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Casper_97
I've been reading up as you say "Never-ending Project", and I find myself in the situation, that I want an Evo 5 :3.
I've got my eyes on a 98 Mirage, I've got Evo 8 Mirrors, doors, Trunk and an inter-cooler that have been offered to me as well.

As most of the posts before me, I commend you're determination. I myself being two years out of H.S, wish I would've stumbled upon this those two years ago like yourself However I hope you don't mine, I'll be using your photos and descriptions as blue prints xD

Keep It UP
The evo 8 mirrors, doors, and trunk won't be of any use to you on a 98 mirage to Evo 5 conversion. The Evo 8 intercooler can be used, however the upper mount won't line up to your radiator support t-bracket like a evo 4-6 intercooler would.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by SuperMario811
Ooh, Evo IV? I need to keep up with you, bud!

I opened a thread on here asking questions about an Evo IV conversion some time back (which will probably expire by the time I acquire a Mirage).

I was planning on getting a Mirage next month, so I can convert it to what I call a "Pseudo-Evo IV" starting next year, but I decided not to transfer from my current university, so I'm holding off on getting any cars between next year and 2014.

Please make a thread, if you already don't have one! I want to see!
Yea, I came into a good deal on a friend of mines project so i have most of the parts for the conversion already. Motor and all the body pieces, now i just have the huge task of putting all the parts together and getting the final pieces. Will be starting a thread soon once I get more pics of the build.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:53 AM
Evolving Member

Did you get your pil press gage yet? Curious to see the outcome of your test. This project is awesome.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 01:27 AM

Where are the engine bay pictures? post them up man.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Update time!
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

Not much to update on. I figured out the knocking issue, turns out it was due to the balance shafts being out of sync. I also was able to fix my massive exhaust leak, the car is running incredibly quiet now.

However one issue is now just killing me. After doing numerous boost leak tests, the car will not boost past 10psi, even with the wastegate vacuum line disconnected. The actuator arm is on there tight so I doubt it's that. Kind of running out of ideas now.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

cam timing can be off

Quick Reply: 98 Mirage to Evo 6.5 TME