Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

98 Mirage to Evo 6.5 TME

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man i love your build got any tips on where to start? i want to start my project here soon.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:20 PM

I just spent the last hour or so going through this thread start to finish and man, I love the fact that you've spent so much time and energy on this car. It looks great and I can't believe how far it's come.

Did you swap the upholstery on the doors for a black fabric or did you paint that as well? Any tips for painting the seats in the 4?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

great build mate looking really good.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW thats some commitment in time
I may be forced to do this if i move with my job to the US because i don't want to sell my evo iv
How many differences are there in the mirage and evo shell,is it just the rear floor and rear strut towers?
by the way i have just posted a thread in evo 1-9,evo general about crossover parts from evo 7,8,9's to 4,5,6's(we use lots of later parts as upgrades in England)hope it will help some of you out and save you some shipping costs on 4,5,6 parts
cheers,Mick.
Sorry,the thread is called 7,8,9 parts on early evo's.

Last edited by mick9ornothing; Aug 20, 2012 at 07:03 AM. Reason: forgot the thread name
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

differences

Originally Posted by mick9ornothing
WOW thats some commitment in time
I may be forced to do this if i move with my job to the US because i don't want to sell my evo iv
How many differences are there in the mirage and evo shell,is it just the rear floor and rear strut towers?
by the way i have just posted a thread in evo 1-9,evo general about crossover parts from evo 7,8,9's to 4,5,6's(we use lots of later parts as upgrades in England)hope it will help some of you out and save you some shipping costs on 4,5,6 parts
cheers,Mick.
Sorry,the thread is called 7,8,9 parts on early evo's.
plus in england, don't forget you guys drive on the wrong side of the car as pointed out already though there were early evos you can borrow from to get LHD parts if need be.

You should just have a shop cut your car in half and ship it to the US. You will have everything you need and know for sure the condition of the parts already. Would be a great project and a perfect time for maintenance/new upgrades. Even sell the body panels and ship some 5 or 6 pieces and create a whole new look. Talk about a great opportunity, the possibilities are endless!!!

Last edited by dolson222; Aug 21, 2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:05 AM

Thanks dolson for pointing out that i drive on the wrong side of my car,it helps when overtaking here in england.
If i ship my car over in parts i will buy a lhd steering rack from the uk and all the other parts needed will come from the mirage i assume?
Not looking forward to taking a 9" grinder to my car though
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mick9ornothing
Thanks dolson for pointing out that i drive on the wrong side of my car,it helps when overtaking here in england.
If i ship my car over in parts i will buy a lhd steering rack from the uk and all the other parts needed will come from the mirage i assume?
Not looking forward to taking a 9" grinder to my car though
Yeah np haha if you want to keep (err make?) it rhd and you ship your car you will have the firewall and evrething you would need but for lhd yeah just get a lhd rack, and dash (for the correct color) and you will be all set. Definately ask questions to that guy with the 98mirage to 6.5 TME conversion whose thread you posted on (this is how I found yours) he is very knowledgeable now on what is needed for each part of the swap and he could definately help with this thread as well. He answers quickly and very completely.

My prayers are with you for the first cuts to a great machine. if you ship your whole car (cut in half) you will have everything you need right there and can sell anything thats left otherwise you are runnning the risk of finding the rest of the stuff piece by piece. Anyway good luck and you should document it all on here if you dont mind. Everyone loves seeing these on here.! Good luck!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
You can cut the car in half but you must remove the suspension, transmission, engine and lighting bits. The US recently banned the import of "front clips" with the engine still installed.

As for a steering rack you can just use a Mirage one, sorting a LHD Evo one is nearly impossible nowadays. Once you have all the parts the only things you need to do with a welder are swap the rear floor panel, strut towers, and a few exhaust and driveshaft mounting spots. Everything else will simply bolt-on.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:38 AM

Can i ship a car as parts if it's just cut in half?
Theoretically i could just stitch weld it back together and take it for a blast,
it's not like anything would catch me
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:43 AM

ha,ha,
BC answered my question while i was typing it
seriously though mate,that is one awesome job you have done there(just sourcing parts must have been a nightmare)
I noticed while reading your thread that the lhd dashboard doesn't have the annoying cubby/sunglasses box that comes open and hits my right knee every time i accelerate
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:47 AM

"oh and another thing"
Bc,are the mirage racks the same gearing as the evo ones(2.5 turns lock to lock) as that would be quite quick steering for a shopping car?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Good info

Note: to my previous post I forgot we were already in the the thread of who I said to ask questions to. I got confused switching back and forth. my bad! Ask this OP questions if you want good answers!

As BC said not quite as simple as cutting it in half but not too far off either. The other benefit now is that you know you aren't going to recieve cut/ missing hoses you would most likely get from sourcing an engine over here plus you get to keep all of your MODs.

With current inport laws you could still theoretically send something over legally that could be illegally stich welded back together and vin swap it but I would rather have a legal version that I didn't have to worry about (granted it would be unlikely to ever be found out)

BC- You can still ship it all together as long as its broken down correct?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know the specifics, but I'm certain it is illegal. Putting the car back together in the states is a huge felony and the car will be crushed if the feds find out. Safest and most legal thing to do is what I have done with swapping parts. The advantage you would have is not having to source the parts. If I had everything on hand from the start, I would have been done years ago.

P.S. I didn't update it yet with a photo, but I do actually have one of those dash cubbies. They are incredibly rare in LHD form and I got it a few weeks ago.

Now how about an update?

Old Aug 21, 2012, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Can't wait to see this in person one of these days.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:59 AM
Evolving Member

Looks great with the side skirts and rear flares on there. Its really looking like an evo now!

Quick Reply: 98 Mirage to Evo 6.5 TME