Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Protecting that shiney paint...with car covers!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2008 | 08:12 AM
JKD
Evolving Member

Protecting that shiney paint...with car covers!

Hey guys, I've tryed searching the forums the past few days and the search function seems to not be working at all. So I figured this would be the place to post up!

I have an Evo VIII that cannot be garage kept. Since i only drive it a few days a week I need to find a good quality car cover that will protect the car from the elements and also help keep it clean when not driven.

I have noticed that Mitsubishi offers a OEM car cover especially for the EVO. Now my question is, how does this compare to some of the other aftermarket car covers that are specifically tailored for the evolution also. I am sort of on a budget but I will pay for top notch quality if needed.

I've seen car covers ranging from 75-400 dollars. I was curious to what kind you guys are using and how you like them?

I'm also pretty open to recommendations with pros and cons to the ones you guys have used.

Thanks guys,
Jared
Old Oct 23, 2008 | 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

**Edit** Double post lol
Old Oct 23, 2008 | 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Id recommend not buying a car cover especially when the car is going to be kept outside because any dirt that gets onto the car cover or any dirt thats on the car from driving it will scratch your car and cause swirl marks. Id recommend keeping a nice coat of wax on your car and it should be fine.
Old Oct 23, 2008 | 09:38 AM
JKD
Evolving Member

Thanks for your input!
I too have heard things similar to this. But I've heard both ways before.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this subject?

Thanks
Old Oct 23, 2008 | 10:38 AM
BBS
Evolved Member

Car covers can cause heavy marring. The more form fit it, the less marring you'll see. If you're set on a cover stick with one that was made for the car and not some general design.
Old Oct 23, 2008 | 12:02 PM

go to wal-mart and buy 2 king size sheets paid $24 total and cover your car and call it a day. But like mentioned before... wash and or wax the car then cover it.
Old Oct 23, 2008 | 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

I have the OEM Mitsubishi cover and it fits pretty darn well. I've heard good things about a couple other aftermarket covers, but I haven't tried them. I've had the OEM Mitsu one for a couple years now. I had it on my Evo then sold my Evo so now it sits on my brother's Evo.

I will agree if you plan on taking it off and putting it on several times a week I would figure out a different plan. Everytime the cover comes off my brother's car the car gets washed and waxed before the cover goes back on. That's along with running the cover through a rinse cycle in the washing machine and air drying. Keeping in mind that the car gets turned on and driven once every 3-4 weeks so going through all that isn't much of a hassle. In your case it would probably be more trouble than it's worth.
Old Oct 23, 2008 | 09:44 PM
JKD
Evolving Member

Thanks guys. After doing some research on my own, and taking into consideration the posts in this thread, I've discovered it might be in my best interest to avoid a car cover at all. I've read numerous places that there is a risk of doing more harm than good. So I'll pass.

Thanks again guys,
Jared