Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!
View Poll Results: Do you have these strange paint chips? See photo below.
Yes, I have it too.
75.62%
No, mine is fine.
24.38%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Strange paint chips Poll

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2003, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by jwh
I should have read all of the posts...
The door stop inside is not a screw in type and is not adjustable....so that is not the fix.
I told my dealership about it and they suggested i touch it up. Some help. Anyway...I will do that but it will not stop the problem. I mentioned the 3M product and he ordered me a kit which is designed for another Mitsu product but can be cut to work on the Evo. Good Luck...
BTW - the svc mgr and i checked the other 5 evos on the lot and every one had the same misalignment.
So how would you adjust it? I would rather do it myself than the dealer if it isn't too hard
Old Sep 9, 2003, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

1. Loosen the screws (red arrows). CAUTION . Don't loosen them too much or the plate behind it might fall and you'll be in a world of hurt.
2. Pull the striker (yellow arrow) towards the outside of the car, re-tighten screws while holding the striker.
3. Really tighten down the screws once striker is at desired location.
4. Check your handy work. Touch up chips, if any.

Someone mentioned this was not a suggested course of action. As I just tried this tonight I don't know of any long term ill effects (if any).

Edit: Sorry about the crappy picture.
Attached Thumbnails Strange paint chips Poll-striker.jpg  
Old Sep 9, 2003, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the pics and tips. Is that what the dealer does or did you just come up with it yourself?
Old Sep 9, 2003, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

No dealer involvement. Just a little D-I-Y.
Old Sep 9, 2003, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe I'm missing something... but how does a misaligned door cause these chips? Are you guys saying the door isn't far enough out to protect that leading edge of the arch from debris?
Old Sep 10, 2003, 03:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by alfredob1
1. Loosen the screws (red arrows). CAUTION . Don't loosen them too much or the plate behind it might fall and you'll be in a world of hurt.
2. Pull the striker (yellow arrow) towards the outside of the car, re-tighten screws while holding the striker.
3. Really tighten down the screws once striker is at desired location.
4. Check your handy work. Touch up chips, if any.

Someone mentioned this was not a suggested course of action. As I just tried this tonight I don't know of any long term ill effects (if any).

Edit: Sorry about the crappy picture.
The service department tried to loosen the screw but couldn't even get it turned, they said it had loctite on there that they didn't want to strip it. It almost striped one of them already.
Old Sep 13, 2003, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

One of the screws was so tight I couldn't loosen it on my own. I had to use a vise on the screw diver handle. That provided enough leverage to loosen it.
Remember to use a really big screw driver anything else will either strip the srew head or just tear up your screw driver.
Old Sep 14, 2003, 01:36 AM
Evolved Member

I had my Evo reserved since May and picked it up in August (I was out of the country until then). Before I went to pick it up, I informed the dealership of this and they said they would look in to it. When I went to pick it up, I was so excited to get her off the lot that I had completely forgot about this. The salesman was the one who reminded me of it. He said "hey, remember the door alignment that you were questioning, how does this look compared to the pictures you have seen?" I looked at it then and it looked fine. Driver and passenger side doors both looked identical. I drove the car off the lot with 8 miles on it and it now has 5300 miles. I have no chips there, but the hood has one from an 1100 mile one-way road trip to Virginia, despite the fact that I had the car bra on it.

I also installed a set of the Ralliart mud flaps on it the other day to prevent any rock chips in the future. I would really recommend these to anyone with an Evo because they are good insurance. They might cost $400 for a set, but it's better than $2000 or so for a repaint. They also give the car a pretty eye-catching look (even more so than the fact that it is a friggin' Evo). If you want a set, contact Dan at Mach V and he can hook you up FAST. Also ask him about a cheaper alternative that he might be getting soon if you don't want to drop $400 on mud flaps.

Josh
Old Sep 14, 2003, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

Sohlman Mitsu here in VA, offered me a 5 year paint warranty agast any chips rust etc. on my tarmac Balck Evo....
Old Sep 15, 2003, 04:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Hittman
Sohlman Mitsu here in VA, offered me a 5 year paint warranty agast any chips rust etc. on my tarmac Balck Evo4....
An how much $$ was that? What are the stipulations; ie, get 4 chips in one area and its repainted, one chip and its touched up, etc. With 6 chips on my hood already (two large, down to the metal, about 1/8" inch in size) and some on the side panels, with only 2,400 miles, this may be something to look into.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 11:39 AM
In Timeout

Does anyone else have a pic of there chips. I think Mitsu is going to give me a hard time about getting this fixed.

Originally posted by StreetPowerEvo

An how much $$ was that? What are the stipulations; ie, get 4 chips in one area and its repainted, one chip and its touched up, etc. With 6 chips on my hood already (two large, down to the metal, about 1/8" inch in size) and some on the side panels, with only 2,400 miles, this may be something to look into.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

Does anyone have a picture of a door mis-aligned?

I took a look at mine and the seams look even to me along all the doors. Looks fine to me and my car has a jan. build date.

Thanks,
Old Sep 26, 2003, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

My dealership is covering my chips. He looked at it and said that it apears that the driver door is sucked in about a 1/4 of an inch to far and the rear quarter pannel is catching rocks that would normally just brush or roll off. My passenger side door lines u up perfectly and I have 0 chips on that side. It seems like a rational explanation now that I see it. If you have those chips go check it out and see if your driver side rear door is sucked in(or lined up) about a quarter of an inch, allowing free shots at your rear quarter pannel.

Can anybody verify if our car has a clearcoat, I heard it didn't.

go check and hollor back
Old Oct 22, 2003, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

well its not only the driver side...but I now have 3 on the driver side of mine, and 1 on the passenger side!!......grrrrr!!
Old Oct 22, 2003, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

whats the name of that 3m clear decal?

thinking of putting a very thin piece there, anybody now what it is called or is a very polpular thing any autopart store will have

Quick Reply: Strange paint chips Poll