Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!
View Poll Results: Do you have these strange paint chips? See photo below.
Yes, I have it too.
75.62%
No, mine is fine.
24.38%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Strange paint chips Poll

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2003, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RockBlocker
Yeah, I did actually. I have made the bumper easier to install for the newbie or novice. I split the bumper into two pieces.. Top and Bottom pieces now. I also kept the other version for people that more and cleaner protection.

I've visited your site but have not seen an update for it. Can you post pics and pricing for the new patterns and pieces if you will offer them seperate. Is all you did was split the original pattern into 2 or did you make some adjustments? I will be looking to redo the front bumper piece and would like to consider what you have available among the other options, but also want to be reassured that it's a well fitted piece that's easier to apply than the first one I went through.

Last edited by evo_007; Nov 16, 2003 at 09:54 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 06:48 PM

I havent updated the site yet, but here is a pic of the new bumper image as well as another full kit option.

I made some changes around the grille area by the logo and reduce the stress in certian areas to make it easier install by the novice. The bumper sells for $200 plus shipping.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 08:32 PM
In Timeout

should stop draggin stuff in and out of the car lift it and pick up your feet
Old Nov 25, 2003, 08:32 PM
In Timeout

you can use somenail polish to cover it up
Old Feb 14, 2004, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.rockblocker.com/guard-howto.htm

I'm thinking of just repainting the part that is chipping only and applying a strip of this stone guard afterwards to ensure it doesn't happen again. Should be a cheap fix.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

went to Tustin for the front end clunking problem and the serv. rep. asked "are there any more concerns regarding your car"? I'm like..... umm... yes, actually and showed him the chips, and now they are painting that area on both sides under warranty. I am going to put some stone guard in that area now
Old Feb 23, 2004, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting.

I have those exact chips as well. I'm glad I read this before I ran off and got it repainted.

I noticed that my chips are starting to rust as well. I'm definitely demanding the area be repainted when I call my dealership.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 12:14 AM
Evolving Member

Re: Strange paint chips Poll

Originally posted by Hanzo
Do you have the strange paint chips? See the image below:

I have these exact same chips on my blue Evo.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 07:49 AM

It seems to be a very common problem. You can get it fixed then put some bulk 3M material there to prevent that from happening again.
Old Mar 27, 2004, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

I asked my dealer to fix the doors a few days ago when my car was there getting the headlight replaced. The driver's side is getting pretty chipped up, only a coulple of small chips on the passenger side. Well, they didn't fix the doors. They wrote on the work order "Adjusting doors out will cause wind noise." What a bunch of dicks. Even if this is true, if they had called me and asked if I would prefer wind noise or chips, I would've gone with the wind noise. I'm going to try this myself.
Old Mar 27, 2004, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

Question

I was able to loosen the screws by using a large crescent wrench on the handle of a screwdriver. But I'm not able to move the stiker. I mean it's loose so I can wiggle it around, but it doesn't seem to be mounted in slotted holes or anything, so when I tighten the screws it ends up exactly where it was originally. Anyone who has done this have any tips?

Originally posted by alfredob1
1. Loosen the screws (red arrows). CAUTION . Don't loosen them too much or the plate behind it might fall and you'll be in a world of hurt.
2. Pull the striker (yellow arrow) towards the outside of the car, re-tighten screws while holding the striker.
3. Really tighten down the screws once striker is at desired location.
4. Check your handy work. Touch up chips, if any.

Someone mentioned this was not a suggested course of action. As I just tried this tonight I don't know of any long term ill effects (if any).

Edit: Sorry about the crappy picture.
Old Mar 27, 2004, 03:20 PM

I have these chips on mine at just under 3000 miles. The paint on this car seems to be ****. It already looks worse than my s2k which I've run for 3 years.

The problem for me is that the door alignment if fine further up the door, e.g. up by the handle. So if I pull the door out then it might be good at the bottom but will look weird at the top, where it's much more noticeable. The problem seems to be with the way the door is fabricated, not the way it's fitted. I started to talk to the dealer about the problem and so far his suggestion is 'buy some mud flaps'. I'm not sure I have the energy to argue with them about changing the door + then the paint probably won't match the rest of the car (although if it's new I guess it's not such a risk?).

I had a look at the stone guard stuff and I'm not so keen on that either. I think I'll go for the mud flaps option and ask the dealer to pay from them. Personally I don't mind the way it looks with the mud flaps.

Of course that wont protect the front of the car... Does anyone know if there's a way to get some kind of independent test of the quality of the paint job, and then maybe we can go back to Mitsubishi with a formal complaint?
Old Mar 28, 2004, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

Mine is the same way, it's even around most of the door, just recessed a little bit at the bottom. It is really a problem with the shape of the door instead of the alignment. I just want to pull it out a small amount, so it won't stick out much at the top. I'm thinking less than 1/16" should do it
Old Mar 28, 2004, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

That's a mitsu thing.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh my god did you take pics of my car. Same color same exact thing???? Dunno if i should take it to the dealer and tell them your paint is ****ed up.

Quick Reply: Strange paint chips Poll