Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!
View Poll Results: Do you have these strange paint chips? See photo below.
Yes, I have it too.
75.62%
No, mine is fine.
24.38%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Strange paint chips Poll

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2004, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I couldn't see the original pic of the chips... anyone help?
Old Jun 8, 2004, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

i've got em' on my rally red =-(
Old Jun 8, 2004, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone brought there car to a dealership about this problem. Have the fixed it. If so what dealer and whats there phone number. My dealership wants to check on this problem becuase when i brought it up to them they didnt know about it and i showed them the problem on there shop evo and he was like WOW.

ERIK
Old Jun 8, 2004, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SubiEvolved
Has anyone brought there car to a dealership about this problem. Have the fixed it. If so what dealer and whats there phone number. My dealership wants to check on this problem becuase when i brought it up to them they didnt know about it and i showed them the problem on there shop evo and he was like WOW.

ERIK
I am assuming pretty much everyone here brought their Evo back to Mitsubishi.
My dealer new nothing about the problem until I brought it up.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

same here with me...and I have yet to get mine fixed..."oh well, we will talk to the district rep" (quoting words of dealership). i have yet to get any further, that when i first mentioned it.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 07:57 PM
ED4

Originally Posted by IgottaEVO
I couldn't see the original pic of the chips... anyone help?
Me either. I asked for the pics of links. But nothing.
Old Jun 9, 2004, 03:45 AM
Evolving Member

Don't have the pic anymore, not sure why the original one doesn’t work anymore since it was uploaded on the message board. Sorry can't help you, mine is fixed so I can't take pictures of it.

If you have the chips you’ll know it, it is very visible.
Old Jun 9, 2004, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

I'm going to the dealer today at lunch time. Any words of advice for me? I am going to show them the chips that are accumulating on my silver evo and i'm going to show them where I have to keep putting touchup paint on them so that it will not rust. I think this should fall under warranty, but want to find out some of the things you guys did that got them to repaint for you and put the 3m protector on?
Old Jun 9, 2004, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Well just got back from the dealership. The service manager is a total ***. I showed him the chips and where i added touch up. I also showed him both sides of the car. All chips are on the drivers side, none on the passenger side. He said we do not warranty rock chips. I said well why is the car chipping only on one side and why has mitsu been putting 3m guard on this place on all the new models. It's obviously a design flaw. He once again said we do not warranty rock chips. So i left. Those of you who got this fixed under warranty are very lucky. Heck the service manager told me that I was the first person to ever have the problem. (STOHLMAN MITSU) I told him that everyone I know with a 2003 evo has this problem and i find it hard to believe i was the first to say something. It is not very noticiable so I will touch up what I can and just add the 3m guard overtop of it to prevent any further damage.
Old Jun 9, 2004, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by caymandiver75
Well just got back from the dealership. The service manager is a total ***. I showed him the chips and where i added touch up. I also showed him both sides of the car. All chips are on the drivers side, none on the passenger side. He said we do not warranty rock chips. I said well why is the car chipping only on one side and why has mitsu been putting 3m guard on this place on all the new models. It's obviously a design flaw. He once again said we do not warranty rock chips. So i left. Those of you who got this fixed under warranty are very lucky. Heck the service manager told me that I was the first person to ever have the problem. (STOHLMAN MITSU) I told him that everyone I know with a 2003 evo has this problem and i find it hard to believe i was the first to say something. It is not very noticiable so I will touch up what I can and just add the 3m guard overtop of it to prevent any further damage.
I had to fight with my dealership as well. I actually had to fight with the Mitsubishi district service rep. to get it painted. I would call corporate and file a complain about the chip. Most people just didn't notice it but on later models the passenger door behind the driver side sits out correctly so the chip problem is gone.

When you call make sure to have you VIN ready.
Old Jun 9, 2004, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hanzo
I had to fight with my dealership as well. I actually had to fight with the Mitsubishi district service rep. to get it painted. I would call corporate and file a complain about the chip. Most people just didn't notice it but on later models the passenger door behind the driver side sits out correctly so the chip problem is gone.

When you call make sure to have you VIN ready.

Just curious, but where can I find that number as I'm sure the dealership won't be willing to give it to me? Also, what did you tell the dealership that finally agreed to fixing the chips?
Old Jun 19, 2004, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

I am bringing my car in on Tuesday to have the rock chip damaged area repaired/repainted. Mitsubishi is also paying for a rental car for me for 2 days until I get my car back.
You guys really need to push this issue more with your local dealers because from what I understand Mitsubishi DOES know about this issue however it is way down on their list of importance.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by caymandiver75
^^ HA, thats HILARIOUS...the guy must be smoking crack, because I went there earler in the year for the same problem, and he gave me a thing of touch-up paint and sent me on my way, but see I specifically payed for a paint warranty, ($2,300 or so ) and the paint chips are getting worse, they are not just limited to the driver side rear door, but the front door as well, If stohlman denies me the warranty work, Let's just say I wont be a happy customer...
Old Jun 20, 2004, 10:05 AM

my paint chips are under my bumper, but they come around each side of the lip.... i've driven alot of lowered cars and i never got scrapped up front like this... i've caught 2 driveways since i've owned the car... it looks like i catch every one
Old Jun 20, 2004, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hybrid4g64
my paint chips are under my bumper, but they come around each side of the lip.... i've driven alot of lowered cars and i never got scrapped up front like this... i've caught 2 driveways since i've owned the car... it looks like i catch every one
Try convincing the dealer to cover that and you would be considered a miracle worker !

Quick Reply: Strange paint chips Poll