Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

to tint or not to tint???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2008, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to tint or not to tint???

hey guys, so as the title says, my question is whether or not to tint my 04 TB evo. like the way it looks on a WW or GG car, but not sure about a black car without black wheels. my last car was a modded audi a6, which i drove as a sleeper. other than lowered, blacked grill and wheels, the car looked stock. great to see the looks on porsche drivers faces after they got smoked by a "stock" audi.

i had always like the idea of tint, but didnt want the added attention or reason for the 5-0 to pull me over. the thing is, with a lowerd evo, airplane wing, and hks exhaust, i already get the attention of cops anywhere i go. so i am now considering tint. legal limit is 30% but i also like the look of 20%. before anyone says it, i have searched and seen the different look, plenty of threads and pics out there.

so what i want to know, whos all got an opinion about whether to tint or not? what percentage tint did you decide to go with and are you happy with the results? how hard is it to see at night? how much more attention did you get from cops and did you get pulled over more because of it? what about upkeep and longevity of the tint?

sorry for all the questions but i like to get others opinions before i drop anymore money into the car. thanks for any and all opinions, looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say!

btw any pics, esp before or after are of course welcome but i dont need to get flamed for not looking at the "official TB thread" (i have almost every pic)
Old Dec 20, 2008, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

I personally love the tint on my car...its 5% tho and the cops dont like that much around here...I think it makes the car look a lot cleaner imo
Old Dec 20, 2008, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes tint looks cool. Unfortunately Nj has super strict no tint laws.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

dsc evo, wow 5% is way dark. have any pics of that? sure it looks awesome. and above poster, i didnt realize nj had strict tint laws, i know PA is semi-strict but as i spend most of my time in ny im not too worried about that. what are the laws? thanks guys for the quick response!
Old Dec 20, 2008, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

I run 5% tint and I love it. But, I have a lot of cf/black parts.. (wheels, VG, trunk, mirrors, front lip, side skirts, jdm rear) so it fits right in. If your not going to go with the full blacked out look.. I wouldn't tint your windows to dark.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

here is some pictures of my eb with 5%

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...w-journey.html
Old Dec 20, 2008, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

wow that is a beautiful car. love the other car with the rally lights. looks like a fun day too. all i have is the carbon fiber front emblem, rexpeed CF shorty antenna, and de badged trunk. eventually i wana do cf trunk (prob wingless like yours), black side markers etc...i am a big fan of everything in moderation and flow with the rest of the car, which is why im a little unsure about tinting without any other blacked out parts. maybe 30 percent just to set it off? i kina think it looks better on other color cars to contrast the body color, but could look good on black too. thanks again, keep em coming!
Old Dec 20, 2008, 08:13 PM
Account Disabled

tint is ugly
Old Dec 20, 2008, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tint! I have it at the state legal limit which is 35% in WA but it's still good enough for me. Perfect visibility day or night and also helps a lot with heat and curious eyes.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

I vote tint. maybe 15% not too dark but dark enough to give you that clean look.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:24 PM

Tint it without question but make sure you get a high quality film installed ie...Solargard Supreme Hybrid...No metallics...they suck for cell phone reception and or if you choose to do Nav or have an EZ pass!!! Make sure the shop that does it is IWFA certified and uses Computercut because you don't want a knife cutting into you lower window gaskets or on your car at all!!! I would get something custom in the film because I like to be different but to each his own...Lighter film looks classier and gives a nice Silhouette in the car(also keeps the cops off your ***) while providing you with up to 97%uva-uvb rejection!!! Don't forget to do the windshield also...50% is virtually undetectable on the shield but really helps with the sun drastically cutting down on glare in the car and bleaching of the cars interior!!! It will also make your car a little quieter because it's like a sound deadening on the glass!!! If you go super dark...take the wing off and get a back up camera!!! Curbing Volks,or SSR's really does suck!!!
Hallstar Tint & Detail Inc...
"Why Squint - Get Tint"
East Coasts Finest !!!
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

I would tint it.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

hallstarm wow it sounds like you really know your tint. i know the basics like the computercut and such but i had no idea for things such as a custom layer in between. very impressed by the information you provided, thanks a ton. are you a tint shop or do you work for a tint shop or something? if your only in md might be worth checking out. thanks again for the info, let me know whats going on on your end...

above 82, wow that tint looks so hot on your car. is that 5%? bet it really helps in tx. really compliments the bbs wheels nicely. that pic is seriously swaying my decision. great looking car my man
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i would love to tint mine but can't justify spending the money for it. Rather buy other parts

Quick Reply: to tint or not to tint???