Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Stevo's Custom CT9A Head Lights (Bling Edition)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2008, 01:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
subscribed!
Old Dec 30, 2008, 02:26 AM
Account Disabled

Yeah, S2k then TSX.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 02:47 AM
Evolved Member

Subscribed as well. Looks awesome. Can you go into more detail about this "Washer Mod" and how it's performed. Some pics would be great.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 02:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by iEvoVII
Yeah, heard on HID forums that LS430's & S2K were head to head.Most of the comments I read lent more towards S2K. Dunno if we get LS430's in OZ but S2K definately. Easy to access.

An LS430's width FAR exceeded my S2000 AP2 retro setup. See for yourself! (rehosted pic originally pilfered from hidplanet.com)

IIRC the LS430's have a side mirror of sorts to angle light out sideways but unfortunately they are relatively large projector units (especially for single xenons) so they probably wouldn't fit in our headlamp housings anyway... but if you wanted to try, you would be the first!
Old Dec 30, 2008, 03:33 AM
Evolved Member

thats dediction right there, cant wait to see them on the car
Old Dec 30, 2008, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SRT-TO-EVO
Subscribed as well. Looks awesome. Can you go into more detail about this "Washer Mod" and how it's performed. Some pics would be great.
hmmm. I cant give away too many trade secrets now can I!!!!!
ill put:
- lightwerkz.net
- theretrofitsource.com
- 10thStJDM.com
and the likes out of business. haha

basically, the washer mod is like adding if you wanna call it a "gasket" in between the projector housing and the projector lense. In my case, I just used some thick card board and made a ring with some scissors. I overlayed 4 rings to give me a thickness of 1.5mm. You'll find that once you go passed a certain thickness, the beam pattern will become blurred. I found that gradually adding a ring increased the thickness of the "blue band". In summary, 4 rings produced a good result on JDM VIIIMR projectors. S2K projectors com standard with 1 ring. I found that a total of 3 rings produced good results.
Make the rings by tracing the outline of the projector lense onto some card board. Cut "slightly" (talking 1mm) within the traced line so that it will fit 1st time into the projector housing.

Originally Posted by Billy
An LS430's width FAR exceeded my S2000 AP2 retro setup. See for yourself! (rehosted pic originally pilfered from hidplanet.com)

IIRC the LS430's have a side mirror of sorts to angle light out sideways but unfortunately they are relatively large projector units (especially for single xenons) so they probably wouldn't fit in our headlamp housings anyway... but if you wanted to try, you would be the first!
Thanks for the info and pic.. even that width has width!!!! I would assume these projectors are sought after and dont stay on FS threads for long. You got any stats on these projectors regarding pricing and measurments?

Cheers,
Stevo
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by iEvoVII
Thanks for the info and pic.. even that width has width!!!! I would assume these projectors are sought after and dont stay on FS threads for long. You got any stats on these projectors regarding pricing and measurments?
They used to go quickly in projector classifieds but I'm not sure about now. They pop up from time to time.

Keep in mind that the USDM LS430 (certain years only but I forget which ones, not the current year for sure) projector may differ from the AUDM LS430 projector (heck, I don't even know if you have LS430's or Lexus there?) so there may be more involved than simply fabricating a new RHD shield especially since the shroud is part of the optic package... again IIRC.

Here is the thread from the site where all this goodness comes from. Feel free to join and ask around.
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/view...=ls430&start=0

The dimensions might be in the University section (I had a brief look around for ya but couldn't find it) and someone might be selling a set in the classifieds there. If you do that, read the classifieds rules first before you post as they are kind of unusual.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Well, even though I wouldn't spend that much but however I have to give it to you for your hard work.

It's cool how you have the passion to do something that's costly and difficult as well. I wouldn't have done, and surely 90% of the guys on this forum wouldn't as well. I hear a lot negative comments, but don't let that get you down. If it's something that you're passion about, just do it.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tvbf1
Well, even though I wouldn't spend that much but however I have to give it to you for your hard work.

It's cool how you have the passion to do something that's costly and difficult as well. I wouldn't have done, and surely 90% of the guys on this forum wouldn't as well. I hear a lot negative comments, but don't let that get you down. If it's something that you're passion about, just do it.
Thanks for the encouragement!
I certainly have a passion for lighting. I want the best features from every car on my VII. Ive also got a custom tail light thread that ive posted on EvoOz. I might wait a while before i post here so people have time to digest this one. There will also be a Custom interior thread in the pipeline too.
Basically, I have a passion for everything custom. Im actually glad that 90% of ppl wouldnt committ to such a project. It means that no one else will have head lights like these on a CT9A. I certainly wished that it didnt cost as much as it did but hey, I knew wot I was in for, I made certain sacrifices, I saved the money and I will soon enjoy the rewards. These mods will hold for the life of the car, so when it comes time to sell, there's gonna be a lucky new owner.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts
Uhhh.... semi on topic here.....

I have JDM MR headlights, is there anyway to get the driver side one to be flat across like the right side one?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by V.8MR

I have JDM MR headlights, is there anyway to get the driver side one to be flat across like the right side one?
I have no idea what youre talking about??? you'll need to specify even further
Old Dec 30, 2008, 01:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts
Forget it.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 04:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 195 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by V.8MR

Yes, you can modify the shield to make it completely level/flat two ways. Either cut down the high part of the sheild to make the shield level all the way across, or be creative and mount a piece of metal (or whatever for that mater) to fill in the low part of the shield to make it level. Either way, it will take time and patience...

Or you could buy a set of USDM projectors and swap them directly into your jdm housings to have the correct beam pattern as well.

Nice project to the OP! I've retrofitted many different projectors in various cars, and I may try out your "mod" to the evo projectors the next time I open my housings!

Old Dec 30, 2008, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

Does any 1 know if you can just change the lens on the USDM Hid without changing the Projector And if not how hard would it be to make the S2000 or others work with the USDM that came with Hid
Old Dec 30, 2008, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

do you know what makes the USDM evo projectors un-modable? and what makes the JDM ones modable?

Quick Reply: Stevo's Custom CT9A Head Lights (Bling Edition)