Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Stevo's Custom CT9A Head Lights (Bling Edition)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2009, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Looks good from here....costly, but looks good!
Old Jan 12, 2009, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iEvoVII
What info are you needing exactly? What projector will you be running?
These wont be on the car for a while. Im accumulating all my other mods together (custom tail lights, custom interior panels). Once the car comes out of the panel shop with the widebody installed then I will fit all these parts.
However, i will be posting light output pics when the heads are done. Just not on the car!!

ive got the jdm evo 8 "blacked out headlights" on my car but want to get the retrofit of either the tsx hids or infinity fx35 hids but would really like to get the s2000 hids but i heard lightwerkz.com does not like to do that install .....i def want to get the color mod done also.

can u post pics of light outout pics, different light temperatures, cutoff lines, ect ,ect
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:50 AM

Did these headlights ever get finished?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^

These are not finished... My VII has been interstate getting big engine work done. It's been 16 months and counting coz I've been dealing with a low life vendor and his bad business practises. It's a damn long story....

I need the car back so I can do some trial and error fitting of the projectors so they're level with the ground.

Another reason is that I want to change the set up:
* looking to replace the OEM FX35 BiXenon projector in the low beam housing for a set of better performing FX-R projectors
* Also replace the OEM S2K projectors in the high beam housing for a set of rumoured to be better S2K-R projectors.. These still havnt been released to the public yet. They've been over due just like my car
Old Oct 18, 2010, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

wow looks great, you definitely know your stuff. Good luck and I'm sure the finished project will look great.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by iEvoVII
^^

These are not finished... My VII has been interstate getting big engine work done. It's been 16 months and counting coz I've been dealing with a low life vendor and his bad business practises. It's a damn long story....

I need the car back so I can do some trial and error fitting of the projectors so they're level with the ground.

Another reason is that I want to change the set up:
* looking to replace the OEM FX35 BiXenon projector in the low beam housing for a set of better performing FX-R projectors
* Also replace the OEM S2K projectors in the high beam housing for a set of rumoured to be better S2K-R projectors.. These still havnt been released to the public yet. They've been over due just like my car
Ok. Cheers for the reply.

I am the resident HID geek on the UK MLR forum.

I am also looking at options on a quad Bi-Xenon set up on my headlights.

I think the FX-R's could be a good set up.

I have a spare HID headlight that I am going to take apart and take some measurements to see what will fit the easiest and still retain the OEM adjustments.

I have been reading up on the lighting mods that you have done and am very impressed with your work.

Old Oct 18, 2010, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow alot of work put into these.
I don't really see the point, because the difference between OEM vs. Modified is minimal from what I see in the pictures in this thread.

Seems like you are making these lights emit more light, which sounds like it would **** everyone off if they were in front of me.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

wow thats hella cool!! nice work!
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

Are these considered street legal being that the H.I.D's line comes across high? From what i remember they have to be pointing down to be legal. How did you manage this? plus from the picture installed on the station wagon, isnt those beams super bright/ too wide?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dave-Cee
Ok. Cheers for the reply.

I am the resident HID geek on the UK MLR forum.

I am also looking at options on a quad Bi-Xenon set up on my headlights.

I think the FX-R's could be a good set up.

I have a spare HID headlight that I am going to take apart and take some measurements to see what will fit the easiest and still retain the OEM adjustments.

I have been reading up on the lighting mods that you have done and am very impressed with your work.

Hey Dave,

before you open up your HLs ill give you some pix + projector dimensions in relation to a CT9A housing.. Hopefully give you some insight and a clearer choice into which projectors to choose.
shoot me a PM on the possible set ups youre thinking of going with...

Originally Posted by h22gordo
I don't really see the point, because the difference between OEM vs. Modified is minimal from what I see in the pictures in this thread.

Seems like you are making these lights emit more light, which sounds like it would **** everyone off if they were in front of me.
Originally Posted by Lancer XI1
Are these considered street legal being that the H.I.D's line comes across high? From what i remember they have to be pointing down to be legal. How did you manage this? plus from the picture installed on the station wagon, isnt those beams super bright/ too wide?
Some absolutely noob posts above

ill attend to these later
Old Oct 19, 2010, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

ive always loved HID's for their cutoff lines and color, not so much as the brightness, definitely hope to see the outcome soon
Old Oct 20, 2010, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

Im not sure if you dont see the point of:
* modifying the cutoff to get a thicker blue edge
or
*changing from OEM projector to an S2K projector.

Ill answer both:
The reason I took the output shots in those conditions (3 meters from wall / narrow kitchen space) was to purely show the blue cutoff mod. In those conditions, I can honestly say theres enough worth while difference in peforming this 2 minute mod. Even at 3 meters..

Stock JDM CT9A:

Modified JDM CT9A:

stock S2K:

Modified S2K:

You must be blind if you think its "minimal" at 3 meters
The further you position the projector away from the wall, the thicker the blue edge will become. If you dont fancy that blue edge then thats your prerogative but if you dont fully understand the phyiscs behind this mod and why its done then you not seeing the point because its Minimal is just your lack of inexperience

Why its done?
Because some ppl want that exotic / luxury car look when they see the lights changing color from a distance (color ficker). When you do this mod, its better than OEM exotic / luxury cars lights

These pix are not consistant with my light output testing but ive linked them to give you an idea of distance & blue edge thickness.
Vehicle: E46 M3 running Quad OEM FX35 projectors with TSX lenses
http://www.lightwerkz.net/gallery/ma...serialNumber=1

http://www.lightwerkz.net/gallery/ma...serialNumber=1

Changing from JDM CT9A projector to an S2K projector:
Let me ask 2 questions:
1) Have you ever seen and experienced the
* JDM CT9A cutoff &
* JDM CT9A beam pattern width?
2) Have you ever seen and experienced an S2K beam pattern width?

If your answer is NO to any part of the questions then you have no basis for making inexperienced comments.

The JDM cutoff is absolutely CRAP. It "slopes" up entirely to the left so that only the right side is parallel with the ground. The S2K cutoff "steps" up to the left but then shines parallel with the ground. S2K has a much better looking cutoff.
Your USDM HID and Halogen CT9A cutoffs are basically a mirror image of a RHD S2K cutoff. Yous are lucky and dont have a mirror image of a JDM cutoff..

JDM CT9A width vs S2K width = S2K wins by far. Nothing more to say

These lights are NOT emitting more light
OEM lighting = OEM 4300K D2S bulb & OEM 35w ballast

* FX-Rs will be running: 4300K Phillips 85122+ bulbs & OEM 35w ballasts
*S2K-Rs will be running: 4300K Phillips 85122+ bulbs & aftermarket 35w ballasts

Yes, the quad set up will overlap each other but each projector will NOT emit more light than OEM. 4300K bulbs & 35w of power... hello!!!!

Ill only be pissing off everyone IF my projectors are not aligned properly. Dont think pissing people off is limited to HID lighting. Poorly aligned Halogen lighting will do the same thing. I plan to run my lighting set up as follows:
Instead of aligning my lights parallel to the ground, for ever 15 or so meters, the light will decline by about 5cm. At 30m, the decline is 10cm

Originally Posted by Lancer XI1
The pix were taken when the JDM CT9A projectors were placed ontop of a stool as well as the ground. Little thought was taken about positioning them to simulate correct fittment in the headlight. As a result, the beam pattern may give the impression of shinning "high".
As I stated earlier, the JDM CT9A cutoff "slopes" entirely to the left, but lighting in the far left diminishes quite rapidly to minimise unwanted glare.
So yes, the JDM CT9A "H.I.D line" is legal seeing as the projector is retained when the car is imported into Australia.

How did I manage this?
I merely just posted pix of the JDM CT9A output for comparison against S2K. Ill be ditching the CT9A projector.

Station wagon output:
I have no idea on that entire lighting setup. All I know is that the projectors are from LS430's. Dont know the specs on the Bulb or Ballast (35w or 55w)?

Too wide?
How do you enforce too wide?? If the beam pattern is aligned properly, why is width a problem? I think the LS430's come that wide standard. If that car is legally on the road then yeah!!!!!

Originally Posted by wasFWDnowAWD
ive always loved HID's for their cutoff lines and color, not so much as the brightness, definitely hope to see the outcome soon
Spot on
HID projectors are all about sharp and colorful cutoffs. So that oncomming traffic see your "color flicker"

Last edited by iEvoVII; Oct 20, 2010 at 06:22 AM. Reason: fixed link
Old Oct 20, 2010, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

just to back you up again, the s2k, tsx, fx35 retrofit mod is done to alot of different cars. ive seen alot of photos of lightwerkz.net's work. and would definately upgrade when mine go out. lighting is such an awesome feature especially if you cruise at night.

more info from another evoM member here:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-pictures.html

oem JDM CT9A cutoff (notice how uneven the "white" is)

modified TSX cutoff

modifed TSX on evo vs. porshe 911 turbo

drive up to your garage and see if your oem or jdm HID's do this!!!!

Last edited by wasFWDnowAWD; Oct 20, 2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

btw that BMW is amazing

Last edited by wasFWDnowAWD; Oct 20, 2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 02:48 AM
Evolving Member

"Too wide?
How do you enforce too wide?? If the beam pattern is aligned properly, why is width a problem? I think the LS430's come that wide standard. If that car is legally on the road then yeah!!!!!"

Here cops will pull you over for "high beams being too wide." My friend in his wrx and I were crusing when the cop whipped around and pulled him over and I was sitting in the passenger seat when the cop said "your beams are too wide." He said it was a safety hazard and could blind other drivers. My friend has 5000k's with 30w in his wrx with 3000k 35w fog lights.

I d hate to be in front of someone with these head lights. Please dont make them for raised trucks....

Last edited by Lancer XI1; Oct 21, 2010 at 02:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Stevo's Custom CT9A Head Lights (Bling Edition)