Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Stevo's Custom CT9A Head Lights (Bling Edition)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2010, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very impressive work sir,
Old Oct 21, 2010, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lancer XI1
Here cops will pull you over for "high beams being too wide." My friend in his wrx and I were crusing when the cop whipped around and pulled him over and I was sitting in the passenger seat when the cop said "your beams are too wide." He said it was a safety hazard and could blind other drivers. My friend has 5000k's with 30w in his wrx with 3000k 35w fog lights.

I d hate to be in front of someone with these head lights. Please dont make them for raised trucks....
why was he driving with highbeams on with oncoming traffic close enough to see?

a quick search around on google, and i couldnt find any limitations on headlight width, just brightness. still, cant you just claim that they are oem headlights? maybe by providing packaging showing they are SAE DOT approved?

and honestly if you compare them to the OEM porshe headlights, at a quick glance they dont look much difference. your friend must have had his aligned incorrectly, XENON HID's generally autolevel and aim downward. the cutoff line is usually at bumper height, so wont shine into anyones rear view, and if you look at the bmw's the dropoff point is right around where oncoming traffic would be, and from there its just shining to the ground
Old Oct 21, 2010, 09:52 AM
Former Sponsor

are there any pics of this finished on the car?
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wasFWDnowAWD
why was he driving with highbeams on with oncoming traffic close enough to see?

a quick search around on google, and i couldnt find any limitations on headlight width, just brightness. still, cant you just claim that they are oem headlights? maybe by providing packaging showing they are SAE DOT approved?

and honestly if you compare them to the OEM porshe headlights, at a quick glance they dont look much difference. your friend must have had his aligned incorrectly, XENON HID's generally autolevel and aim downward. the cutoff line is usually at bumper height, so wont shine into anyones rear view, and if you look at the bmw's the dropoff point is right around where oncoming traffic would be, and from there its just shining to the ground

He wasnt thats the point, he just swapped out his bulbs and headlights for some kit. Supposevely it was street legal, it cost him $400 to go back to stock since he had sold the old oem head lights.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
would love a set of s2k low beam projectors
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:37 PM

Makes my standard JDM 7's HID's seem pathetic
Old Oct 22, 2010, 04:05 AM

Subscribed! Thanks for all the hard work that you guys do.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 05:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Evoryder
would love a set of s2k low beam projectors
S2K's are a tight fit in the CT9A low beam housing. You need to really trim the projector down to the bare minimum. The mounting point arent exactly in the best locations. It was a while back but I think the projectors touche the side walls of the headlight, which would make adjustment difficult. You may need to do a bit of hack work to the HLs to make it fit. Ill have another play around with that combination later to confirm.
TSX projectors are the little brother of the S2K in terms of performance. Still a good projector but far better than the JDM and I would imagine USDM CT9A projector.
TSX mounting locations are FAR more user friendly than S2K. Esp in a CT9A low beam housing. Im currently working on a VIIGTA set fora friend with a IX. TSX's are already installed and the beam pattern is 10 times better....

My advice to anyone wanting to upgrade to a better Single Xenon projector in a CT9A HL is to go with a TSX arrangement. You are required to drill a minimum of 3 holes but the locations make it easy for correct alignment. And FAR less hassle then S2K

Originally Posted by Kr0nicGTA
Makes my standard JDM 7's HID's seem pathetic
Dont feel singled out... ALL JDM CT9A Projectors are in the same boat
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:11 AM

Which Bi-Xenon projectors would fit without too much hassle?

Old Oct 22, 2010, 02:06 PM

looks very bad *** would love to see this all together in the car
Old Oct 22, 2010, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by iEvoVII
S2K's are a tight fit in the CT9A low beam housing. You need to really trim the projector down to the bare minimum. The mounting point arent exactly in the best locations. It was a while back but I think the projectors touche the side walls of the headlight, which would make adjustment difficult. You may need to do a bit of hack work to the HLs to make it fit. Ill have another play around with that combination later to confirm.
TSX projectors are the little brother of the S2K in terms of performance. Still a good projector but far better than the JDM and I would imagine USDM CT9A projector.
TSX mounting locations are FAR more user friendly than S2K. Esp in a CT9A low beam housing. Im currently working on a VIIGTA set fora friend with a IX. TSX's are already installed and the beam pattern is 10 times better....

My advice to anyone wanting to upgrade to a better Single Xenon projector in a CT9A HL is to go with a TSX arrangement. You are required to drill a minimum of 3 holes but the locations make it easy for correct alignment. And FAR less hassle then S2K

Dont feel singled out... ALL JDM CT9A Projectors are in the same boat
I was reading on the TSX for the retro. What are the minimum components needed?
Old Oct 23, 2010, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by iEvoVII
Hey Dave,

before you open up your HLs ill give you some pix + projector dimensions in relation to a CT9A housing.. Hopefully give you some insight and a clearer choice into which projectors to choose.
shoot me a PM on the possible set ups youre thinking of going with...

I did send you a PM
Old Oct 24, 2010, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evoryder
I was reading on the TSX for the retro. What are the minimum components needed?
All you need are:
* TSX projectors
* Minimum of 3 bolts & 9 nuts (3 per bolt). I used 4mm thread thickness bolts

Tools:
* drill or Dremel to make the holes
* Grinder or Dremel to remove a section of the projector that gets in the way of the indicator housing.
* small adjustable spanner to tighten nuts
* Phillips head screw driver to help:
- tighten the nuts &
- adjust projector centrally from the adjustment screws on the back of the headlight.

The only problem with a TSX projector in a CT9A low beam housing is that the lense is only 2.5" where as OEM is 3".
There is quite a bit of gap around the projector

The owner of this particular set wants CCFL halos install. These will help reduce some of the gap

Originally Posted by Dave-Cee
I did send you a PM
Yeah I received it chief. Just trying to gather all the different projectors I have before replying
Old Oct 24, 2010, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

looks pretty sick!
Old May 30, 2012, 10:03 PM

Did these ever get finished? I really admire your dedication to the project and also that you recognize the importance of good lighting! I had lightwerkz retrofit the S2K projectors into my Supra's low beams a few years back and though it was expensive boy was it worth it. I wired up OEM Denso slim ballasts and the Philips 4300K 85122 D2S bulbs. I had the best light output and beam pattern of any Supra I've seen. Pity that the S2K's won't go into the Evo 8-9 headlights very easily but the TSX projectors are nearly as good and also cheaper.

One more thing - since the TSX projectors use D2S bulbs I'm assuming you just used the factory Evo harness, ballast, bulb and connector - correct?

Quick Reply: Stevo's Custom CT9A Head Lights (Bling Edition)