Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

HID Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2010, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just received my DDM 55w kit with 6k D2S bulbs my friend told me i got the wrong bulbs for a non hid evo. he said that i needed 9006 to fit. The housing that i have are the stock IX GSR non HID housings. Is this true or will my 6K D2S bulbs work?
Old Feb 2, 2010, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

nvm^^^ i figured it out. I just ordered some 9006 bulbs... and now the waiting game
Old Feb 6, 2010, 12:57 AM
Evolving Member

Just a heads up to anyone installing a DDM kit on a non HID evo: When you finally hook up the DDM harness to the OEM one make sure to reverse the connection or they wont work. To repeat, if you install these correctly; the way it appears the connector should attach, THEY WILL NOT WORK!!! The connection to the OEM harness must be reversed to work properly!!! Everything else is as it should be.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 02:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xxxAce21xxx
my housing melted =(
i wish i knew where to get new ones =(
it wasnt because i increased the ballast size tho accidently left the fogs on when i taped my lights up =(
How exactly do you leave lights on while taping the housing?! Even 35w Lights generate a significant amount of heat so even if you were blind you should realize they were on.

Originally Posted by tvbf1
I didn't have HID's orginally...After a year and half, I switch it to DDM 55W kit ...The housing is still fine even with the 55W kit.

...The thing that I don't like about it is that their bulb doesn't disburse the light. The light beam is kind of concentrated into a beam instead of spreading out. This is not do to the non-HID housing (projector lense), because when I ran it with the Kaixen kit, lighting are disbursed on the pavement.
I wonder if the non-HID stock housing can take the heat better than the stock HID housing, seeing that the non-HID was intended for a 55w lowbeam bulb. I honestly would imagine that the boundary for heat would be the same but the internals changed (HID pj, non-HID pj, etc.).

As for the 55w HIDs not dispersing the light I wonder if that is simply because they are so bright it emphasizes imperfections with a projector that is not meant for that bright of a bulb. Regardless if the projector was meant for HID or non-HID, that is one bright bulb! I've always toyed with going to 55w on my vehicles but never have. Very interesting info!

Originally Posted by ChuckP
G35's use a projector housing
I think it was mentioned but both the initial G35 sedan and coupe used reflectors. It wasn't for a couple years that they both got the upgrade to projectors, and I believe the coupe was a year earlier, even.

Originally Posted by ChuckP
Yeah, dont buy 8000k bulbs.
This, unless you like the blue flavah. Looking at them from another vehicle, they aren't horrendously overly blue but your vision from in the vehicle seems very blue, IMO.

Originally Posted by evoIXcencal83
I just received my DDM 55w kit with 6k D2S bulbs my friend told me i got the wrong bulbs for a non hid evo. he said that i needed 9006 to fit. The housing that i have are the stock IX GSR non HID housings. Is this true or will my 6K D2S bulbs work?
Sounds like you figured it out. Basically the bulb type such as D2S, 9006, etc. also designates the socket type. Bulbs types have a specific base pattern and need to be matched to a corresponding socket. That said, some of the base patterns/sockets are close in shape and a bit of grinding with a dremel can make some of them work that weren't intended to.

Originally Posted by evoIXcencal83
Just a heads up to anyone installing a DDM kit on a non HID evo: When you finally hook up the DDM harness to the OEM one make sure to reverse the connection or they wont work. To repeat, if you install these correctly; the way it appears the connector should attach, THEY WILL NOT WORK!!! The connection to the OEM harness must be reversed to work properly!!! Everything else is as it should be.
pics for clarification? Based on what you're saying I'm guessing the wires were installed into the harness back-***-wards. QC at its best!
Old Feb 6, 2010, 02:44 AM
Evolving Member

The final connection that you would make during the installation process is to connect the clip that is close to the base of the bulb to the OEM lighting wiring harness. It is apparent the way the clip should be inserted. If you install it the way that the lockiing mechanism functions ; then the HIDs will not work. You must reverse it when connecting to the OEM harness. Its was pretty easy, just a silly inconvenience. I figured it out by trail and error.

Last edited by evoIXcencal83; Feb 6, 2010 at 02:46 AM.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 02:50 AM
Evolving Member

After doing a bit of research Ive found that people installing these on Toyotas (Supras, Celicas) had the same problem. It a universal kit only the bulb is application specific. It works great beside that minor setback.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 04:18 AM
Evolved Member

Wow, so their QC is letting these go out the door quite a bit! It is just 2 wires that clip into that connector that goes to your factory harness. They reversed them and aren't realizing that in whatever QC they have. It should be pretty easy to fix so that these can be installed correctly and work.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yahu
Wow, so their QC is letting these go out the door quite a bit! It is just 2 wires that clip into that connector that goes to your factory harness. They reversed them and aren't realizing that in whatever QC they have. It should be pretty easy to fix so that these can be installed correctly and work.
Wrong all cars are different some have reversed polarity on the harness . So if you had to switch them around on the Evo you would not have to do that to a couple other cars with the same bulb size .

9006 is a very common bulb used in many cars .
Old Feb 7, 2010, 01:30 AM
Evolved Member

I guess I'm just one 100% lucky som' batch then. I've added hids to plenty of cars and never had them reversed; I've purposely used different brands to build feedback and try them out, too.

If this is a common occurrence then I'd hope included documentation would cover this but I've never seen it. Of course, the documentation is typically broken Engrish so maybe I just didn't read it.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I notice that on imports the polarity is never really reversed but it is very common on domestics .
Old Feb 7, 2010, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

I've done about as many domestics as imports, but the domestics were mostly trucks and SUVs.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm interested to know if anyone has used these kits int their foglamp or high beams as well? If so pics and review pls
Old Feb 7, 2010, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
ok so no one answered the first question? can u change the 35w ballast to a 55w ballast on the stock oem HID housing?
Old Feb 7, 2010, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

My Evo 9 has already a stock HID but I still upgraded to 8000K (just the bulb not the kit). My question is, is it okay to put a 55w 8000K HID bulb on the stock HID of Evo 9?
Old Feb 7, 2010, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running a 55w bulb on a 35w ballast is stupid and pointless. You need a 55w ballast to run a 55w bulb.

Quick Reply: HID Upgrade