Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

HID Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2009, 01:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HID Upgrade

Hey, I was wondering if any of you EVO guys have upgraded your HIDs?? When I say upgrade, im more referring to

- upgrading your ballasts from the 35w OEM ones to 55w
- and/or increasing ur kelvin temp

Im deciding on if i wanna do that. i dunno whether i wanna full out and do both or do one, i dont really wanna sacrifice light output though that is why i was gonna increase my ballast wattage. Whatever i decide I wanna do it all at once cause u have to take off your bumper.

I heard from someone that if u increase ur ballasts i can melt ur headlight housing

So i just wanted to know if people did it

- where they got there kits from
- how they liked it
- what they upgraded
- if they noticed a increase of light output or a huge decrease if they just changed there bulb from 4300k(stock) to ______

THANKS!
Old Feb 2, 2009, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my housing melted =(
i wish i knew where to get new ones =(
it wasnt because i increased the ballast size tho accidently left the fogs on when i taped my lights up =(
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

bump im interested also...

has anyone upgraded the stock 35w ballast to a 55w unit?
Old Jan 3, 2010, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

bump ... interested in this
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:31 PM

You do run the risk of melting the housings going to a 55w kit. I'm not sure with the evo's however if this is an issue.

Going up in bulb temperature (giong up the kelvin scale) does NOT increase light output but infact it does the opposite. The brightest rating is around 4300K-5000K. The majority of the factory based HID's are 4300K. 6000K is the highest I would go without sacrificing light output.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

I didn't have HID's orginally, but I upgraded my Helogen to Kaixen 35W HID kit. After a year and half, I switch it to DDM 55W kit (http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p...=101&parent=85). I do quite a bit of night driving, often times for about 4 hrs. The housing is still fine even with the 55W kit.

Going from a 35W to a 55W kit, there's a clear difference in the intensity. 55W kit is much brighter.

IMO, I would go for some other kit instead of the DDM. The thing that I don't like about it is that their bulb doesn't disburse the light. The light beam is kind of concentrated into a beam instead of spreading out. This is not do to the non-HID housing (projector lense), because when I ran it with the Kaixen kit, lighting are disbursed on the pavement.

The other thing is that, after about a year of use the ballast starts to die. There was incidents that was on the free way at night when the ballast shut down. Luckly that I went back on after I turn the lights off and then on again. But eventually it just gaved out. There is a life time warranty on the unit, but that warranty is nothing when you're on the road.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

I've been running a DDM 55w 6000k kit for a while now. Not one problem.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ChuckP
I've been running a DDM 55w 6000k kit for a while now. Not one problem.
I guess I was unlucky and got a bad kit out of the batch.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

The bulbs aren't the greatest, but what do you expect for $70. If you got the money, pick up a set of Philips DL50 (~$150). Best bulb ever made.

You can't run HIDs through a non hid projector and expect a sharp cutoff or even light output.

Once a week one of my ignitors doesn't fire when i turn them on. I just flip it off, then back on and it's fine.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tvbf1
I didn't have HID's orginally, but I upgraded my Helogen to Kaixen 35W HID kit. After a year and half, I switch it to DDM 55W kit (http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p...=101&parent=85). I do quite a bit of night driving, often times for about 4 hrs. The housing is still fine even with the 55W kit.

Going from a 35W to a 55W kit, there's a clear difference in the intensity. 55W kit is much brighter.

IMO, I would go for some other kit instead of the DDM. The thing that I don't like about it is that their bulb doesn't disburse the light. The light beam is kind of concentrated into a beam instead of spreading out. This is not do to the non-HID housing (projector lense), because when I ran it with the Kaixen kit, lighting are disbursed on the pavement.

The other thing is that, after about a year of use the ballast starts to die. There was incidents that was on the free way at night when the ballast shut down. Luckly that I went back on after I turn the lights off and then on again. But eventually it just gaved out. There is a life time warranty on the unit, but that warranty is nothing when you're on the road.
The reason being that you are running a 55Watt kit . Most if not all 55Watt kits i have seen distort the light output . I would stick to a quality 35Watt kit and call it a day .

I would say if you want a brighter light and having a good output in cutoff and how its disbursed is just buy new Hid bulbs since Hid bulbs do fade over time .
If you do buy new bulbs stick with the 4300k or the 5000k .
Old Jan 4, 2010, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like alot of halogen to HID converts....no OEM 35W to 50W or 55W upgrades out there? Looking at the connectors I don't know that it'd be an easy mod...
Old Jan 4, 2010, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jamdown
Sounds like alot of halogen to HID converts....no OEM 35W to 50W or 55W upgrades out there? Looking at the connectors I don't know that it'd be an easy mod...
Not sure what you're asking...But i had the OEM 35w HID and upgraded to a 55w kit. Easy mod.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was running a 35w 6000k kit from SharpHID.com. It was a great plug and play kit. The one thing I noticed were how quiet the ballast were at warm-up.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tsidrift1
I was running a 35w 6000k kit from SharpHID.com. It was a great plug and play kit. The one thing I noticed were how quiet the ballast were at warm-up.
I have a sharphid kit on my 2g dsm and love it.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 03:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ChuckP
Not sure what you're asking...But i had the OEM 35w HID and upgraded to a 55w kit. Easy mod.
Awesome! What I'd meant was there were a lot of halogen to HID converts commenting on their upgrades but no OEM hid-equipped 35W to 55W replies until you!!
You gotta tell me how you did it!

Quick Reply: HID Upgrade