Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

EVO VIII spoiler remove

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2009, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO VIII spoiler remove

I am going to remove my stock spoiler, I was looking at how its attached and I have read that I need to remove the 2 nuts and 2 bolts then rock it off. I also might need to use fishing line to seperate the tape. I am assuming I need to remove the rubber stoppers on the trunk to get at the bolts, is there something I am missing, I tried to slide them off/twist and slide but they seem like they are on there pretty good. Any suggestions for getting them off?

Sorry if this has been covered, I tried searching, and have not read any mention of this. I am just afraid of breaking anything
Old Feb 15, 2009, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

If I remember correctly those rubber stoppers just need to be forced off... I may be wrong I guess wait for another reply.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my case, the two bolts closest to the rear of the car were exsposed already, while the two closest to the rear window were covered by black vinyl stickers.

You have the right idea with the 10mm socket and some fishing line/dental floss though...but another tip is to leave the rear of your car in direct sunlight to loosen that industrial strength double-sided tape. My spoiler practically fell off when I did that.

Beware, the area underneathe where the spoiler was mounted may be ugly. My paint was blistering; probably from the trapped moisture. So I either need to do some cosmetic work or find a Lancer trunk.

I fell in love with my car all over again once I removed the spoiler, let us know what you think

Good Luck
Old Feb 15, 2009, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
I just had to put mine back on- there are 2 nuts and 2 bolts. the two nuts are closest to the rear window covered by a black rubber cover. remove the cover then get a 10mm socket to remove. The two bolts closest to the rear of the car are hidden by the rubber pieces that level out the rear trunklid. Unscrew those from the holes then the nuts are under that.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DonHugo
I just had to put mine back on- there are 2 nuts and 2 bolts. the two nuts are closest to the rear window covered by a black rubber cover. remove the cover then get a 10mm socket to remove. The two bolts closest to the rear of the car are hidden by the rubber pieces that level out the rear trunklid. Unscrew those from the holes then the nuts are under that.
The rubber levelers are my problem...so they unscrew? Or do I need to just force them off?

Hope my paints not bubbled
Old Feb 15, 2009, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by casper980
The rubber levelers are my problem...so they unscrew? Or do I need to just force them off?

Hope my paints not bubbled
That's what they're called! I had a brainfart there and I couldn't think of the name.

Yes they unscrew and the bolts are under them
Old Feb 15, 2009, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DonHugo
That's what they're called! I had a brainfart there and I couldn't think of the name.

Yes they unscrew and the bolts are under them
Ok, thanks guys, I was trying to slide them off. LOL. Hope this helps others as well.

I looked into my workshop manual and it said procedure is the same for previous model. Guess I need an Evo VII manual as well

MODS you can lock this thread
Old Feb 15, 2009, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Twist off the rubber screws and use dental flost to brake loose the tape. careful not to pull to hard and take off the paint..
Old Feb 15, 2009, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Got it /\ thanks
Old Feb 15, 2009, 04:00 PM

NO DONT DO IT!!! lol i just dont like the looks of the wingless evo's
Old Feb 15, 2009, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by coolkid52
NO DONT DO IT!!! lol i just dont like the looks of the wingless evo's
Me too.
PLEASE KEEP THE WING ON THE CAR.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 06:23 AM

Just warm it up slowly and than force the wing off...
Old Feb 16, 2009, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wayne99gsr
Me too.
PLEASE KEEP THE WING ON THE CAR.
I understand guys, I think that removing the spoiler is like cutting your ba**s off, but I need to lower the profile of the car. I am just tired of cops turning around and following me I plan to put it back on for the track. I also would like to change to Evo VII tails, black out the intercooler and exhaust. My car is fairly loud and I draw enough attention to myself as is. I need to take it off anyway to re-clear coat it. If I don't like the way it looks it might go back on permanently. Removing the spoiler would also, help lower the number of people that might want to steal it. Who knows, maybe I will put one of the APR wings on it.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

hey maybe they are removing their spoilers to get it re-clear coated just like mine.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
apr gtc spoiler FTW. thats exactly what im doing. hopifully not to much longer. I cant stand wingless evos. mine is only that way till my spoiler is done and shipped. I kept the oem wing on the trunk did not want to disturb it. I just bought a viz cf trunk looks better that way anyways. my wingless evo does not look that bad with the ait racing body kit and jdm rear but still needs a spoiler. hopifully soon

Quick Reply: EVO VIII spoiler remove