Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!
View Poll Results: Which Wheel Do You Think Is The Right One?
BBS SE In The Original Diamond Black
22.14%
BBS SE/MR Powder Coated Black
25.00%
Rota DPT
28.57%
Rota SVN
14.29%
I Got Another Idea, Posted Below
10.00%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Which Wheel, Help Me Pick!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2009, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CULVIIIER
Please refrain from speaking when you know nothing of the subject you are trying to explain. The post above is an epic fail on your part sir.

I have owned everything from $4K HRE wheels on my E46 M3 to $400 Rotas on my old Hondas. I beat the living S**T out of them equally and never had an "issue" like these "people" you overheard on the "internet"

I must say for the price you can not beat Rotas. Is a Volk or Advan going to look slightly better or maybe be a tad lighter is some cases? Sure. But I know one thing that is going to be lighter as well, my wallet. No thanks!

Do what makes you happy, don't listen to some nerdy little JDM kid from the West Coast that is spending Mommy and Daddies money on some 3k Volks.
I'd like to start out by stating for the record that I'm NOT a nerdy little JDM kid from the West Coast that is spending mommy and daddy's money. That said, it's not just that the Volks/Advans are lighter, stronger, made waaaay better, and are no doubt way better looking. There is also a certain bling factor associated. Admittedly we all cater to this factor in some respect. Why? To garnish respect from our peers. Look at the wing on our car. Everyone wants to check out the car with the $2500 Advans but watch what happens when they find out they are fake. I'm just saying...everyone does it and likes a little bling factor even if they don't admit it.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hikaru
I'd like to start out by stating for the record that I'm NOT a nerdy little JDM kid from the West Coast that is spending mommy and daddy's money. That said, it's not just that the Volks/Advans are lighter, stronger, made waaaay better, and are no doubt way better looking. There is also a certain bling factor associated. Admittedly we all cater to this factor in some respect. Why? To garnish respect from our peers. Look at the wing on our car. Everyone wants to check out the car with the $2500 Advans but watch what happens when they find out they are fake. I'm just saying...everyone does it and likes a little bling factor even if they don't admit it.
LOL, I agree w/ Hikaru... Dont hate because some people can afford the Real JDM wowness..!!! Rotas are fake and no matter how much you pump them up, they will still be nice looking fakes, the equivalent to a lancer not being an evo... If you want to hate on rich kids for buying classy, authentic, functional wheels; then you sir "CULVIIIER" are the rice king..... Time for you to tend your paddie!!
Old Mar 4, 2009, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by borievoinitialD
LOL, I agree w/ Hikaru... Dont hate because some people can afford the Real JDM wowness..!!! Rotas are fake and no matter how much you pump them up, they will still be nice looking fakes, the equivalent to a lancer not being an evo... If you want to hate on rich kids for buying classy, authentic, functional wheels; then you sir "CULVIIIER" are the rice king..... Time for you to tend your paddie!!
I don't see anything wrong w/spending less on getting Rota's & spending more on making the car itself faster instead, especially if you're on a budget.
I always loved the SSR Professors but I'd settle for the fake Rota D2's (18x9 +30):

And, I could always throw these decals on em before the rich kids start hating on me.

Last edited by pekpekbuster; Mar 6, 2009 at 05:56 AM.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
didn't someone post a picture of rotas that the spokes twisted into a cool swirl look???? and u can powder coat BBS's using a low temp powder coat from what i recall

also aren't Rotas heavy? which means more unsprung mass and = performance loss

Last edited by Skylineracer; Mar 4, 2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Skylineracer
didn't someone post a picture of rotas that the spokes twisted into a cool swirl look???? and u can powder coat BBS's using a low temp powder coat from what i recall

also aren't Rotas heavy? which means more unsprung mass and = performance loss
That was from someone installing rims w/the wrong offset on their car. the original thread showed the marks where the inside of the spokes were making contact with the the caliper, causing the spokes to twist.

BTW, 18x9 Rota SVN's weigh 20lbs. Volk RE30's weight 2.9lbs less but for more than 3X more $$.
...and I don't feel any difference in performance from when I had my stock rims on, & now with my 18x9 Rota Boosts.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...thread-22.html

Last edited by pekpekbuster; Mar 4, 2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Two words that don't go together are Evo and budget LOL! The difference between the Rota and Volk wheels for those who race is the strength and not the weight. I have seen Rota wheels grenade at the track (which is why no one races with them or very few do). On the street its a different story, although potholes and weak rims don't mix too well either. Since the wheels are such an important part of the overall image, appearance and perception of the vehicle, and has a huge impact to the eye, it doesn't make sense to some people why others would skimp on the wheel budget. IMHO spend good money on wheels/tires and budget less for other parts. Instead of a $750 HKS exhaust spend $400 on a Megan (hell, you only see the muffler tip anyway). Don't drop $700 on Defi link gauges, spend half that on autometer. Or run a MBC instead of the $400 Apexi joint. Just my $.02
Old Mar 4, 2009, 10:31 PM
Account Disabled

Here is my old sti w/ Rota svn's 18x8.5 Sport royal bronze
Rims looked great when clean
But rims did chip very easily

Heres just an example on how they look.

I like them
Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:06 PM
Evolving Member

How about a compromise? Why not buy 2ND HAND original JDM aftermarket wheels such as volk work advan etc? That's what I did. Good luck bro
Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:28 PM
Account Disabled

Because the main reason most people dont

($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)
Old Mar 5, 2009, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Eyes
How about a compromise? Why not buy 2ND HAND original JDM aftermarket wheels such as volk work advan etc? That's what I did. Good luck bro
It's really not a bad idea. Most people that can afford these wheels brand new take really good care of them...
Old Mar 5, 2009, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dpt
Old Mar 5, 2009, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

Rota SVN's in bronze on WW FTW!!!!!!!!!

that is what i am planning on doing. drop coils and 17x9

STevo
Old Mar 8, 2009, 04:50 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

So much hater-aid and misinformation in here I HAD to go out and order a set of the DPT's (out of spite for the ignorant) to see for myself! I'd already went ahead and researched all of these Rota "failures" a while back and found 99% of them to be anywhere from quadruple tenth hand "I saw it on the interweb once", to people who made a ham fisted error, curbing the wheel, then BOLD FACE lying about what happen (alleged to be the case with one of the most popularized Subie pics).

Seems that there are actually only a few "real" Rota breakages of which were linked to a bad batch a while back... and of course the lier or two who slid over curbs (one rolling the car) which would break or bend the hell out of any wheel. The only real truth in poor Rota quality I could find was the paint. Seems they have not used the best processes in the past. Hope they are doing something about it.

Last edited by Zeus; Mar 8, 2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Enkei NT03+M
Great looking, classic wheel.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

Definitely the BBS SE wheels

^one of the members ride on here.

Quick Reply: Which Wheel, Help Me Pick!