Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!
View Poll Results: JDM Rear Bumper VS APR CF Rear Diffuser
JDM Rear Bumper
68.71%
APR CF Rear Diffuser
31.29%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

JDM Rear Bumper vs APR CF Rear Diffuser

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2009, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it really worth modifying though? or better just not to have it?
Old Mar 29, 2009, 07:43 PM
lem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jdm> but like some people im worried about insurance denying a claim if they find out there was no crash beam or it was modified. i think it's not worth it, what if your car is totalled (knock on wood) and they deny your claim.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 07:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RevMoto
saying you didn't want to be re-classed for auto-x means you didn't realize you could modify your stock crash beam. Your argument doesn't justify adding on to an ugly bumper.
Again, I'm not trying to start anything here, just defend my position and clarify things for the OP. As far as classification goes, I interpreted the rules as such that I could not modify my rear crash beam. Now I'm new to AutoX and could very well be wrong, but that's the conclusion that I came to based upon the excerpt below:

Originally Posted by 2008 SCCA National Solo Rules pg.84
The updated/backdated part or the part to which it is to be attached may not be altered, modified, machined or
otherwise changed to facilitate the updating/backdating allowance.
The above quote pertains to the exchange of OEM equipment across model years. Again, I'm new to AutoX so I could be completely wrong . That's just how I read it.

As far as the ugly bumper goes, I say to each his own. This is a rather subjective sub-forum afterall

-Alex@ECS
Old Mar 29, 2009, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ECS Performance
Again, I'm not trying to start anything here, just defend my position and clarify things for the OP. As far as classification goes, I interpreted the rules as such that I could not modify my rear crash beam. Now I'm new to AutoX and could very well be wrong, but that's the conclusion that I came to based upon the excerpt below:

The above quote pertains to the exchange of OEM equipment across model years. Again, I'm new to AutoX so I could be completely wrong . That's just how I read it.

As far as the ugly bumper goes, I say to each his own. This is a rather subjective sub-forum afterall

-Alex@ECS
The definition of modify is a little different from what their rules are then to what needs to be done for the jdm rear. That pertains to people who hack up the crash beam to fit products which render the design as flawed to factory standards. A modified crash beam for the jdm rear is just shortening the brackets in the back but still hold true to its original function. The SCCA nor your insurance could tell the difference.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 07:55 PM
Former Sponsor

The definition of modify is a little different from what their rules are then to what needs to be done for the jdm rear. That pertains to people who hack up the crash beam to fit products which render the design as flawed to factory standards. A modified crash beam for the jdm rear is just shortening the brackets in the back but still hold true to its original function. The SCCA nor your insurance could tell the difference.
While that makes sense, I'd have more piece of mind knowing that I'm playing by the rules. Would somebody protest me for a JDM rear knowing that I had to modify my crash beam? Most likely not, but it's definitely a possibility. It's like Golf. Sure I could take away a shot or two when adding up the score but it just wouldn't be the same.

Back on-topic!
Old Mar 29, 2009, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ fight fight fight... lol!! who cares about rules.... JDM ftw!!
Old Mar 29, 2009, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ECS Performance
While that makes sense, I'd have more piece of mind knowing that I'm playing by the rules. Would somebody protest me for a JDM rear knowing that I had to modify my crash beam? Most likely not, but it's definitely a possibility. It's like Golf. Sure I could take away a shot or two when adding up the score but it just wouldn't be the same.

Back on-topic!
You wouldn't get into trouble unless you told them it is modified. The only people who would know it was modified are the one's who built the piece or knows it wouldn't affect its purpose. This is on topic because it might be a deciding factor for his decision.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 08:29 PM
Former Sponsor

You wouldn't get into trouble unless you told them it is modified. The only people who would know it was modified are the one's who built the piece or knows it wouldn't affect its purpose. This is on topic because it might be a deciding factor for his decision.
If it's the deciding factor then I will respond. You wouldn't have to tell them that it's modified for them to know. Most competitive Evo AutoXers know that the JDM rear doesn't fit without modification or removal of the crash beam. This very topic has been discussed in the 2009 BSP thread over in the Motorsports section of this forum. Heck after reading through all the rules I think that even my APR is illegal in BSP
Old Mar 29, 2009, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for your guys info. im kinda leaning toward jdm, but if im not worried about insurance claims is it really worth modifying the oem crash beam or just having nothing there?
Old Mar 29, 2009, 08:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dtrackstar
Thanks for your guys info. im kinda leaning toward jdm, but if im not worried about insurance claims is it really worth modifying the oem crash beam or just having nothing there?
It's entirely your call. My guess is that a modified rear crash beam is much better than no crash beam at all (for insurance purposes)
-Alex@ECS
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:52 AM
Evolving Member

Get the JDM rear bumper so one day you can get the Voltex Diffuser.

And keep/modify the crash beam.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 06:36 AM

i am glad you posted pics of the apr, it looks pretty good. You would think the apr diffuser would be a lot cheaper than the jdm rear with diffuser.

I would love to get the jdm rear, but would have to keep or modify the crash beam. I daily drive my car so wouldnt want to take the chance of a parking lot bump or traffic jam bump.

Old Apr 2, 2009, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

When you get rearended with the jdm, good luck with insurance. I bought my APR for 100 bucks used. It was scratched on the bottom. I was able to polish it out and looks brand new and fits perfect. Did I mention that its functional? Everybody has the jdm...
Old Apr 2, 2009, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

jdm rear ftmw
Old Apr 2, 2009, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

I was part of the first group to buy an APR rear diffuser. Then i saw a car in person with the JDM and sold the diffuser right away.

I realized how much better the actual bumper is compared to the US version.

But to each his own, try to see both in person if possible first. If not look at all the pics you can find to decide.

Last edited by Jean; Apr 2, 2009 at 09:08 AM.

Quick Reply: JDM Rear Bumper vs APR CF Rear Diffuser