Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Bra Recommeded

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2003 | 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by jerzepnoy
woooow ... thats a huge *** dragon fly (it looks like one) in front of ur intercooler. i drove to florida in my yellow OZ and it was all bloody and dirty in the front. the funny part was watching em smack into the windshield or hearing em bounce off my hood. kinda nasty with a mesh grill too. its like running into a blender.... bras are pretty nice, same as mud gaurds, their very funtional. but dont keep em on for a long time because when u take it off the color will be different from underneth the bra and the rest of the hood.
No, that was a grasshopper. There were other huge dragonflies stuck under my hood and the hole gap next to my headlights. Behold, huge dragonfly video:

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...ZmQzMXk1NDE%3D
Old Sep 26, 2003 | 12:29 PM

Originally posted by spyderturbo

But...I guess I could get the 3m stuff put on the front of the hood relatively cheap.

Its not that cheap. I got my clear 3M bra installed including the side mirrors at dealer's cost and no tax for $490. They said without the discount it would have cost about $1500. Since I am always on the highway with mine, it was well worth the cost. Plus, you don't have the paint damage, fading difference issues with a traditional bra. Since its clear, most people don't notice it unless I point it out. Then you can see the lines.

Dan
Old Sep 26, 2003 | 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

I bought a bra for my Evo. Bought the car on August 4th, a Monday. That Friday, I drove 900 miles one way to Gulfport, MS. I drove 900 miles back to KY two days later. The following weekend, I drove 1100 miles on way to Norfolk, VA. 3 weeks later, I drove 1100 miles back to KY. On October 2nd, I am driving back to Gulfport, MS. The thing has saved my paint numerous times. It seems like every time I got on the road in VA without it I would get rocks chips all over the place. I guess they are just too lazy to keep the roads maintained or something, oh well...I never have to go back there.

You have to take it off as soon as it gets wet, it says it in the instructions. If you don't I could see it acting like wet sanding and you don't wnat that. Mold could also form along with a bunch of other things that I don't know about. I would recomend a car bra to anyone who is going to be driving on the highway a lot. After all, Mitsu paint is not the best stuff in the world.

Josh
Old Oct 8, 2003 | 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

methoddan: I don't know what 'dealer cost' is, but I'm getting my Clear Bra installed today for $499, including labor (not inc. tax). That includes the hood (from front edge to the air vent.. about 1/3 of it), entire front fascia, side mirrors, and a couple tringles of material at the leading edge of the front fenders.
Old Oct 8, 2003 | 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

I'm looking into getting one for the winter only also. But lets say I have to park in a parking lot for a while, and it snows on my car. Would that get it "wet" enough for me to have to take it off?
Old Oct 8, 2003 | 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by SilverEvo8owner
I'm looking into getting one for the winter only also. But lets say I have to park in a parking lot for a while, and it snows on my car. Would that get it "wet" enough for me to have to take it off?
I would say it would get wet enough, but just use discretion. The wetness has to do with mildew buildup, and also while driving, it acts like wet-sanding the car when the wind presses it against the hood/bumper.

Josh
Old Oct 8, 2003 | 04:02 PM

Originally posted by methoddan

Its not that cheap. I got my clear 3M bra installed including the side mirrors at dealer's cost and no tax for $490. They said without the discount it would have cost about $1500. Since I am always on the highway with mine, it was well worth the cost. Plus, you don't have the paint damage, fading difference issues with a traditional bra. Since its clear, most people don't notice it unless I point it out. Then you can see the lines.

Dan
I agree about the 3M bra. Its pretty awesome, works really well. A good investment if you're doing alot of highway driving. I highly recommend it - its a great alternative to the normal bras you see cause you cant even tell its on. I got mine put on the front including the headlights lights and side mirrors for about $400. Its been workin great.
Old Oct 8, 2003 | 08:41 PM

hmm...i'v heard da bra does u good if u drive alot...
Old Oct 9, 2003 | 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

What happens when the 3M gets a rock chip? I've never had or seen it so I'm curious if the chip shows and what the options to repair it are. I know if it chipped the 3M it would have chipped the paint but I'm curious what marks the 3M shows and what the repair options are.
Old Oct 9, 2003 | 04:55 PM

Originally posted by wmcorcor
What happens when the 3M gets a rock chip? I've never had or seen it so I'm curious if the chip shows and what the options to repair it are. I know if it chipped the 3M it would have chipped the paint but I'm curious what marks the 3M shows and what the repair options are.
There is no way to repair the 3M plastic film that I am aware of. You have to replace the entire section. I have a small tear, not a rock chip, in mine. To replace that section would cost about $100, so I am living with it for now. Granted it is the biggest section that covers the hood. It really isn't that noticable anyway.

Dan
Old Oct 27, 2003 | 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by 90GSX-03EVO

I would say it would get wet enough, but just use discretion. The wetness has to do with mildew buildup, and also while driving, it acts like wet-sanding the car when the wind presses it against the hood/bumper.

Josh
In this scenario, wouldn't you be dry sanding when dry? I think the logic in removing it when wet is to prevent mold/mildew and paint discoloration. For instance if you are on a road trip, and it starts raining, I don't think your going to pull over and remove your bra, since the stones don't care if it is wet. Now once you stop you'll probably want to remove it.

So those of you that have them, are they washable? I would be most concerned about all the edges that are likely areas of accumulation.
Old Oct 27, 2003 | 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

I think it looks good..
Old Oct 27, 2003 | 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Where do you guys drive? I hardly get any dirt on the front of my car. Maybe a bug or speck here and there, but nothing some detailer can't get off. From the looks of that red evo with the bra on it, looks like it was driven through a construction site.
Old Oct 27, 2003 | 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

its technically called 3M Paint Protectant if thats the stuff you guys are talking about. but after i get my car painted, im getting it too, front bumper, front quarter panels, entire hood and mirrors, 500 including labor.

its great stuff, its totally invisable, doesnt affect paint properties and it doesnt yellow, and protects really really well. a really good investment.
Old Oct 27, 2003 | 12:36 PM
Evolved Member
Veteran: Army

that kind of sucks taking it off when wet... There goes that option for the winter when the crazy salterz are out