Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Carbon Fiber Roof Install (AMS's Product on STM's EB VIII Ricer)

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2009, 11:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pskelly
Now, after doing this is there any loss in rigidity? Is it pretty much required to put a cage in after this mod or is it just as safe as stock(the roof I mean). I would love to do this because I am a weight saving ***** but I don't want to cage my car.

Anything not coming from a Mitsubishi factory I'm going to be skeptical about, especially when it literally comes to the roof over your head, but contrasting the two, I'm just looking at this thin piece of painted metal-with a big hole where a heavy-*** piece of glass goes.. and how unsafe that looks sitting there on the floor!

If I was putting this piece on my daily driver, I can't say that I would be as worried... but knowing this car may see 190+mph someday... little scary. I'll take a roll cage, thanks.

-Shawna
Old May 20, 2009, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that thing looks amazing!! i wish i could have one.
Old May 20, 2009, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

dzikumr9, I am truely amazed that you quoted that entire post to simply say, "Looks good"

Incredible.

To STM, looks great, I cant wait to see what this car does. Keep it up!
Old May 21, 2009, 01:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4g63girl
...The roof is not super glossy, and I think I will use a sealant that isn't super reflective on it to help tone it down, then find out what can use on the dry carbon hood and trunk to help shine it up and it should all come out looking even.

The difference between the carbon lip and the dry carbon hood is drastic... But it doesn't bother me too much because of the shiny blue bumper. It's all going to even out in the end I think. If not, and it looks retarded... MAYBE we'll get a IX bumper to remove the cf lip... But i haven't suggested that to Emery quite yet.

-Shawna
Ah, it looks like a wet trunk lid in the pictures from the link in your sig. Did you get a new one since then? Can you PM me info on price/distributor? I loves me some dry carbon!
Old May 21, 2009, 01:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This car is going to be awesome this year I did one of these roofs on a friends Track car last year about this time It was fun and took some time to get all those damn spot welds drilled out But it was worth it Well done and Hope to see more of this car soon
Old May 21, 2009, 08:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yahu
Ah, it looks like a wet trunk lid in the pictures from the link in your sig. Did you get a new one since then? Can you PM me info on price/distributor? I loves me some dry carbon!
Yes, we sold the shiny carbon trunk pictured in the gallery (I need to update our new build... right after I get Seibon's parts on our website!)

They're about $1500 shipped. Both the X and VIII-IX.
Old May 21, 2009, 08:30 AM

looking good!
Old May 21, 2009, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info on the CF! PM returned!
Old May 21, 2009, 04:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The car looks GREAT guys!!!! Your car has always looks as good as it has performed Emery. That roof took a HUGE chunk of weight off the car.

To answer some questions about the roof and safety concerns. Believe it or not the AMS carbon fiber roof is actually stronger than the factory piece. It actually enhances the structural integrity of the car. Rear Carbon fiber is a VERY strong material. Most CF parts sold are merely a fiberglass piece with a thin layer of carbon layed over it. This is 100% carbon fiber. We contracted a composite race company to make these for us a couple of years ago for our Time attack car. We actually never thought about selling them as we didn't think anyone would buy them. Now they are becoming staple for any EVO race car. So much so that I just had to authorize them to charge us for making another mold (big bucks) as we wore out the last one lol.

So don't worry about putting this on your street car or race car. Shes a tough cookie

Keep up the great work STM!!! We always feel good seeing our parts going on your cars as we know they will be put to good use and pushed to their limits

Eric
Old May 21, 2009, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sansone
dzikumr9, I am truely amazed that you quoted that entire post to simply say, "Looks good"

Incredible.

To STM, looks great, I cant wait to see what this car does. Keep it up!

HAha
Old May 21, 2009, 06:38 PM

damn impressive but you know they make spot weld drill bits that only drill through one panel
Old May 21, 2009, 07:00 PM

looks like a lot of hard work. great job with it i know i wouldnt want to cut up an evo roof
Old May 21, 2009, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Nice, reminds me of how mine got installed, painful at first, but what a sight when finished.
Old May 21, 2009, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks good whats the diiference in weight?
Old May 21, 2009, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

looking good..i want one soo bad..

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Roof Install (AMS's Product on STM's EB VIII Ricer)