Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Evo IV project eye candy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2010, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice

i like it look clean
Old Nov 1, 2010, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
The original seats were in great shape but too small. I couldn't walk for two days after the drive home from Utah. I think the VIII seats look great in the car. Plus they shave about eight pounds. The inserts had to go obvoiusly. I decided to go with a contrasting insert color that would go well with evo VI, VII and VIII seats. i hope to find some early seats for the car someday. The alcantara for the interior came in today. got one door insert done. the flash makes the material look lighter than it actually is. the head liner is the lighter material with euro look perferations.

Old Nov 1, 2010, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

1-4. Started on the shortblock as well. The block is very low mileage but had a broken ear on it and got it cheap. The bores and deck are in perfect shape for a set of drop in pistons. I wish I could spring for brand new block but this will have to do.
5. bores received quick ball hone. 600grit. dont want to remove much material here. just want to remove the glaze so rings will seat nicely. about 5 seconds per bore is all thats needed.
6. I did a quick smoothing on the oil gallery from the pump. Rounded off that nasty corner. Should give a percent better flow.
7. 2000psi blast of water gets the galleys clear of debrees. The bores honed and then cleaned with comet. Wash quickly followed by blow dry/WD40 to keep from rusting.
8. Nitrided cranks on the shelf. untreated cranks need to be wrapped to fend off rust.
9. nasty byproduct of crank sitting on the shelf. BUGS. this can ruin your day if not cleaned correctly.
10. my special tool I made to clean internals of used crank before use. no need to drill bearing out and tap oilways. this works well to clean the hard to get to oil wells.
11. journals receive light hand polish with 1000 to remove any high spots. rods are quick checked with a chopped rod. much faster than using plastic gauge. north and sounth play needs to be same east and west. journal needs to be round. This was a lightly used crank before nitriding. Didnt have any visual trama but its always good to check before use. fresh machined cranks are where you need to do more thorough checks. I stay away from them if at all possible.
12. end play checks in at .004. factory new spec is .002-.004. used wear limit is .009. normally i would shim thrust bearing to restore clearance to .002. but this block has one peice thrust bearings so I dont have that option. (evo 4 block)

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Nov 1, 2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am so happy for you man and the car Its getting the Love it deserves Keep me updated too.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Jerry did you say BUGS were in your journals?

I had a neon block break the same way. I ended up throwing it away. Clutch let go, took out the bellhousing and the transmission... took a piece of the block too.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

WOW ! so stoked for this lil evo ! I remember falling asleep in the back of it driving around one night, its comfy in the back too
Old Nov 16, 2010, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
Jerry did you say BUGS were in your journals?

I had a neon block break the same way. I ended up throwing it away. Clutch let go, took out the bellhousing and the transmission... took a piece of the block too.
yeah some kind of bug makes his home in the oil passages. the blockage is sand. thats why I made the right angle nozzle to spray into the areas you normally cant get to with a brush. the best plan is of course to drill out the plugs and tap them so you can clean all of them with a brush.

I think the weld will hold. I had that whole corner cherry red when welding the opposite side. Block was too nice to toss. pretty common on the early 4g63 to snap the front ear off. people forget the rear tranny bolt which only leaves three bolts holding the tranny on. with a stiiff pressure plate it flexes and snaps either block or tranny. have welded a few in the past and they held up okay.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 04:56 PM

Your welding is looking sweet.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Jerry is that a 1g under that car cover?

You need a real garage.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 07:01 PM

im jealous....
Old Nov 18, 2010, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Got the head liner done last night. Came out sweet. Still a little foggy on my door insert choice. I wish I would have went with a darker charcoal shade. but I dont want to spend another 100 for material. Also picked up some TE37s. They are about 9oz heavier than the weds. But I think they will look better. One of the te37s is bent pretty bad. have to send it off to be straightened. I never really cared for the charcoal weds. I think they look worlds better in the silver and neon green for that matter. But I didnt have a choice when purchased. They were on close out. So if I still with the weds they will be coated silver.

Once I finish the interior i can move onto the fun stuff. The mechanical upgrades.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Nov 18, 2010 at 06:57 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
Jerry is that a 1g under that car cover?

You need a real garage.
thats my signature car. not getting much love lately.

Old Nov 18, 2010, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

Cant wait to see how this turns out! Lookin good man!
Old Nov 18, 2010, 09:38 AM

Awesome build man. Keep it up.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:51 AM

good ish

Quick Reply: Evo IV project eye candy