Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Critique My Photography

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2010 | 06:09 AM

i think the car and the pics look great..
Old Feb 9, 2010 | 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Awsome rolling shots good job
Old Feb 9, 2010 | 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

looks cool...you need some blacked out/jdm headlights!!!
Old Feb 9, 2010 | 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

perfection
Old Feb 9, 2010 | 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evokid8
the iso was set at 200 f/16 shutter speed at 50. thats some info i haven't tried yet, thanks man.
I would cut back on the F stop unless you have the necessary amount of light to support it. There's nothing wrong with shooting F/16 since everything will be in focus, but if you don't have much light the photo won't work out. Simple solution is to drop the F stop down. All you have to do with rolling shots is keep the camera still and focus on the car. The shutter speed will do all the work.

-Jalal
Old Feb 9, 2010 | 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

wallpaper status
Old Feb 9, 2010 | 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Theirs many options out there for removing noise from grainy pics.. Check out the difference on the windshield & front fender

I did this in 5 mins with a photoshop plug-in called topaz labs (they have free trials on their website)

Old Feb 9, 2010 | 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

^^

Except that you completely destroyed all detail in the picture. I would not recommend doing that.
Old Feb 9, 2010 | 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

How come everyone on this forum has some BS to say I said I did it in 5 mins
bringing the Saturation down actually made the detail your talking about kinda fade, not the de-noise^

The de-noised picture is actually sharper see the nice scratch on the bumper ?

Last edited by big block ix; Feb 9, 2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2010 | 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

The first and last are pure win.
Old Feb 10, 2010 | 07:52 AM

You're on the right track. You've set your 7D ISO at 200, you've used manual mode with a slow shutter speed of 1/30 to 1/40, aperture is small to keep most of the car in focus, but your pictures are quite noisy and grainy.

Rolling shots at that speed will naturally induce noise into the picture with the movement, but I think you're post processing in CS4 is also accentuating the noise. I noticed you used spot metering, did you meter off the wrong area and had to push the exposure compensation by a bit in PS? I would say you would've increased the clarity and saturation so that accentuates the noise too. Perhaps you set an additional layer for the car itself and increased the brightness for it pushing the noise too. Posting the picture at high resolution like that and allowing pixel peeping doesn't help the issue of seeing so much grain. A slightly faster shutter speed of 1/50 to even 1/80 would have reduced motion blur and reduced the grain in the picture.

Composition wise the 2nd one does nothing for me, but I like the 3rd and 5th shot...well 5th shot the most. I like the colour saturation - even though it may have increased the noise.

Which lens were you using Canon EF17-40 f4L?
Old Feb 10, 2010 | 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by big block ix
How come everyone on this forum has some BS to say I said I did it in 5 mins
bringing the Saturation down actually made the detail your talking about kinda fade, not the de-noise^

The de-noised picture is actually sharper see the nice scratch on the bumper ?

I do photography on a regular basis. I know what I'm talking about.
1.) Look at the open vent on the hoods. The top one has detail (mesh). The bottom one is completely smoothed out and look like there is a plastic insert (or not open).
2.) Look at the headlights. Look at all the fine lines that are present in the top version. Then compare it to your version. All the fine lines are gone/smoothed out.
3.) Look at the hood / fender line on the driver side towards the back of the picture. The top one is completely defined all the way from front to back. The bottom picture has un-nature jagged lines in it which usually occurs when you try to sharpen a picture that went through a noise reduction program. This is the same for outer lips of the wheel, mesh in front of the intercooler.

Sharpening was applied after the noise reduction to bring back some of the lost detail. I use Neat Image on some photos and yes it takes literally 10 secs to obtain a noise sample and run the noise reduction program.
Old Feb 10, 2010 | 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Redlined
You're on the right track. You've set your 7D ISO at 200, you've used manual mode with a slow shutter speed of 1/30 to 1/40, aperture is small to keep most of the car in focus, but your pictures are quite noisy and grainy.

Rolling shots at that speed will naturally induce noise into the picture with the movement, but I think you're post processing in CS4 is also accentuating the noise. I noticed you used spot metering, did you meter off the wrong area and had to push the exposure compensation by a bit in PS? I would say you would've increased the clarity and saturation so that accentuates the noise too. Perhaps you set an additional layer for the car itself and increased the brightness for it pushing the noise too. Posting the picture at high resolution like that and allowing pixel peeping doesn't help the issue of seeing so much grain. A slightly faster shutter speed of 1/50 to even 1/80 would have reduced motion blur and reduced the grain in the picture.

Composition wise the 2nd one does nothing for me, but I like the 3rd and 5th shot...well 5th shot the most. I like the colour saturation - even though it may have increased the noise.

Which lens were you using Canon EF17-40 f4L?
all correct besides the layering.
Old Feb 10, 2010 | 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Neat Image?
Old Feb 10, 2010 | 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evokid8
Neat Image?
It's a great noise reduction software.
http://www.neatimage.com/

Quick Reply: Critique My Photography