Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Official (or not) Forward Facing turbo kit thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL. The camera was a tripod so as the car is accelerating you see it lifting....I thought that shot was kinda cool.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah great shot for sure. Cool angle that you don't always see.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PatricksEvilEvo
Smurf it sounds to me like you need a different blow off valve, that thing is surging.
Which video did you hear that in?

That car is gone now. I'm probably going to be running a tial in the next car. Maybe a Synapse. Not sure which one is the better.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

You guys with the dump tubes out of the vent area, what happens when it rains? It doesn't leak down into the turbo?

-Acree
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this is what happens

Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Which video did you hear that in?

That car is gone now. I'm probably going to be running a tial in the next car. Maybe a Synapse. Not sure which one is the better.
U got rid of ur car?
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its in heaven
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jmcmill3
U got rid of ur car?
Originally Posted by BOOSTINAT30PSI
its in heaven
What Boostin said! I'm waiting for my new Evo to get finished before I let the cat out of the bag but suffice it to say it went in "SPECTACULAR" fashion
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

I must have missed something, what happened to your Evo Smurf? Guessing an accident since "it's in heaven" details?
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by patricksevilevo
i must have missed something, what happened to your evo smurf? Guessing an accident since "it's in heaven" details?
+1
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

LOL....You didn't miss anything. I've dropped enough hints I suppose. Screw it.

It caught on fire and burned up. I have pics and a video of it because all I could do is watch as it burned up as I was waiting for the fire dept. to come.

I'll tell you what, there is nothing more sobering then watching your 50k investment burn slowly in front of you.

Thats the basic gist of it. I was done with cars (The Evo in particular) but I have kinda gone through a range of emotions and ideas and parts that I thought were good, weren't. SO that has kinda led me down the path I'm going down right now.

I hate build threads that take for ever so I didn't want to start a new one until it was almost completed...... which also meant I didn't want to divulge too many details on what happened to the blue car (since its kinda infamous on this site) but I figured i had to say something at this point.

The ironic thing was I was going to simplify my gauge setup before this happened. I just finished rebuilding the trans (yet again) and I rebuilding a brand new QM 8-Leg due to improper install and a few weeks later the gauge setup I had a previous shop do for me (Since I figured I wouldn't do a good enough job, go figure) is what caused the fire.

It started under the dash followed the wiring into the engine bay and went back into the interior. When I post the pics you will understand what I mean by the car caught fire. Most people do a holy $#!t double take when they see the pictures and the video.

New car should be almost done by the end of November hopefully. When its close I will post a thread with a full accounting of what happened.

If there is an award for perseverance I think I should win. LOL.

Last edited by SmurfZilla; Oct 14, 2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

WOW...I'm truly sorry to hear that I can only imagine what it would be like to stand there watching it all burn. I probably would have been crying stomping my feet freaking out like a school girl ditched at the prom. At least you're back with another one in good spirits, can't wait to see the new project
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

damn Smurf... sorry to hear that.. thanks for being a sport and lettin people in. its good info to kno cuz could help someone attempt to prevent similar circumstances with their own cars.. sh.. im def going to rethink my battery relocation now... i knew the potential for a short, but fig it would be "ok" but after hearing this, im going to fix it asap
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah the Spec-Ops guys said they weren't very "high" on my terminal wiring either.

It was def. something electrical with gauges.....

And Patrick I'm going to dub the video but I was cursing like a sailor on the vid. i'm kinda embarrassed when I listen back to it now but I'm sure no one would fault me.

On gauge setups......KISS. That needs to be the philosophy. I don't think my battery relocation was the issue although that was halfassed as well.

I'm going to be doing a Zeitronix LED readout setup similar to the dude that posted his and remove the clock.

This car will be a little more subtle. Not sure what the power is going to be but it needs to be whatever will start and run reliably for a while because I have other things to do and this car $#!t is dragging me down. I just want a car that will be fun and reliable.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry to hear about the car Smurf. I have been in that same spot and I know how terrible it can be.

On a positive note... I am hoping that my JDL FF6262 will be done within the next couple of weeks. Once its all done I'll be sure to add some pictures!

Quick Reply: Official (or not) Forward Facing turbo kit thread