Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Volks or Rotas (replicas)?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2010, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volks are great wheels, but for the price rotas look great. I had volks before and drove my car 3 miles on a flat tire (should not have) and the rim did not even bend 1 bit. I'm sure most wheels would have bent in that case. Well worth the money to me.
Old May 18, 2010, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since you're asking the question, then you should get Rotas.

It's all about personal preference, honestly.
Old May 18, 2010, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
I've cracked a volk TE37, one friend cracked an Advan RG, and another cracked a Racing Hart CP-035.

Just because you pay out the *** doesn't mean they are indestructible. Quite to the contrary actually, it seems most of the high end wheels bend and crack easier on a street car then their replica counterpart.

Yes, the material is stronger and the manufacturing process is better, but the wheel is also made lighter and thinner everywhere, which in the end, makes them seemingly no stronger.

If you aren't after chasing pounds and just want the look, I see no reason to not get replicas unless you are one of the snob types that buys something just for the name.

If I had the money, I'd buy the real thing for weight, but I can think of a lot of other places the money would be better spent.
If you're dropping your car off of a mountain, then yes. I've rolled a car with Advans and have witnessed them slammed into a curb at 50 mph without cracking.
Old May 18, 2010, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
I've cracked a volk TE37, one friend cracked an Advan RG, and another cracked a Racing Hart CP-035.

Just because you pay out the *** doesn't mean they are indestructible. Quite to the contrary actually, it seems most of the high end wheels bend and crack easier on a street car then their replica counterpart.

Yes, the material is stronger and the manufacturing process is better, but the wheel is also made lighter and thinner everywhere, which in the end, makes them seemingly no stronger.

If you aren't after chasing pounds and just want the look, I see no reason to not get replicas unless you are one of the snob types that buys something just for the name.

If I had the money, I'd buy the real thing for weight, but I can think of a lot of other places the money would be better spent.
Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enginebay anyone
Old May 19, 2010, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

I say get the Rotas, I liked mine and they looked good. You will have money left over and you could get some bolt ons or a tune. You could get top name brand rims at a later time when you have the money.
Old May 19, 2010, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Boostfiend
If you're dropping your car off of a mountain, then yes. I've rolled a car with Advans and have witnessed them slammed into a curb at 50 mph without cracking.
I was in my friends car when his Advan cracked, I've witnessed them crack. Just hit a pothole on a road trip to Vegas, nothing crazy.

The crack in my volk was from a 2" diameter rock that I hit when I went to pass somebody going up a mountain, so I guess that is what you would call "dropping it off the mountain?"

They are not indestructible like people want to say they are. They still bend and crack fairly easily. The only real difference is since they are forged, they tend to bend instead of crack.
Old May 19, 2010, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
I have a set of Volk RE30s on my S2000. I hit this NASTY patch of road which was like running over 4 parking stops 3"+ tall each. It bottomed out the suspension, knocked out the camber, shift the subframe so that the caster is out of whack. But the Volks are still completely true.

A relatively lightweight cast wheel would have cracked for sure. A solidly designed cast wheel like our stock Evo Enkeis would probably have been fine, but they also weigh a lot more. One thing about forged vs cast, forged tend to bend so that you can still drive home. Cast will typically crack which usually means the tire will debead and not hold air.

I personally have no experience with Rotas nor any knowledge about them really. But in general, an overly light cast wheel is asking for trouble. They should not be too close of a replica to Volks, i.e., the Rotas should have beefier spokes. IF the Rotas have the same size spokes, but are cast vs the Volks forged, well, I don't think I need to tell you which is stronger.

If you live in a place with good roads, and don't track the car, the Rotas are certainly fine based on what everyone else says.
Old May 19, 2010, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Volk Racing for me
Old May 19, 2010, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You realize Advan's are a cast wheel right? Volks are forged, advans and racing harts from what I know are both cast wheels. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I would never pay forged price to put cast wheels on my car (older advan wheels). I believe the newer models are forged.
Old May 19, 2010, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

i definitely cant afford VOLKs so im pretty sure i'll be getting ROTAs but it be so nice to get JDM wheels but what can we do? were not all rich right? well thanx for the feedback guys...
Old May 19, 2010, 10:00 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
...deleted.
Old May 19, 2010, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spdracerut
I have a set of Volk RE30s on my S2000. I hit this NASTY patch of road which was like running over 4 parking stops 3"+ tall each. It bottomed out the suspension, knocked out the camber, shift the subframe so that the caster is out of whack. But the Volks are still completely true.

A relatively lightweight cast wheel would have cracked for sure. A solidly designed cast wheel like our stock Evo Enkeis would probably have been fine, but they also weigh a lot more. One thing about forged vs cast, forged tend to bend so that you can still drive home. Cast will typically crack which usually means the tire will debead and not hold air.

I personally have no experience with Rotas nor any knowledge about them really. But in general, an overly light cast wheel is asking for trouble. They should not be too close of a replica to Volks, i.e., the Rotas should have beefier spokes. IF the Rotas have the same size spokes, but are cast vs the Volks forged, well, I don't think I need to tell you which is stronger.

If you live in a place with good roads, and don't track the car, the Rotas are certainly fine based on what everyone else says.

You can track your car just fine with rota many have done it on a regular basis with no issues. evodave is a perfect example
Old May 19, 2010, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

Rotas... well, or an alternative...

i know, i know...

Because I dig them... and want to see someone else throw these on their car first... be my guinea pig (and take a couple photos while you are at it, so I could see what they look like/how they fit)

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...se-wheels.html

Sorry for trying to jack your thread.

Last edited by JScocchio; May 19, 2010 at 10:34 AM. Reason: update
Old May 19, 2010, 10:47 AM

I'm guessing you're a guy and if so im assuming, just like the rest of us, u like a nice set of ****, if so would you rather fake ones or real ones? base your wheel decision off that ;-)
Old May 19, 2010, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by MR DSM IX
I'm guessing you're a guy and if so im assuming, just like the rest of us, u like a nice set of ****, if so would you rather fake ones or real ones? base your wheel decision off that ;-)
Dude I love fake **** they make the world go round

Quick Reply: Volks or Rotas (replicas)?