Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Kind of spray paint I should get

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me start with Duplicolor is quite possibly the worst spray paint I have every used in my life. It is thin and runny. Rustoleum is ok but I find that the cans will spit from time to time. Krylon is by far the best when it comes to spray pattern and paint uniformity. I have painted MANY car parts with Kryon rusttuff and they have always turned out well. I even used some Krylon clear to redo my wing and it looks like it was sprayed with a gun.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Spray paint wheels is yucky.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

I've used a bunch of different kinds and VHT was probably the best I've used.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

+! I totally forgot to mention the VHT stuff.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

what grit sandpaper? I got my wheels powdercoated and within 6 mos its f***. peeling and s***.

I think I'm gonna go the spray paint route. Did you take off the tires or just tape?

*EDIT* Separate the tire from the wheel is what I meant.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OwnedEvo10
Dupli Color engine enamel is what I used.. ^^ Maybe he doesnt have the money to get them powder coated, it is pretty expensive.. And if you do it right the spray can will look good.. Ive had mine rattle canned for almost a year and when I wash them they look as good as when I painted them. People ask me all the time if they are powder coated and say they look so good then when I say I spray painted them they give me a look.. F**k them people do what makes you happy and dont worry about what other people think. They will look good if you take your time and do it right...
Dont defend your own cheapness here... Spray paint will chip off quickly and also fade faster.

If you cannot afford it, dont half *** it. No reason to make a rice car any ricer.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does Krylon make high temp paint too? I don't think I've seen Krylon high temps before.

I might have to look into VHT. Also, what grits did you guys use for sand paper?

And I'd rather not give my rims to any shop around here. To me, these costed me a lot and I'd rather not get a phone call saying your rims are gone and find them on the shop owner's car the next day. Plus, I want to learn. My first time was painting the calipers. I sanded them down but my mistake was not primering them so on one of the calipers, there's a spot where paint doesn't want to stick. Lesson learned. And the only time it chips is because I can't install my wheels on without hitting them... Another lesson learned.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 05:05 PM

I work in a body shop, and we wouldn't even paint it. POWDER COAT all the way. In my opinion anyways.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 05:25 PM

If you have the money I agree w/ powder coating the rim. If you do not, Rustoleum is the pound for pound best aresol in a can for painting parts that I've used. Even when used beyond recommended temps. I do not condone to do so, but I have used it once before on a thermal car part that exceeds rustoleum temp ratings. It is still holding up fine til this day.

a set of rims I did for my old corolla back in the day - no prep

tires mounted w/ out incident

Last edited by JDMJNKY; Jul 30, 2010 at 05:46 PM.