Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

satellite radio question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2003, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there's an xm set that can go in your car, and in a home unit, it's like a boombox type of thing, that let's the head unit for the car (xm that is) into it, so u can look into that

the only thing i do have against xm is the fact that you have to pay monthly, well... so i've heard, either than that, i'd stick with xm before i go to sirius, just cuz they were the first

and yeah, that tiny magnetic antena = best set up cuz of it's ease
Old Nov 28, 2003, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far paying monthly - that comes with both, so it's not really an issue.

The XM thingy you're talking about that can go in your car/home/boombox is exactly what I'm looking into. Siruius makes the same kinda setup - pretty much the same price.

That being said, the deciding factor would have to be reception/quaility I'd guess...
Old Nov 29, 2003, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

There is an easy way to not make payments for Sirius that I read in 2600 Magazine. It said to order service, then disconnect your box for 6 months. After the 6 months are up, turn it back on and it should work after that for free. Don't know if it works and I don't care to find out. Paying 13$ a month is barely anything considering I can spend that easily on just one meal for myself.
Old Nov 29, 2003, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

I still vote for Sirius after having both... They're supposedly starting to get the Ground-Based Recievers going... What I also found was a HUGE difference in antennas. The semi-permanent mounts pick up signal a ton better.

As for the Sirius offerings - they have a comedy station, weather, and a ton of live sports. They may have an "unsigned" station, but I can't find it here on the chart -- not everything is named logically.
Old Nov 30, 2003, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

They may have an "unsigned" station, but I can't find it here on the chart -- not everything is named logically.
I checked their listings - they do! Dunno how good it is though.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:43 PM

www.colormatchantenna.com

Last edited by paintedantenna; Mar 17, 2005 at 11:47 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 12:05 AM
Evolving Member

Ive been installing for a long time now and seen stalite radio in its infency till now. We just got the directv in at work for cars now. Imagine that, cable tv in your car. Anyway, sorry about the OT but I have had both and I think I prefer XM. It comes in when your in a building or tunnel and I just like the channels better, although Howard Stern will be on Sirius in January of 06 so well see what happens then. Not sure about the costs though as Ive never had to pay
Old Mar 18, 2005, 06:03 AM
Evolving Member

I've had both sirius and XM in my car. Currently with XM. Both the stereo decks I had have an satalite inputs so no FM modulation or tape deck required, direct digital inputs. The antenna I had for sirius I ran thru the stock antenna hole, the antenna I have for XM is the size of a quarter and sits on my front dash, if you didn't know it was there you wouldn't even notice it. Can't say which I like better, I moved the sirius to my g/f's rodeo and they both offer up the same types of music, XM is a little cheaper but they are raising their rates soon. The setup I have in my car I love it, Pioneer deck, XM sat radio, ipod inputs, mp3 capable cd reading, I don't think I've listened to regular radio in months!
Old Mar 18, 2005, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

I've been running XM for over a year now, and gotta say I can't do w/o it now!

I've tried Sirrus too but it's sound was lacking the fuller dynamics of XM, I felt.

To truely apprciate XM, you should get a decent audio setup cuz XM kicks out some serious bass and high fidelity! See below for my SKYFI 1 unit w/ audio RCA linked to my Eclipse HU w/ 8v preamp out....

oh, my mini attena is resting on the roof next the stock antenna - small and effective and hides well...
Attached Thumbnails satellite radio question-audio1.jpg   satellite radio question-audio3.jpg   satellite radio question-audio4.jpg   satellite radio question-audio7.jpg   satellite radio question-audo2.jpg  

Old Mar 20, 2005, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

I am going with Sirus, and any true Howard Stern fan will follow. As HOwad fans know it as aaahh aaahh eehh.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

howard stern is over rated..just my opinion...nothing against ppl liking him