Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

satellite radio question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2003 | 05:16 PM

satellite radio question

does anyone have satellite radio in their evo ? if so, what is your setup, and type/location of your antenna ?
Old Nov 20, 2003 | 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

I don't yet...but I'm looking to get an XM setup soon! I was thinking the 'Skyfi' or whatever since you could use it in your home too with another attachment.
But, after looking it, I found out it needs a tape player for the attachment - that won't work!!
Old Nov 20, 2003 | 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

Go Sirius... Less commercials, better variety. I had XM up until about a week ago.

Run the antenna through the factory hole in the roof. If you look at my profile, you can see how I ran my XM. Still haven't pulled it back yet... My Sirius antenna is magnetic, and I plan to move it between cars. Mounted the tuner under the passenger seat, ran the antenna up the B-Pillar (behind Trim), followed the wire to the dome light... and then back and through the factory hole. Sealed it with clear silicone just to make sure nothing got in. Biggest pain is getting the headliner down.

Good luck - IM or PM me if you want more help.

Also, on The Sirius - I got eh Audiovox PNP-1 with the car and home kits. Recommend getting a separate FM modulator, as it only runs through the car kit at 88.X MHZ, which is taken up by a couple stations here in columbus. Also has a line level output.
Old Nov 20, 2003 | 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

I was thinking XM cause it's $4 cheaper (9 vs 13) and it seemed to have more stations for me - an Unsigned Artists and comedy station!

Does Sirius have those 2 as well??
Old Nov 20, 2003 | 06:08 PM

you can put the antenna on your back dash inside the car mine works fine
Old Nov 21, 2003 | 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone have a Skyfi unit?? Looking for pics if so.
Old Nov 22, 2003 | 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

I was at Best Buy the other night asking about their Delphi XM unit. I was drawn to the commercial. You don't need a cassette player to use the unit. They can run wires using your stock stereo. You have to buy the unit seperate from the car package. Install takes about an hour for them and costs $50.
Old Nov 22, 2003 | 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

They are releasing new technology after the first of the year. I would hold off till then because the recievers and antennas will be signifigantly smaller (or so I am told).
Old Nov 22, 2003 | 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

I know I can install this stuff myself - I've installed many a stereo in my time. I used to be in near competition form, so that's not an issue.

Good news about the stock wiring High_Rev. Did you purchase it then?? Got a pic of the inside??

Thanks Karash - the credit card is urgeing me to wait anyways... Still hot from the last mod!
Old Nov 24, 2003 | 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Went and checked into Sirius for the first time this weekend. It seemed pretty clean and nice.
The store I was at couldn't get XM to work in the store! They kept trying to reposition the attenna to get better reception, but said they were having problems. When I was there, it still didn't work. That makes ya wonder!

I thought of a great place to put the Kenwood one - in the lower 'hole' that it useless. It's be great there. I'm just wanting some pics of someone else's installs!!
Old Nov 25, 2003 | 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Nov 26, 2003 | 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

first off, xm radio is the shizz. loved every minute of it on my road trip to the Poconos. The commercial on XM isn't even that bad. it's only like 10 seconds. Sony makes a very small magnetic antenna that makes the total installation pretty clean. it's about 1"x1" maybe a little larger but not much.

here's what it looks like on my WRX (the antenna)
Attached Thumbnails satellite radio question-xm-antenna.jpg  
Old Nov 28, 2003 | 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the pic! Did you buy a new headunit, or did you buy the convertor kit???

I'm wanting a pic of the converter kit installed. Like the XM Delphi/Skyphi unit (or whatever it's called).

I know a great place to install it - in the lower 'pocket' tray. It's kind of useless for me anyway. If I put anythingy in there, whevever the boost comes on, everything comes flying out!
Old Nov 28, 2003 | 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Another advantage of XM is the fact that they have terrestrial repeaters in major metro areas. Anyone with GPS knows that skyscrapers and other tall buildings can affect satellite reception. To counter this, XM broadcasts a digital radio signal from the grould much like AM/FM so that you can still receive the stations. Sirius does not have terrestrial repeaters. However if you are an NPR junkie (unlike most evom.net members) then Sirius is the only one that carries it. Another thing to note (for both setups) is that if you keep the stock stereo the only way to hook it up without a cassette adapter is through an FM modulator which essentially broadcasts an FM signal into your stereo that you tun in. It works fine but your sound quality will be limited to what FM can provide. If you were going to upgrade your head unit, be sure to get one that has an AUX input, that way you won't face this kind of sound degradation with any kind of satellite/mp3 upgrade that you plan on doing in the future.
Old Nov 28, 2003 | 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Very good points - thanks!

I actually work from home now, so I spend a lot more time in my house than in my car (7000 miles since May). Therefore, I need some sort of home unit, then I'd listen to it all day long!

Quick Reply: satellite radio question