Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

My new HKS turbo

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2010, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wont have results for a couple weeks, as i am waiting for the Cams, speed density kit, and 3 inch intake w/out recirc for SD to come in, then after tuning i probably wont get over to the dyno for a week or so.

This turbo should be alot of fun. very comparable in power capabilities to the BBK and the HTA Green but it spools identical to stock.

I will be running e85 and the car is my daily driver so i will probably keep the torque around 430ish i dont really want to go above that untill i either have a backup car to drive or untill i drop some good rods and pistons in.

The car is still on its tune for my ported 9 turbo on e85 so i have not boosted above 5psi just driving around. but i will say it is super responsive and i does feel just like stock in building slight boost while cruising around town.

more updates soon
Old Nov 13, 2010, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Waiting patiently... i almost bought this turbo along with a red, black, and green... blown 9 turbos FTW lol!!!
Old Nov 13, 2010, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
good choice! subscribed
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wazmunstr
this particular hks looks like a direct bolt-on to the stock mani and what not. fact? what kinda of gains can you expect with all your extra mods as well as this?

this IS a direct bolt on. HKS took 1 of these along with their new step 2 cams & made 360whp on pumpgas @ 23psi of boost as a baseline for it the potential is. this is HKS's answer to the Tomei Arms turbo...
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:17 AM
Account Disabled

These turbos are sick
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

I just found out that GSC is on a 2 week backorder, so i won't get my cams in for a bit.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Looking forward to seeing more results on this turbo.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

We are going to do an initial tune probably on monday with the cams i currently have (Buddy club 264/272) that way i can start boosting again lol ive been driving around in limp mode which gets boring really quick. New boost gauge is on the way,I had to sell my greddy one because it only goes to 2bar.. which was useless even on my ported 9 turbo.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by housedj
this IS a direct bolt on. HKS took 1 of these along with their new step 2 cams & made 360whp on pumpgas @ 23psi of boost as a baseline for it the potential is. this is HKS's answer to the Tomei Arms turbo...
nice! gonna do some more research, this may be the way I'd like to go...
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by housedj
On a Dynojet or Mustang?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:58 PM
Evolving Member

Nice turbo man. Looks like your gonna have some fun with this thing lol
Old Nov 17, 2010, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RockmanX
I see a couple people got this turbo then I see alot of them for sale as well
Where?
Old Nov 17, 2010, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Where?
go to the for sale section now go 8 pages and you will see at least 4 of them for sale at discounted prices
Old Nov 17, 2010, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LGshow19
On a Dynojet or Mustang?

Ivey made 426whp on 93oct @ 26psi
and 479whp @ 33psi on race gas
R/TErnie made 488whp on e85

this turbo delivers. all on dynojet
Old Nov 17, 2010, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RockmanX
go to the for sale section now go 8 pages and you will see at least 4 of them for sale at discounted prices
khmerpimpin - Ran over budget

R/T Ernie - Cams and springs

mrfred - "BBK fits my driving style, and I don't have as much money as I thought to experiment with different turbos."

masdog - "Looking for $1,800 shipped. Selling because I need some money to build my motor first. Oil pump failed last week!"

TeKiZero - "I am selling because I've been itching to try something different with my setup even though I am very content with this turbo."

So I thought about this long and hard and I decided that even though there are other stock frame turbo's out that can get more power.....the technology changes so fast. Look at where we are now. Just last year there was no FP Black or Ball bearing stock frame turbo's....5 years ago getting 500 on a stock block Evo was not common and usually required a GT35R kit.

This turbo fits the HTA Green crowd and lower. If you want more power then its not for you (IE FPRed, FPBlack, BBK-B).

I've spent enough money on my car to get to this point and while my power goals may not be met I'm confident that in a year or two there will be other BB offerings in stockframe format that will make the HKS an after thought. There isn o need to rush as progress is always being made. CBRD bought one, I'm sure FP has one. I wouldn't be surprised if there is not a Ball bearing option on some of our favourite stock framers.

Tuning is my biggest stumbling block. I had one tune (while the timing is looking like it will kill my motor) made the HKS feel like an animal on the street.

I don't have the money to go another direction and I'm happy with the path I choose for now. 450 + with better then stock spool is awesome.

Sorry to get off topic OP. Good luck with your setup. Hope your tuning sessions are going better then mine have.

Quick Reply: My new HKS turbo