Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

My winter IX RS project cleanup

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2010, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started on the fuse block last night and today, and it's coming along really good. I did it smart, and pulled the fuses and relays out of the fuse block months ago, so that I could guarantee that I didn't need them for other parts of the car. Now that I know the car works great without them, I can pull the wires out. Here is the whole harness with the tape off:

So far, I have found and eliminated this many wires. I haven't cut them yet, but I am taping them off and putting them aside.

Next, I am looking at how many wires I will have to extend, to run to the engine bay, since I plan on keeping the fuse block under the dash. There are 8 wires for the headlights, and then another 8 or so for things I have not figured out yet, those may get narrowed down. Here are those wires:

Then, on the other end of the harness, are the connectors that tie into the dash harness, which I assume goes to the ETACS module, and the gauge cluster, etc... I will keep going through the fuse block, I would guess that I only removed about half of the wires so far, but this is a GREAT start!

--mark
Old Nov 26, 2010, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Great job man. I remember doing this with my talon a couple years back. What a pain.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Did some grade-A depinning today on the fuse block itself. I started out by cutting the wires I knew I could get rid of (a/c, horn, fans), and then tracing them to everything they touch. I spent a lot of time on this, so I am confident it was done correctly. Here is what it looked like cut:

Next step was to flip it over, and use a thin screwdriver to release the clips on each wire, so that I could remove the pin. This is what it looks like after depinning:

This was the greatest number of wires removed yet. This pile is just the beginning. I need to reference the interior harness as well as the engine harness before I remove more wires, but I am confident that more will be removed from this fuse block harness:

Lastly, I have narrowed down the number of wires I have to extend, confirming that I will be keeping the entire fuse block in the interior, under the dash. I can't wait to see the finished projects to come in the weeks ahead.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 09:06 AM

looks like this will turn out pretty cool cant wait for the end results
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

So, the past 2 days have been a bloody mess, but I am pushing through. I wanted to pull the entire engine harness out of the car, so that I can clean that up. Since the car came with ACD, the whole ACD tranny ecu is wired into the engine harness, so that all has to go. Pulling the engine harness is the toughest thing I have done yet. The only way to get to all of the parts was to pull the intake manifold and charge pipe, and even then it was difficult.

After going through and pulling every clip possible (and only cutting 1 wire), I was able to snake everything through the firewall, and around all of the brake lines. This is the disaster I was working with:

But, I got it!

And now you can see, the engine bay is super empty. There are no wires at all (other than my thick cable that runs back to the fuel pump in the back). Very clean looking, and I hope to keep it as much like this as possible. By keeping the fuse block, and battery in the car, under the dash, it should keep the number of wires I need to run out into the engine bay to a minimum.

I have to take a break for a few days though. I keep forgetting that my back acts up when I bend over too much, and it's pretty raw right now. Give me a week though and I can go back out there without any pain. That week can also give me enough time to hopefully depin this harness, and get it ready again for install

--mark
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Get some ben gay and get back out there!

Great work!
Old Nov 28, 2010, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is awesome, and alot of work. i give you alot of credit...i hate wiring.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

amazing
Old Nov 28, 2010, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Got the tape off of the harness tonight, and started pulling the cut wires, just to start it off. The first picture is the harness laid out on the floor, so you can see what it all looks like, and then the second picture is the small pile of wires I pulled off of it so far, and my cat helping

Once someone can confirm that I can remove all of the wiring associated with the ACD tranny ecu, that will be huge! It's like 25+ wires, that go to who-knows what

-mark
Old Nov 28, 2010, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

wao man...great job....keep it up...im learning a lot from this thread... ////
Old Nov 28, 2010, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ridiculous...nice job man...I really don't think I would have the patience to do something like this...Keep the updates coming....
Old Nov 28, 2010, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 108 Likes on 86 Posts
def a great job bud..
Old Nov 29, 2010, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
mark,

you wanna come do mine?
Old Nov 29, 2010, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member