Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

My winter IX RS project cleanup

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2010, 09:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
very nice man. when you lengthen the wires do you just cut and solder/splice or do you actually run a entirely fresh wire?
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On these ones, I will probably cut and splice in the middle, but it will be done very carefully, with heat shrink and good solder. No crimp connectors on anywhere on this entire harness!
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
True im not a fan of crimp connectors either!
Old Dec 6, 2010, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey I also noticed on the main clutch line that goes from the riverside fender wall the front of the trans to that black piece( can't remember the name) but there usually a hard line, I was wondering if it could be swapped out for a steel braided line , it looks like that was done to yours, also there's another alternative other then steel braided, isn't it teflon braided and it comes in black if I remember correctly????.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by adam_79_2005
Hey I also noticed on the main clutch line that goes from the riverside fender wall the front of the trans to that black piece( can't remember the name) but there usually a hard line, I was wondering if it could be swapped out for a steel braided line , it looks like that was done to yours, also there's another alternative other then steel braided, isn't it teflon braided and it comes in black if I remember correctly????.
stm makes this piece, im not sure if its the one hes running but they make a 1 piece braided ss line
Old Dec 6, 2010, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

I believe I have one of the earlier custom STM clutch lines. They now have a different kit, but mine is a braided line that goes from the clutch master down to the slave. I may re-route it a little bit differently, now that my fuseblock is gone.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the info
Old Dec 6, 2010, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

The factory unit is half hard-line, and half rubber line, so it greatly increases the clutch feeling when you upgrade to the entire braided piece
Old Dec 6, 2010, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by neonglh
The factory unit is half hard-line, and half rubber line, so it greatly increases the clutch feeling when you upgrade to the entire braided piece
I'm also doing an engine bay OCD wire tuck, just learned how to soder lines incase I have to extend or shorten, was wondering what it means to splice wires??? Also if I soder different gauge wires like a 14g into a 16g would it mean disaster?
Old Dec 6, 2010, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by adam_79_2005
I'm also doing an engine bay OCD wire tuck, just learned how to soder lines incase I have to extend or shorten, was wondering what it means to splice wires??? Also if I soder different gauge wires like a 14g into a 16g would it mean disaster?
Splicing is adding a a wire, to an existing wire. You just cut the cover back a little, "splice" the new wire onto it, and then solder them together. It basically just Y's into the existing wire.

If you solder different gauges together, it just acts as a bottleneck. You should never solder smaller wire to an existing wire, but it's OK to go with a larger gauge.

--mark
Old Dec 6, 2010, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the info, yeah I figured a smaller wire into a bigger one would be bad births other way around should be ok, now I know about splicing, honestly if I knew how to put larger pics on here I would be doing a wire tuck right up, keep up the good work mark it's looking good.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Kicked on the heater out in the garage this morning, and started going at it again. I hooked up all of the wiring harness to the sensors, just to test everything, and make sure I didn't miss anything in the simplification process:

As you can see in this next picture, the harness is stretched pretty tightly to the original firewall opening. I think I am going to go to the opening in the middle, instead of the opening to the left, where the wire are currently going through. This will give me a more direct run, and will prevent me from needing to extend that one wire, which I thought I had to.

Lastly, after hooking up all of the wires, I found 2 more connectors which I think I can get rid of. I am not sure what they are for yet, so I need to verify, but I think one is the o2 sensor, and one may be a fuel pressure sensor, or something for emissions. Here are some shots of those connectors:

The harness is coming out one last time, doing the final tests, and then I should be able to put it in for good, and button everything up under the hood!

--mark
Old Dec 13, 2010, 09:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Very Nice! I have a feeling this might get done to my Silver Evo as well next year.

First plug above is your factory O2 sensor plug. 2nd plug looks like your MIVEC oil control solenoid plug. Usually the cold start fuel pressure solenoid plug looks like a Injector plug but shares the same harness that your MAP sensor.

Did you remove the MIVEC?
Old Dec 19, 2010, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

So, FINALLY grew a pair and went out to work in the garage again. I removed those last two plugs I was questioning (front O2 and evap solenoid), and then put the harness in for the last time. This pic shows how I ran the wires through the firewall:

Then, I started installing the intake manifold, and connecting everything. This was difficult for me, because I have never done an intake manifold on an Evo before, but I got it after about an hour off fiddling, and reaching under for bolts and connectors. Here it is with the manifold on, and most of the wires connected:

Then, I made it this far, so I might as well install the throttlebody, and the rest of the charge pipe, and see what it actually looks like, and... its bad ***!! There is nothing left in the engine bay!! It is just an engine and tranny floating in the middle, with no fuse block or battery under the hood. I absolutely love this

Also, I picked up a potential new forward facing toy. Time will tell *snky*

--mark
Old Dec 19, 2010, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice man...Glad to see you have everything pretty much done and back together! What the hell turbo is that and why is the compressor cover blue? Haha...it almost looks similar to those new ATP turbos...

Quick Reply: My winter IX RS project cleanup