Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

My EvoII makes for a fine tow rig.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2010, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is awesome screw u-haul im using my evo to move from now on lol
Old Nov 28, 2010, 01:55 PM

I would love to use a small trailer for getting my tires and tools to the track but have been told that towing a trailer with an Evo is not recommended - is this true? Anybody been trailering for a while? Any problems?
Old Dec 6, 2010, 05:02 AM
Evolving Member

I finally did my Land Rover engine/transmission trip yesterday and ran it over the weight scales at work today............YIKES!

Total combined weight of the trailer/engine/trans and misc stuff.....1477LBS!

The old Evo pulled like a transport truck with a Cat engine....no problems what so ever.Ran along the highway sections at 110/115KPH in 5th gear with no need to downshift at all.....and we have some big hills here.

Last edited by targa ten; Dec 6, 2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
i have thought about doing a small hitch and a baby trailer for race tires and stuff.... but yikes! thats alot of wieght to be hauling on such a small car.... the motor does have the power, and it is awd... but the awd wasnt designed to tow, so at that weight, your putting ALOT of strain on the drivetrain, the gears (not gearing, but the gears themselves) arent built for towing, and will eventually give under the stress... but thats not the big issue..lol.... STOPPING! the momentum of 1500 extra pounds pushing the car when u have to stop will bite you in the butt..not under normal driving conditions...but a panic stop, or a somewhat panic stop while driving downhill.... the car just doesnt have the weight of a full size truck to keep it planted to the ground when 1500lbs is knocking on your back door! lol...... im not knocking you at all! i just did alot of research when thinking of doing this myself, and these were the major issues that came up but in any case... be safe! and nice evo btw!
Old Dec 6, 2010, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vipers
your putting ALOT of strain on the drivetrain, the gears (not gearing, but the gears themselves) arent built for towing, and will eventually give under the stress... but thats not the big issue..lol.... STOPPING! the momentum of 1500 extra pounds pushing the car when u have to stop will bite you in the butt.. i just did alot of research when thinking of doing this myself,
I'm not sure on that......I think that once the gear is engaged its fine and even though its heavy,still within specs for the car....other than the weight of the trailer and me the car was empty.Time will tell on that,but I'm pretty sure a day of drag racing puts a LOT more stress on it and Evo's have been doing that for years.

I actually tried several,not full on,but pretty close,panic stops and the car copes quite well with it......think of it this way......people think nothing about hooking up 2000/2500 LBS behind a Subaru Forester....which is just an Impreza under the skin.

You can feel the weight back there,but in all honesty its no worse than putting 3 or 4 large.....LARGE people in the car.I think I've had as much weight in the car picking up my friends and suitcases at the airport before
Old Dec 7, 2010, 09:13 AM

this is so awesome. 1500lbs is alot. i dont see it would be that bad for the car if your not launching or in boost. its like having three 500lbs fat people in your evo.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by targa ten
I finally did my Land Rover engine/transmission trip yesterday and ran it over the weight scales at work today............YIKES!

Total combined weight of the trailer/engine/trans and misc stuff.....1477LBS!

The old Evo pulled like a transport truck with a Cat engine....no problems what so ever.Ran along the highway sections at 110/115KPH in 5th gear with no need to downshift at all.....and we have some big hills here.
Pretty epic. Care to post pics of how you have the hitch connected?
Old Dec 8, 2010, 01:48 AM

thats pretty cool, ive thought about doing something like this but to tow my 50's to the supermoto track
Old Dec 8, 2010, 04:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Polish Person
Pretty epic. Care to post pics of how you have the hitch connected?
No problem,I'll try and get some on the weekend.

On the II it was really easy,there was already four pre-drilled holes in the chassis legs just in front of the bumper.I welded eight flat washers there to give the bolts a stronger base as the sheet metal is thin in this area.Then I used the tow hook(or factory tie down)as another bolt on point.

Everything except for the flat washers un-bolts and easily removes from the car in a few minutes.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 06:35 AM

Wow , i gotta admit that is a 1st for me , haha

It will be funny to see an evo on the 1/4 wihile towing another evo on that thing 14 sec? sure!
Old Dec 8, 2010, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Wow, evos and rovers... you must love working on cars.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 02:45 PM

evo tow service to the rescue
Old Dec 8, 2010, 05:31 PM

If you are towing almost 1500 lbs with no problems, sounds like I don't really need to worry about a small trailer for track wheels and a few tools. Thanks for the update
Old Dec 8, 2010, 08:47 PM

sick rig...
Old Dec 9, 2010, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Brew City Evo
sounds like I don't really need to worry about a small trailer for track wheels and a few tools.
Should be no problem.

Quick Reply: My EvoII makes for a fine tow rig.