Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

STM Ricer 2011 Rebuild Picture Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2011 | 10:30 AM

could you make a catch can with three fittings on the top ? Two for the valve cover and another to vent the dipstick. I don't really want to drain blow by back in to the oil pan. I would rather leave the drain on the bottom of the catch can and just empty it.
Old Jan 27, 2011 | 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EmeryatSTM
His oil cap is a great idea but I just don't like the way it looks. To me that matters a lot. Every part we out on this car has to look and perform great.

-Em

I should have figured that would be your answer...haha...
Old Jan 27, 2011 | 10:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by silver97
could you make a catch can with three fittings on the top ? Two for the valve cover and another to vent the dipstick. I don't really want to drain blow by back in to the oil pan. I would rather leave the drain on the bottom of the catch can and just empty it.

For sure! IT would be about 15.00 more.

-Em
Old Jan 27, 2011 | 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by EmeryatSTM
For sure! IT would be about 15.00 more.

-Em
thanks for the reply. Do you think there would be any problems with catch can filling up with venting the dipstick and not draining back to oil pan ?
Old Jan 27, 2011 | 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Makes me proud to finally be an EB evo owner!
Old Jan 27, 2011 | 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Would be nice to have some kind of sight glass or clear tube on the side to check level in the can. Just an idea
Old Jan 27, 2011 | 09:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by silver97
thanks for the reply. Do you think there would be any problems with catch can filling up with venting the dipstick and not draining back to oil pan ?

I would not be to worried about it. I would just empty it and check every so often. I would think about adding a sight glass or something but there is just not enough room for one in the engine bay.

-Em
Old Jan 28, 2011 | 07:21 AM
Former Sponsor

So the motor is about ready to go into the car. One problem I have come across though, What turbo do I want to use? Hmm...

-Em
Old Jan 28, 2011 | 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Shoot for 8's on FP's 3794R?
Old Jan 28, 2011 | 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Draining back into the engine is a bad bad idea in my opinion. I've actually seen someone with a catch can who had this set up and something everyone should think about with ALL catch cans is how close it is to the engine etc due to the heating/cooling and condensation collection inside the can. I see alot of cans mounted higher up in the bay and I'm curious as to the water build up inside them. I know here in Austin with our temperature fluctuations (70 degrees today, 20 a few days ago) my catch can fills up with water after about 3-4 days. There is about 1% oil in there and 99% water so after realizing that and the potential for it to fill up and drain water into the engine I'm going to move my catch can to a location that is lower than everything else.

Em will the next version have some type of sight glass? How often are you guys checking the catch can up north? I saw you have yours mounted on the intake manifold so just curious what your thought is for combating that...drain it often? Thanks and great looking product and idea with the dipstick vent

Last edited by 05blue8; Jan 28, 2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2011 | 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by badev0
Shoot for 8's on FP's 3794R?
I concur.
Old Jan 28, 2011 | 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by 05blue8
Draining back into the engine is a bad bad idea in my opinion. I've actually seen someone with a catch can who had this set up and something everyone should think about with ALL catch cans is how close it is to the engine etc due to the heating/cooling and condensation collection inside the can. I see alot of cans mounted higher up in the bay and I'm curious as to the water build up inside them. I know here in Austin with our temperature fluctuations (70 degrees today, 20 a few days ago) my catch can fills up with water after about 3-4 days. There is about 1% oil in there and 99% water so after realizing that and the potential for it to fill up and drain water into the engine I'm going to move my catch can to a location that is lower than everything else.

Em will the next version have some type of sight glass? How often are you guys checking the catch can up north? I saw you have yours mounted on the intake manifold so just curious what your thought is for combating that...drain it often? Thanks and great looking product and idea with the dipstick vent
i agree with you here in Tennessee i get a lot of condensation inside the can from temperature changes. The condensation inside the can is the main reason i don't want to drain the crap in the can back to the oil pan. I think the dipstick vent is a great idea. I blew mine out the other day because i forgot to put the spring back on it and made a mess. I hope when i order one of these i wont have to worry about it as much.
Old Jan 28, 2011 | 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

8s on the 6765, maybe take the 8.75 on the 6765 timeslip from AWD while your at it and cement it at the 8.50 mark....
Old Jan 28, 2011 | 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by raiceboi697
8s on the 6765, maybe take the 8.75 on the 6765 timeslip from AWD while your at it and cement it at the 8.50 mark....
That would be sick
Old Jan 28, 2011 | 11:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 05blue8

I agree with you as well. As far as the sight glass goes, I can make it with one but it seems like it will just take up to much room.

-Em

Quick Reply: STM Ricer 2011 Rebuild Picture Thread